Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why Are We So Divided On Jason Campbell?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
12thMan
MVP

Re: Why Are We So Divided On Jason Campbell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
This isn't something new though. Haven't we experienced this with other QBs-Ramsey, Brunell, even others like Frerotte, Kilmer/Jurgensen, Humphries...?
Well, yes and no. Correct me if I'm wrong, but of the QBs recently drafted by the Redskins, Jason Campbell has lasted the longest at five years. And all the others were legit controversies. Frerotte/Shuler, Ramsey/Brunell, and Kilmer/Jurgensen. They were competing with a number two guy for the starting spot.

Campbell is unique in that he has had the reigns all to himself for a solid 3 1/2 years and we remain divided on whether or not he's the guy of the future. By now you would think most people would be on one side of the fence. Ask any Carolina fan what they think of Jake Delhomme and I'll bet most tell you it's time for him to go.

At what point does the future become the present and a part of the past?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Yea he did out pass Romo but Romo put together the drive when needed to win the game. How did JC respond? People then say we don't have a true #1 Wr but I could point out game after game open guys JC does not see.

He did put the team in position for 6 additional points that would have won the game for us, without shanks from Suisham.

You can't honestly blame Campbell for the loss, he played great, especially with an already weak line losing Rinehart. He was clearly better than Romo. More accurate, more productive, despite being pressured a lot more.

Campbell wasn't on the field when Dallas was allowed to drive for their only TD.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Yea he did out pass Romo but Romo put together the drive when needed to win the game. How did JC respond? People then say we don't have a true #1 Wr but I could point out game after game open guys JC does not see.
Doesn't this exactly summarize the argument as I laid it out. One side - stats showed he did well, Other side - yeah but he didn't make "the play"

The "IT" group (as demonstrated by FD here) need to realize no one is calling for JC to be anointed as QB of the future, and the Stat group (as demonstrated by Buster's post) need to stop (if they are) trying to demonstrate Campbell's profiency. One thing I am certain of is - if someone is not in the Stat group now, no amount of numbers are going to sway them.

I am willing to bet (and offer it as a suggestion) that if a poll were posted with 4 options : keep JC with fat cat contract; keep but only with a 2nd round tender; keep but w/ a 3rd round tender; get rid of the bum today, we would see that we all feel about the same. Any chance of adding that poll Mods?
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #19
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
He did put the team in position for 6 additional points that would have won the game for us, without shanks from Suisham.

You can't honestly blame Campbell for the loss, he played great, especially with an already weak line losing Rinehart. He was clearly better than Romo. More accurate, more productive, despite being pressured a lot more.

Campbell wasn't on the field when Dallas was allowed to drive for their only TD.
Yeah, stat wise he was alot better than Romo. When it came down to making a play, leading a team downfield for a winning TD drive in the final 5 minutes of the game, Romo was the better QB. Ill take the guy who can get the W all day long.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #20
FRPLG
MVP

I think too many people give QBs too much credit and blame. The fact is that very few QBs are so good that they can overcome serious talent deficiencies around them to perform well. We're talking like Manning and...

We're divided because too many people suffer from thinking our team is better than it really is. They think we're just good QB play away from winning 10 games easy. We're not. Yesterday was a shinning example of why we aren't. Campbell played pretty well. But we had no real passing game beyond 8 yards because we ran 3 step drops the whole day. When we didn't JC was running for his life. I think JC is too inconsistent to ever be a top tier QB but I also think he is good enough to lead just about any decent offense in the league rather capably. I think you can win games with JC at QB. I think you can win a lot of games. In NE he throws for 3800 yards and 30-some TDs. He does. Very little he does says otherwise. In NY he has similar stats as Manning. Is he awesome in a Brady/Manning/Brees way? N0. In the Rivers/Rogers mold? Not quite. But he's the next level down with 6-7 other QBs. But most people want results and think that a QB can magically create a pocket and open WRs for himself it seems.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #21
MTK
\m/

By nature the QB always gets too much credit when things are going well, and takes too much blame when things aren't going so well.

What's amazing is through all the drama and injuries this year he's still playing solid. Yeah he's not a put the team on his back and carry you kind of player, but really when you look around the league there's not many QB's that are. In reality you're talking about 3 guys, maybe 5 tops.

