Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #16
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Around the NFL Preseason week 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Still amazes me how pro owner fans are.

MJD was the Jags offense last year and let the NFL in rushing. If the Jags are too cheap to give him a deal, they should trade him. Unfortunately this is lose-lose situation for players like MJD (and Mike Wallace). Too bad the NFLPA couldn't work something out to allow players to be traded in situations like this.
He already has a deal. I understand he's underpaid at 5 mil per year but not showing up is costing him money he'll never get back. Show up and try and work out a deal while you're in camp. Never understood why guys hold out who are under contract.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #17
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Like what, I mean he is under contract,correct?So eveytime a player has one good year ....he can go where ever he wants ,regardless of his contractual obligations,according to you...correct?
well the flip side is players are asked to take pay cuts or are out right released when they under perform. i ynderstand why jones drew wants a new deal, i just don't like the holding out part. his teammates are counting on him and he's under contract.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Like what, I mean he is under contract,correct?So eveytime a player has one good year ....he can go where ever he wants ,regardless of his contractual obligations,according to you...correct?
Contractual obligations when contracts arent guaranteed? Change players to owners and change one good year to one bad year and all of a sudden contractual obligations gets thrown out the window.

If the owners want to cut players that no longer are valued at the contract price, then why shouldnt the players ask for the same thing when the opposite happens?
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #19
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Bottom line is MJD signed his contract a couple years back and is making like 5 million a year. Sorry but if anyone here was or is under contract at work and "held out " for more money, your bosses would laugh at u and say goodbye. He's a great player but He's not bigger than the jags organization, they can move on w out him. The NFL isn't The NBA, it's not a player league it's a TEAM league.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #20
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Jags should just sit and say nothing. They shouldnt entertain any trade offers. MJD will break, he's not gonna sit out the entire year. They are in a rebuilding process anyways, not like they are pushing for the playoffs. eff MJD

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #21
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Bottom line is MJD signed his contract a couple years back and is making like 5 million a year. Sorry but if anyone here was or is under contract at work and "held out " for more money, your bosses would laugh at u and say goodbye. He's a great player but He's not bigger than the jags organization, they can move on w out him. The NFL isn't The NBA, it's not a player league it's a TEAM league.
Bottom line is owners can stop every holdout by guaranteeing contracts. They choose not to, which is fine. But they need to stop complaining about holdouts when they choose to allow them for the right to cut people "under contract".
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
sandtrapjack
The Starter

I can appreciate the integrity of the players contract. If you sign a contract, you see it through. MJD signed a contract, so he should play that contract. Makes sense.

As for the "one-year" wonder argument. That if a player has one good year, he should hold out for a new contract. There's a bit more to that than what is on the surface. The answer for the most part is NO, that should not be allowed to happen (ala DeSean Jackson)

MJD led the league in rushing last season. But he also led the league in rushing attempts. And he also led his team in receptions. He averages over 8 receipts per game. And he averages over 21 rushes per game. That is almost 30 offensive touches per game, on a team that averaged a little over 60 offensive plays from scrimmage per game in 2011. Yeah, MJD LITERALLY represents 50% of the Jags total offense.

He gets more touches than any player in the league. That equates to more chances of injury than any other player in the league.

There was a new CBA signed last year. MJD's current contract was signed under the old CBA.

MJD wants to get paid..PERIOD. He wants (and based on what he brings to his team, probably deserves) GUARANTEED money. All the Jags have to do is sign him to an extension with an exceptable amount of guaranteed money, and MJD will play.

With more touches than most players in the league, it only takes one hit to end a season or worse a career.

Again, I appreciate the integrity of a contract. You signed it, play it, see it through.

And for the first time I can recall, I am actually on the side of the player on this one.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #23
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Difference is, you and I work at a place where we are easily replaced and are not in the NFL. The Jags need MJD more than he needs them. You take care of your own, this just shows that the Jags will suck for a while. They could afford Laurent Robinson to a 30 million dollar contract, but can't afford Drew?

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #24
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
I can appreciate the integrity of the players contract. If you sign a contract, you see it through. MJD signed a contract, so he should play that contract. Makes sense.
Again, I appreciate the integrity of a contract. You signed it, play it, see it through.

SO why don't you have that same mentality with the owners? They sign a player to a contract but are allowed to cut them at anytime without owing them the full contract. That street goes both ways. Either players should be allowed to hold out, or owners need to guarantee their full contracts. Owners should not have all the leverage.

Not sure why the NFLPA didn't do more in the lockout to combat this. NBA contracts allow some of them to "opt out", which is really something I expected to see in the NFL.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #25
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
SO why don't you have that same mentality with the owners? They sign a player to a contract but are allowed to cut them at anytime without owning them the full contract. That street goes both ways. Either players should be allowed to hold out, or owners need to guarantee their full contracts. Owners should not have all the leverage.

Not sure why the NFLPA didn't do more in the lockout to combat this. NBA contracts allow some of them to "opt out", which is really something I expected to see in the NFL.
Amazes me that more people don't follow that concept as well.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #26
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Yeah I am, no way we can afford mjd
Cut Cooley, cut Grossman, restructure a couple of guys like Moss and J. Brown and it's done. Give Dan Snyder credit, he's worked cap miracles before.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #27
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

As far as MJD is concerned. I doubt you will EVER see Shanahan pay big money for a RB. It's been proven that his backs can be replaced and provide the same production. It's in part why he moved Portis to us for Bailey. Simply put. Not going to happen and never will. (on paying any back huge money)
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #28
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Everytime someone says "cut Cooley" God kills a kitten and gives birth to a new rapper.
:-(
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #29
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
SO why don't you have that same mentality with the owners? They sign a player to a contract but are allowed to cut them at anytime without owing them the full contract. That street goes both ways. Either players should be allowed to hold out, or owners need to guarantee their full contracts. Owners should not have all the leverage.

We have to accept the fact that we will never see fully guaranteed contracts. The players and the NFLPA have accepted it.

That's why they meet in the middle. Where they can get a portion of that contract guaranteed..

And since we as fans don't necessarily get to see every little detail in a players contract, we have no way of knowing what they are owed.

All we here is what ESPN tells us. "Player A signed a 5 year deal with Team B worth 15 million". Thats all we get to see. Does that mean since the contract could be worth 15 million, that if the player is released he should get all 15?

We don't know how much of that 15 million is wrapped around incentives, or participation, or workout bonuses etc.

I agree with you in that common sense tells us that a contract is a contract is a contact and should be honored by both parties involved.

All I am saying is that a certain amount of a players contract should be guaranteed.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #30
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
We have to accept the fact that we will never see fully guaranteed contracts. The players and the NFLPA have accepted it.

That's why they meet in the middle. Where they can get a portion of that contract guaranteed..

And since we as fans don't necessarily get to see every little detail in a players contract, we have no way of knowing what they are owed.

All we here is what ESPN tells us. "Player A signed a 5 year deal with Team B worth 15 million". Thats all we get to see. Does that mean since the contract could be worth 15 million, that if the player is released he should get all 15?

We don't know how much of that 15 million is wrapped around incentives, or participation, or workout bonuses etc.

I agree with you in that common sense tells us that a contract is a contract is a contact and should be honored by both parties involved.

All I am saying is that a certain amount of a players contract should be guaranteed.

Is refusing to even negotiate an extension meeting in the middle though?