The Redskins Head Coach job is the best opening available

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
irish
Playmaker

Re: The Redskins Head Coach job is the best opening available

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
We are the 2nd or 3rd best jobs in the league. The Lions have a culture problem. A head coach can fix that and I believe they have pending cap issues.
Nobody has a bigger culture problem than the Skins.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Gary84Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Nobody has a bigger culture problem than the Skins.
Ah yes teh great american past time. The culture wars. Lert's leave it out of football please.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary84Clark View Post
Ah yes teh great american past time. The culture wars. Lert's leave it out of football please.
Talking about the culture of a locker room is very different than talking about general public culture wars.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Great thread. Houston is probably as desirable as DC, but not by much. That team has less talent on offense IMO, but more on defense.

The Lions are the most talented team looking for a new HC but have a really lousy cap situation and play in a damn tough division with the Packers and a Bears team that probably gets better next year.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Great thread. Houston is probably as desirable as DC, but not by much. That team has less talent on offense IMO, but more on defense.

The Lions are the most talented team looking for a new HC but have a really lousy cap situation and play in a damn tough division with the Packers and a Bears team that probably gets better next year.
Good points on Detroit's division and cap issues. You also have to wonder why they haven't been more successful with the talent they have on Offense - namely, a 5000 yard passer and Megatron.

If this year was an aberration for RG3, the next coach is going to have success without having to do anything.

I think the situation here is unique with the $36 mil cap penalty over the last 2 years. The situation should drastically improve by default. The new coach will have a much greater opportunity to immediately improve the roster and will have a full compliment of draft picks in just their second year.

What's the contract situation with Stafford? If he's taking up too much of their cap, it's going to be more difficult to put the pieces they need around him.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

IMO, the only job I have ranked below the Skins is Cleveland. Houston and Detroit have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and aren't too far away from running deep into the playoffs. Minny and Tampa run next talent wise, and do not have the circus atmosphere that Washington has. Plus they both have their first round picks in the coming draft.

This Skins team has to undergo a lot of turnover in order to compete and ship their #2 pick to St. Louis. Granted there are some key pieces, but the turmoil of the last several weeks plus Snyder's track record really hurts anyone willing to come here.

And I only have Cleveland below the Skins because of the way they handled this year. Gave a raw guy a chance, took away his running game to build for the future, had to go through a carousel of QBs and then dump him when he goes 4-12.

Don't get me wrong, I am hopeful that the situation will work out, but if I'm a coach looking for a job, I'm not jumping on the phone to my agent to tell him to get me an interview for Ringling Brothers.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Don't get me wrong, I am hopeful that the situation will work out, but if I'm a coach looking for a job, I'm not jumping on the phone to my agent to tell him to get me an interview for Ringling Brothers.
IMO, the circus just left town.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
That is my hope, but there is one remaining link to the past 14 years, and he's still here. As long as Snyder is the Skins owner, there are going to be outsiders that look at this team as a circus, and that accounts into what candidates think.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
That is my hope, but there is one remaining link to the past 14 years, and he's still here. As long as Snyder is the Skins owner, there are going to be outsiders that look at this team as a circus, and that accounts into what candidates think.
I agree with this post. I have had my share of hate on Snyder, as many of us have. I still believe that he gives his input who on who he thinks should play, and i believe that if the coaches disagree, he forces his will a little bit, which is his right i guess as owner. I think back to when Portis and other guys only had jobs because Dan said they did. Portis was at the point where he really shouldn't be a starter anymore, and they kept him in the lineup. But that's water under the bridge....

My thoughts are this: In 14 years, is it realistic to say that EVERY single coach was the wrong one for the job, or we just picked the wrong players, or the wrong coordinators, etc?? I just think it's hard to believe that every coach comes here and for the most part fails miserably because they are the wrong guy...i just think the problems start at the top and work their way down. It affects everyone and everything.

A new head coach = probably having a losing year next year (maybe not, we have an easy schedule supposedly), hoping for improvement by the 2nd year. Does Snyder fire again if this new coach (whoever he is) turns out 2 bad years in a row??? Questions that i think are worth asking...
Old 12-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Washington is the best franchise of all the vacancies, franchise QB, good nucleus of young talent (could be next year's KC), 5 SB appearances (even if it was long ago) best fan base, cap space, hungry owner.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
I don't think he's done anything over the last 4 years to scare anyone off and Bruce Allen is well respected. Snyder gave Shanny 4 years and didn't fire him mid-season in a knee-jerk reaction to their miserable record. And, again, he's not afraid to spend on coaches.

The next coach should feel confident that he'll get a fair shake and will be given every opportunity to win.

Last edited by 44Deezel; 12-30-2013 at 08:07 PM.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
Gary84Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I agree totally.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary84Clark View Post
I agree totally.
I know Smoot hates the term "the media", so take my use of it here with the meaning -- Those in media positions who will always try and spin a Skins story negatively.

Our next coach whoever it shall be, needs to be media savvy, there will be plenty of circus like questions until the coach and FO can get a handle on handling the media. In my opinion, this is one of BA's better attributes. He doesn't come out heavy handed, but he does seem to be able to get his message out, while maintaining a positive spin. If the coach is also likeable (ie not nicknamed demon bunny, or ratface) than that would be a giant step forward for this organization. Even the fact that Griffin left without stopping for a media circus may show that he kinda gets it too.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I know Smoot hates the term "the media", so take my use of it here with the meaning -- Those in media positions who will always try and spin a Skins story negatively.

Our next coach whoever it shall be, needs to be media savvy, there will be plenty of circus like questions until the coach and FO can get a handle on handling the media. In my opinion, this is one of BA's better attributes. He doesn't come out heavy handed, but he does seem to be able to get his message out, while maintaining a positive spin. If the coach is also likeable (ie not nicknamed demon bunny, or ratface) than that would be a giant step forward for this organization. Even the fact that Griffin left without stopping for a media circus may show that he kinda gets it too.
Great points and I totally agree about BA, he's very savvy. That said if our new HC is a little green I trust BA can manage the situation so it's not everwhelming. I also think a guy who mostly ignores the media would help lol.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

We can all agree that Snyder been a meddling owner, but most respectable source say he has been very hands off over the last few years. These reports of Snyder interfering with RG3 and the RG3 character assignation were leaked by “The Shanny”. For whatever reason, he wanted out of town last year. I believe he knew it wasn’t working between him and Baby Shanny. Instead of firing his son and admitting he made the mistake, he tried to get fired and take the heat from “lil Shanny”
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote