Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Re: The Definitive TE Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow View Post
Agreed! I just don't see TE material.

But as Meks said, he's a monster on teams.
Maybe he can be the new Ade Jimoh.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #17
That Guy
Living Legend

paul may be gone next year. paulsen is okay, but nothing special, fred is a get pass catcher but horrid blocker. it's a flawed group, but not a bad one. if paul doesn't learn to catch real quick though he'll be 3rd string on bench warming for most of the year.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #18
skinsnut
Playmaker

There was very little evidence in the preseason that showed that Niles Paul has great potential as a TE. His hands are weak. Paulsen seemed to outperform him from what I remember in catching the ball.

Keeping Niles Paul is all about creating mismatches. But a mismatch cannot make up for drops. No way is he better than Cooley at this point, no way...could he be?...sure...but so could paulsen or any other young TE for that matter. I always prefer a bird in hand though. To me, Niles Paul is a 3rd string TE after paulsen at this point, primarily due to his drops...which is appalling considering he was a WR!
Old 08-30-2012, 03:08 AM   #19
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

The positive thing about Niles Paul is he's very strong. For a tight end, he would be faster than most. OLBs will not be able to stay with him in coverage. That works out as an advantage for the Redskins offense. Mike Shanahan knew what he was doing when he made Paul a TE.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #20
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
There was very little evidence in the preseason that showed that Niles Paul has great potential as a TE. His hands are weak. Paulsen seemed to outperform him from what I remember in catching the ball.

Keeping Niles Paul is all about creating mismatches. But a mismatch cannot make up for drops. No way is he better than Cooley at this point, no way...could he be?...sure...but so could paulsen or any other young TE for that matter. I always prefer a bird in hand though. To me, Niles Paul is a 3rd string TE after paulsen at this point, primarily due to his drops...which is appalling considering he was a WR!
Agreed. All that weight he put on must have been in his hands. And he was drafted as a Receiver? Carlos Rogers has better hands.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #21
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Been watching Paul more closely. He had solid blocks every time I watched last night. Jury is out on his hands, but I have seen enough to think he's no Rod Gardner. Bottom line, I don't think he is nearly as bad at TE as some make him out to be. He's had four preseason games at the position - I suspect he will improve in all aspects of his game at the position as the season rolls on.

Unfortunately, I think Paul suffers from the perception that the team kept him rather than Cooley when, from all reports, Cooley's end here was pretty much a given before camp even started - Paul or no Paul.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #22
Monksdown
The Starter

Actions speak louder than words, and if the coaches are comfortable releasing Capt. Chaos in week 4 of the preseason, then they obviously are very comfortable with the overall talent we have at the position.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #23
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post

He had a bad game of drops in one preseason game. He said it was b/c, in learning a new position, he got away from his routine of catching 50 balls before practice and 100 after. Last night, he had one drop on three targets (one bounced off a defenders head). Are his hands suspect? maybe. I think, however, they are not nearly as bad as being made out to be and will improve. He is faster and stronger than Cooley and a ST demon. My bet is that he will be, by season's end, a significant contributor.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #24
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

It can't be denied that Paul has shown suspect hands in the preseason. However, his hands are better than he has shown. Perhaps he is just adapting to his new position and is thinking too much. Methinks that he needs the game to slow down for him. Then he can play more naturally and his hands will improve.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #25
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Fred Davis is our clear pass-catching TE. Niles Paul had good blocking skills as a WR, so I think that will be his role more than receiving. Blocking is the strength of his game at the TE position.

His speed is exceptional for a TE, so there will be some big plays, but I don't think we coverted Paul to TE to catch passes, it was to block.

He'll do fine in the role.

I'd love to see him return some kicks too. He can just run people over with his size and speed. Look how hard he hits when playing kick coverage. It will be the same on returns, only he'll have the ball in his hands.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #26
That Guy
Living Legend

for the record, i like paul, i think he's one of the top 53 players we have in camp, so he deserves a spot.

that said, this season, i think he's basically a good special teamer that will throw a block or two for the offense. anything else is a bonus. and maybe he does get it figured out and stud it up (it is his first attempt at TE), but if he doesn't (and we shouldn't expect it just as a generality), he's still going to help the team this year and be a solid player, just maybe not with the breakout performance that was hyped.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on Paulsen now that Cooley is gone...
Old 08-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #28
ethat001
Impact Rookie

I agree, Davis should be a beast this year if he stays off the weed.

Any concerns that he hasn't been targeted much in any preseason games?
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #29
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
I agree, Davis should be a beast this year if he stays off the weed.

Any concerns that he hasn't been targeted much in any preseason games?
Yeah at first take I was worried, but I think more of the theme in pre-season has been getting the ball to the newer guys. That's what I hope anyway.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:45 AM   #30
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

I honestly don't think we should be comparing Cooley vs Paul the real comparison is with Paulson. In the last few years we have seen Paulson keep improving and now he as at a point in which he has surpassed Cooley at that position. Add in the fact that he is a hell of a lot cheaper and they you go, the reason Cooley had lost his job.

From what we have read in the training camp coverage Paul was backing up Davis, meaning there are two different TE positions.

Paul also possess something else a 3rd string TE has to have, great special teams play.