Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

University of Miami Football Program

Other Sports

Old 08-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
itvnetop
Playmaker

Re: University of Miami Football Program

We ain't no "U" at SC

"Dee, Miami's AD during most of the period covering Shapiro's allegations, is retired and no longer under NCAA jurisdiction. Still, it seems only fair he should spend a day at USC's Heritage Hall wearing a sandwich board with the word 'Hypocrite.'"

Bravo, Mr. Mandel.

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
We ain't no "U" at SC

"Dee, Miami's AD during most of the period covering Shapiro's allegations, is retired and no longer under NCAA jurisdiction. Still, it seems only fair he should spend a day at USC's Heritage Hall wearing a sandwich board with the word 'Hypocrite.'"

Bravo, Mr. Mandel.
Some people are saying that Miami should avoid the "death penalty." I say why? It's one thing if players are sneaking benefits behind the back of coaches and administrators. It's another thing when multiple sports with not only players but numerous coaches and even the PRESIDENT of the University taking money (see Donna Shahala's pic accepting a $50K check from Shapiro) from this sleazeball...

My point is, it's not just the players who are at fault, it's the coaches and head administrators at The U who not only looked the other way, but reaped the benefits as well. That program should go the way of the DoDo.

The NCAA has an epidemic on their hands. They need to put their foot down. This is one of the more disgraceful stories I can ever remember reading.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #18
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
The NCAA has an epidemic on their hands. They need to put their foot down. This is one of the more disgraceful stories I can ever remember reading.
So when this is Florida in two years, do we just lather-rinse-repeat? Punish Miami now, then gradually hit every SEC school one by one? Or should we actually solve the institutional problem that is the NCAA is completely useless as a force for positive change.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #19
That Guy
Living Legend

i agree. nuke it. inell the players, ban the coaches, kill the program.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #20
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
So when this is Florida in two years, do we just lather-rinse-repeat? Punish Miami now, then gradually hit every SEC school one by one? Or should we actually solve the institutional problem that is the NCAA is completely useless as a force for positive change.
idealy, those that don't take the warning and clean up immediately should get ban hammered.

If the NCAA wants to fix how it does business, that's fine, but if you never start enforcing your rules, then no one is ever going to follow them.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #21
FRPLG
MVP

This isn't a black and white deal. NCAA I-A football is a business. Major f*ing business. With lots of money. By enforcing their "rules" the NCAA is hurting their business. By ignoring their rules they end up killing real competition and hurting their business. They're in a real tough spot on this stuff. If there were an easy fix to the underlying problems then I think we can all be sure that the NCAA would have figured that out and implemented whatever changes were dictated. But whenever we are talking about a giant business with major money involved you're never going to eliminate pure human self-interest. It's what drives every single human-being alive. The only way for the NCAA to "fix" this is to fundamentally change what the sport is...which probably kills it as a business. Anyone think the NCAA is going to do that?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:00 AM   #22
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

How come an SEC team hasn't been caught in this wave (key phrase: This wave)? Shouldn't they be suspect number 1? For God's sake alumni would donate a kidney to 5 star recruits relative if they were to consider going to their school. Of course here in the South you would have to teach a lot of people what a kidney is but COME ON! Give me one SEC school. I just watched a 10 minute segment on the History channel talking about how College Football in the South. You have to find SOMETHING!

Of course I'll probably get my wish. "Yep those Vanderbilt Comadores just couldn't play by the rules, I tell you what."

Talk about the freaking Teflon conference. Tons of charges get filed but none of them ever stick.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #23
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Some people are saying that Miami should avoid the "death penalty." I say why? It's one thing if players are sneaking benefits behind the back of coaches and administrators. It's another thing when multiple sports with not only players but numerous coaches and even the PRESIDENT of the University taking money (see Donna Shahala's pic accepting a $50K check from Shapiro) from this sleazeball...

My point is, it's not just the players who are at fault, it's the coaches and head administrators at The U who not only looked the other way, but reaped the benefits as well. That program should go the way of the DoDo.

I agree with you, but ask you to implore the scenario that the same thing could be going on at Florida, because it's certainly not limited to teams like Miami, USC, etc. If that is the case, are you prepared for Florida to face extremely harsh penalties like Miami is about to receive?

I feel like it's a little hypocritical of the NCAA to act like it's individual schools that are doing this, but in reality it's probably widespread amongst all the big name schools. The system needs to be fixed, and I don't think the NCAA is prepared to accept it.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #24
FRPLG
MVP

Auburn and Miss. St. had some run-ins last year. Just wait...the SEC can't possibly be clean enough to avoid this. Is anyone convinced that some level of these types of "infractions" aren't occurring at every major I-A school?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #25
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I agree with you, but ask you to implore the scenario that the same thing could be going on at Florida, because it's certainly not limited to teams like Miami, USC, etc. If that is the case, are you prepared for Florida to face extremely harsh penalties like Miami is about to receive?

I feel like it's a little hypocritical of the NCAA to act like it's individual schools that are doing this, but in reality it's probably widespread amongst all the big name schools. The system needs to be fixed, and I don't think the NCAA is prepared to accept it.
"Fixing" it would essentially kill the money-making machine that it is. Hard to realistically see it any other way.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:43 AM   #26
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
"Fixing" it would essentially kill the money-making machine that it is. Hard to realistically see it any other way.
They won't even fix the BCS let alone the under the table deals that programs across the country use to "get an edge." NCAA is a terrible authority. Like some sort of messed up government where lassie-fare meets a dictatorship.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #27
FRPLG
MVP

I won't argue that the NCAA isn't terrible. I would say that the NCAA isn't in position to be as strong as many believe. Remember the BCS really has very little to do with the NCAA. It is a entirely different organization formed by the big conferences. But yes it is also awful. And yes the NCAA is clueless...I guess more accurately they're directionless. They don't necessarily have the priorities as to doing what is the most best for everyone involved. The operate from this arcane position of maintaining "amateurism" when the entire environment around these "amateurs" is about as least amateur as one could imagine.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #28
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

The way to make the best out of this crap is to view it as an opportunity. NCAA needs to admit they f'ed up in regulations and completely overhaul/change on how to enforce the rules. Or if they are going kill the NCAA as a business change the rules. Do something instead of idly sitting and letting it sink.

America is all about second chances. Come out, say you screwed up and try to change. The masses' opinion of the NCAA would be a lot better if they did that rather than the status quo.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #29
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I agree about your comments that the NCAA is useless here, but when you say "we," who do you mean? Who has oversight over the NCAA? No one really. Like that guy said, until they start enforcing their own rules, nothing is going to change.

For those of you who mention Florida, yeah, if this happened there I would be sick to my stomach as an alumnus, but I would expect the harshest of punishments.

Anyway, given that the NCAA is all about $, when you look at the massive deal the SEC just inked with ESPN, I'd be surprised if any of your SEC bellcow programs get in big trouble any time soon. And that's wrong.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #30
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Pretty much. That's why I doubt anything will change. Miami will get harsh punishment, life will go on, and we'll forget about this until the next school gets charged.