That said I think a change of scenery is in order for both sides. He has the skills you want in a QB but I don't think his time here has been ideal as far as the way you want to break in a QB in this league. New systems every other year, ownership trying to pull the rug out from under you multiple times, and a broken down offensive line.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #22
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post

I have a problem with that last line. Our defense gives up only one score all game and it's their fault we lose? REALLY? C'mon man, JC has got to be able to put up more than 6 points in a game like that... The O has to be able to consistently score in the 20's for us to make the next step towards respectability.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #23
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I think too many people give QBs too much credit and blame. The fact is that very few QBs are so good that they can overcome serious talent deficiencies around them to perform well. We're talking like Manning and...

We're divided because too many people suffer from thinking our team is better than it really is. They think we're just good QB play away from winning 10 games easy. We're not. Yesterday was a shinning example of why we aren't. Campbell played pretty well. But we had no real passing game beyond 8 yards because we ran 3 step drops the whole day. When we didn't JC was running for his life. I think JC is too inconsistent to ever be a top tier QB but I also think he is good enough to lead just about any decent offense in the league rather capably. I think you can win games with JC at QB. I think you can win a lot of games. In NE he throws for 3800 yards and 30-some TDs. He does. Very little he does says otherwise. In NY he has similar stats as Manning. Is he awesome in a Brady/Manning/Brees way? N0. In the Rivers/Rogers mold? Not quite. But he's the next level down with 6-7 other QBs. But most people want results and think that a QB can magically create a pocket and open WRs for himself it seems.
Good post.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #24
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

We are so divided on Campbell because he has played as a middle-of-the-road qb. Not bad but not great, either. This situation invites projections and criticisms from both sides, especially in Washington, where Monday morning quarterbacking is a revered tradition.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #25
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

I think the issue stems from there not being a true leader on offense. I feel like Campbell can be a successful QB in this league, but at this point, I'm not sure he'll ever get a fair shake in DC. He needs to put things aside and be The Leader of this offense. Guys have been waiting for this to happen, and I honestly don't think it will. The offense so desperately wants Campbell to take charge and lead them into battle. And while he's got the physical tools to make things happen, he doesn't have the tools mentally to be the leader he needs to be.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #26
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Doesn't this exactly summarize the argument as I laid it out. One side - stats showed he did well, Other side - yeah but he didn't make "the play"

The "IT" group (as demonstrated by FD here) need to realize no one is calling for JC to be anointed as QB of the future, and the Stat group (as demonstrated by Buster's post) need to stop (if they are) trying to demonstrate Campbell's profiency. One thing I am certain of is - if someone is not in the Stat group now, no amount of numbers are going to sway them.

I am willing to bet (and offer it as a suggestion) that if a poll were posted with 4 options : keep JC with fat cat contract; keep but only with a 2nd round tender; keep but w/ a 3rd round tender; get rid of the bum today, we would see that we all feel about the same. Any chance of adding that poll Mods?
keep with 3rd round tender. someone will do that

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #27
SouperMeister
Playmaker

I honestly thought that the Dallas game was Campbell's best of the season. He didn't quit on reads too early, and he kept his focus down field, accepting that he was going to get hit upon releasing the throw. Starting 10 for 10 on third down passing is doubly impressive given the constant pressure that he was under. You can bet that this performance will open another team's eyes if Campbell is allowed to walk.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #28
FRPLG
MVP

I am increasingly lost on this "leadership" stuff. What is it that he doesn't do? He isn't outwardly rah-rah or overtly animated...but what have we had to get him excited and who cares whether he is animated in conversations like Peyton Manning. Doesn't it just matter whether he is having the conversations? By all accounts he puts in proper work, his teammates like him and come foward to defend him. It sounds like he has a lot of respect in the locker room. Sounds leaderish to me.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #29
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
I honestly thought that the Dallas game was Campbell's best of the season. He didn't quit on reads too early, and he kept his focus down field, accepting that he was going to get hit upon releasing the throw. Starting 10 for 10 on third down passing is doubly impressive given the constant pressure that he was under. You can bet that this performance will open another team's eyes if Campbell is allowed to walk.
I bet he's already on Oakland's and San Francisco's radar?

Maybe a straight up trade Campbell for Alex Smith?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #30
warriorzpath

He played well yesterday. He just needs to continue it in the next game.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote