The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #16
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Re: The Rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
as much as i hate to admit this, i agree. im friends with a ton of minorities, and they all hate affirmative action, which is what this is loosely based on. lets go with qualifications, not skin pigmentation
There's no reason to be ashamed that you agree with me. Even your homeboy Saden does sometimes. It's rare, but it happens. All I want is the Redskins to win, be it with a black dude or not. Who gives a fuck?

I'll admit it. I'm too weak to carry the load of other people's resentments on my back. Let someone else do it.

Advertisements
Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #17
freddyg12
Playmaker

Re: The rooney rule is it fair< did the redskins follow the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanSince91 View Post
Well, Im going to assume that most in here are not people of color. For those who are of color, we find it hard to just "accept" things off of merit, when it comes to race, just because someone says that they followed the rules.

The Rooney rule is a positive step in the right direction for diversity amongst the head coaching and GM ranks in the NFL. However, it is far from being perfect, and even farther from actually having an working long term. When one can use the current loopholes to bypass the system, it defeats the purpose when we see a guy resigns and then a replacements in less than 24 hours. I am skeptical of the time it took from hearing about Cerrato's resignation to the time we found out the Allen would be replacing him.

Now, can we honestly sit here and say, with that time frame, that there was enough time to SERIOUSLY consider an African American, Asian America or Hispanic/Latino for the GM job? I seriously doubt that is possible.

I honestly feel that if Dan Snyder did follow the Rooney Rule, it was just so that he could pacify the league. He really just wanted to bypass the system so he could get his man. Snyder is a man who likes to get what he wants by any means necessary, and it would make perfect sense for him to say he considered someone seriously when all he did was go through the motions in order to get Allen.

Now, if there is anyone who doubts me, you can help us all find the truth if we can answer these two requests:

1) find out the minority or minorities that we did interview for GM job

2) then lets find out how many people of color(that are not Jerry Gray or Greg Blache) we interview before Shannahan, Gruden, Cowher, or Holmgren show up in Burgundy and Gold.

Im just saying, don't be so quick to drink the Kool-Aid. Racism still exists. I applaud TO Killa for bringing this up, and I pray that all those who are not in the "minority" would take this issue seriously, because one day those in the majority may find themselves in the minority.

A wise man once said, "The first shall be last, and the last shall be first." Things have a way of correcting themselves, while teaching a valuable lesson. One would be wise to heed such a lesson.
Unless you're privy to their process, we have no idea what the timeframe involved here was. In fact, just think about the paragraph you wrote before the sentence I bolded. In it you say you doubt there was enough time to seriously consider a minority.

Well, explain then how there was enough time to seriously consider anyone? So are you assuming that Allen was picked for the job immediately after Cerrato resigned? Or are you assuming only Allen was identified as a candidate.

The time & the timing had nothing to do w/the Rooney Rule, the Skins had obviously been planning on making a move for a long time. How do you know who they talked to and how much they talked to them?

The league office said that the Skins complied w/the rule. That's enough for me. I don't think you can assume that the Skins didn't "seriously" consider a minority. Even if they didn't consider one seriously, I don't think you can assume that it's because they wanted a white GM, it's because they wanted a specific GM, one they feel fits the team & has a history w/them.

ON a somewhat related note. If Zorn is fired, which seems to be the consensus, I would love to see Jerry Gray get his chance as HC here. If not as a head coach, I hope he stays as DC & Blache retires.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
jgalecpa
Special Teams

I believe in what Dr. King said. Judge people by the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

Quotas of any type tend to lead to problems, not solve them.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
There's no reason to be ashamed because you agree with me. Even your homeboy Saden does sometimes. It's rare, but it happens. All I want is the Redskins to win, be it with a black dude or not. Who gives a fuck?

I'll admit it. I'm too weak to carry the load of other people's resentments on my back. Let someone else do it.
dude, w/a name like Trample the Elderly, you've got help carry the load. It's Christmas after all!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #20
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
dude, w/a name like Trample the Elderly, you've got help carry the load. It's Christmas after all!
That's a sick joke about our O-line. I really have nothing against the elderly except their driving skills. There's another thread for that.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #21
SkinsFanSince91
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Sources are saying that we interviewed at least one.. around 10 days ago or so.

What do you think is enough time to consider a minority? Does that vary from the time it takes to consider anybody else?

Do you have an statistics on the percentage of men that want these jobs? That are qualified?

It's ridiculous to look at it in terms of race when there are qualified people of many races. There are what.. 6 or 7 black head coaches? Right around 20pct of the coaches, which is a higher percentage than the actual racial demographics of the USA. Maybe not the same as players in the NFL, but honestly, not everyone that has played is good enough to coach.. or even become a broadcaster, so I don't really look at that argument much.

Coaches of all colors have had successes and failures and that is the way that it will remain. When we no longer have to bring race into the discussion it will be much better. Unfortunately it seems to come equally from both sides, it won't disappear just from the whites overlooking it.
I agree.

To answer your question. I do not have a formula or percentage to equate equality in the NFL, but I do believe a week is enough time for any franchise to ensure their due diligence..

All I want is to know who they interviewed, and maybe, just maybe have some of that information available after the selection is made.

It would have been nice to hear some of that information during the press conference. When none of that info ever comes out, then it just looks like the info that "we satisfied the commissioner's taste" seems like PR "smoke."

In short, the Rooney rule is a positive step in right direction to attaining parity in the executive ranks of the NFL coaching and management ranks, but process, in its current form, lacks transparency and allows teams to sidestep the spirit and intention of the rule. Changes could be made to enhance that original intent of the Rooney rule.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #22
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I'm with the people who say that it is unfair to waste the minority's time with the interview, when it is obvious that the team already has someone that they want to hire.

I would not want to be the minority person whose time is wasted just for the sake of a team pacifying the rule...
Exactly, this is my view also.

Rules and PC ideas like this are the main reasons race is even an issue in peoples' minds still. I do not see skin color, but if I were hiring and forced to consider (discriminate) it as a factor in recruiting and screening, it's unnecessarily making race a point of qualification/disqualification.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #23
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I agree.

To answer your question. I do not have a formula or percentage to equate equality in the NFL, but I do believe a week is enough time for any franchise to ensure their due diligence..

All I want is to know who they interviewed, and maybe, just maybe have some of that information available after the selection is made.

It would have been nice to hear some of that information during the press conference. When none of that info ever comes out, then it just looks like the info that "we satisfied the commissioner's taste" seems like PR "smoke."

In short, the Rooney rule is a positive step in right direction to attaining parity in the executive ranks of the NFL coaching and management ranks, but process, in its current form, lacks transparency and allows teams to sidestep the spirit and intention of the rule. Changes could be made to enhance that original intent of the Rooney rule.
Teams usually don't air out things like that and I'm not sure why it would change for our situation. Anybody who knows who they want is giving more than one interview out on a guy that they don't plan on hiring, regardless of race. It would be in bad taste to announce the guys that you didn't select in the press conference.

If the Rooney Rule contributed to some of the successful black coaches then I agree that it was a good step. Many of them have proven that they can lead teams quite well.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #24
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
There's no reason to be ashamed that you agree with me. Even your homeboy Saden does sometimes. It's rare, but it happens. All I want is the Redskins to win, be it with a black dude or not. Who gives a fuck?

i definitely agree with this. twice in one day, no wonder the snow is coming
Old 12-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #25
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I'm with the people who say that it is unfair to waste the minority's time with the interview, when it is obvious that the team already has someone that they want to hire.

I would not want to be the minority person whose time is wasted just for the sake of a team pacifying the rule...
It's not a waste of time when at least they are given a chance, even if it's a small chance that they may get the job.

That's all you can ask for is a chance.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #26
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
It's not a waste of time when at least they are given a chance, even if it's a small chance that they may get the job.

That's all you can ask for is a chance.
Real MOFOs don't ask!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #27
elamin24
Special Teams

This whole thread is dumb. How do you define a "race"? Color, hair, what?
Tony Dungy is way lighter than some of my "white" friends. What percentage black do you have to be for rooney rule? Race is a MYTH people!!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #28
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamin24 View Post
This whole thread is dumb. How do you define a "race"? Color, hair, what?
Tony Dungy is way lighter than some of my "white" friends. What percentage black do you have to be for rooney rule? Race is a MYTH people!!!!
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #29
rbanerjee23
The Starter

whatevs i want to see what allen can do

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #30
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
I agree.

Well if an owner is dumb enough to not look at what they feel is the most qualified person because of their color then thats their stupid ass. If I was black the last person I would want to work for or with is the person forced to do so.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote