Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Do we REALLY need a star DE?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-25-2005, 03:21 PM   #16
Kevikazi
Special Teams

Re: Do we REALLY need a star DE?

I would like us to get a pass-rusher with good enough speed to chase down a QB. Wynn and Daniels had Eli Manning on the run several times, but couldn't catch him. Manning just out ran them and threw the ball away.
Kevikazi is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-25-2005, 04:43 PM   #17
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
As usual people's patience runs thin really quick around here.

I've always been a Jacobs supporter myself, but I'm starting to wonder when is the guy gonna step up already?

Perhaps he's just not getting open, or perhaps the offense is just so heavily geared toward Cooley and Moss (which isn't a bad thing right now). I'm guessing it has more to do with the latter.
I know I posted before the season started and early in the season my high hopes for Jacobs, but he hasn't produced for the reasons u've listed. The main passing options are and should be Moss and Cooley but I think something that would help get Jacobs into the game in on some slants and crossing patterns or even swing it out to him on one of the wr screens which the team seem to pull off pretty well.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:41 AM   #18
jrocx69
Special Teams

we still need a pass rushing de, and wynn is more than likely a cap casualty at the end of this season due to a whopping 0.5 sacks in 15 games with a cap in the multi million range. and our compliment to moss should be a possession wr, not so much as fast, but 6'2" to 6'5" with a 4.5 to 4.6 40 range with hands. i like Maurice Stovall from Notre Dame in the draft or in FA market: Eric Moulds (must be in budget), Randy Hymes (Bal), Joe Jurevicius (Sea), Arnaz Battle (SF)
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:08 AM   #19
amorentz
Special Teams

I want us to sign Aaron Kampman from Green Bay. I think hed be a great fit in Williams' system, hes young and he shouldnt cost a bundle...
amorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:28 AM   #20
Hijinx
The Starter

If you look at the 3 QBs of the other 3 teams in the NFC East, none of them handle presure all that well. Three places where our D has been hurting this year is presure on the QB(without the use of alot of biltzing), getting turnovers, and giving up the big play vs the run. Getting presure on QBs will lead to more INTs and thus more offence chances, even with a shaky 2nd WR. Alot of the big run plays came from cutbacks where whoever was the edge guy(weather it be a DE, CB, or LB) over-pursues and the RB runs right past him.

Really I aways felt the 2nd WR was there just to keep Defences honest and away from too much double teaming of your other weapons. If he catches 2-3 or at least sees a few thrown his way deep, then he did his job.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:25 AM   #21
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

At the Dallas game I paid particular attention to Jacobs because this was on my mind, he had his man beat on a consistant basis. That out he ran that Brunell totally bombed the throw on early, he coulda had that all day (maybe not QUITE that open) but he was way open a lot. I simply don't feel either Brunell or the system puts much emphasis on looking for him.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:18 PM   #22
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
As usual people's patience runs thin really quick around here.
What exactly is "really quickly"? Jacobs has produced nothing in the three years he's been on the team. Patten didn't have great numbers for the eight games he played, and everyone is ready to cut him though.:confused-

As far as the defensive line, we definitely still need a pass rushing defensive end. Daniels sudden leap in pass rushing ability is a direct result of the return of Cornelius Griffin. But even with Griffin, the line only managed one sack against the Giants, even though they were missing a few starting offensive lineman.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 12:23 PM   #23
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
What exactly is "really quickly"? Jacobs has produced nothing in the three years he's been on the team. Patten didn't have great numbers for the eight games he played, and everyone is ready to cut him though.:confused-

As far as the defensive line, we definitely still need a pass rushing defensive end. Daniels sudden leap in pass rushing ability is a direct result of the return of Cornelius Griffin. But even with Griffin, the line only managed one sack against the Giants, even though they were missing a few starting offensive lineman.
The knee jerk reactions are what I'm talking about.

If I had a dollar for every time someone called for a player to be cut, I wouldn't have to work right now.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:11 PM   #24
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
At the Dallas game I paid particular attention to Jacobs because this was on my mind, he had his man beat on a consistant basis. That out he ran that Brunell totally bombed the throw on early, he coulda had that all day (maybe not QUITE that open) but he was way open a lot. I simply don't feel either Brunell or the system puts much emphasis on looking for him.

Nice job with that Daseal, it's tough to pick up on that kind of thing on TV. When you take into account Pattens lack of production before he was hurt who is a proven game breaker, I have a hard time judging Jacobs in our offense, I have felt all along that that was a big problem with the offense in not utilizing all their weopons, a WR can't throw the ball to himself, and just because he's not thrown to doesn't mean he can't catch, or get open, I think if we made a concentrated effort to get him more involved he would take off as a real nice #2 or 3 WR.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote