Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #16
freddyg12
Playmaker

Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Guys the Rooney Rule is a joke....they are going to interview minority candidates and then offer Shanahan the job....there is no rule that says Shanahan can't be interviewed 1st...
Jerry Gray? I would guess that they'd interview him after the season. I doubt he would be seriously considered but I would love to see him get a chance here as HC if Zorn is gone.

Advertisements
Old 12-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #17
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
The team was very careful to adhere to the Rooney Rule in the hiring of Bruce Allen, therefore I see no reason why the same safeguards will not be in place where Shanahan is concerned.
Agreed. Now can people drop this f'ing subject?
R.I.P. #21
Old 12-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #18
Texanskin
Special Teams

I believe in the Rooney Rule and I am glad it extends to GM as well. Question: if we were ALREADY in negotiations with Shannahan..doesn't that mean Dan was doing this BEFORE bruce showed up???? This means he is STILL calling the shots instead of the GM...hmmmmmm
Old 12-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #19
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Agreed. Now can people drop this f'ing subject?
No. You know what the F'ing issue is now? I keep hearing that the media have contacted the NFL and have been advised that the Redskins did satisfy the Rooney Rule several times over. The media has asked for the names of who was contacted and they were told they don't give out the names of contacted personel due to privacy issues.

Now the media is playing it that as the Skins did not make it known the job was available so they could interview whoever they wanted instead of interviewing well over qualified candidates. In other words some candidates who might have been better qualified did not get interviewed because they did not know the job was available to apply for.

Who the hell cares? The rule is in place saying they have to interview someone. It doesn't say they have to hire the best candidate. Last I knew the owners owned their teams and could interview whoever they wanted and hire whoever they wanted. Are we now going to put stipulations on owners as to who they can talk to and who they can hire? Who cares if there were more qualified candidates out there....perhaps Snyder didn't feel he could get along with them so he didn't interview them.

I think we all know what happened, but I think it's idiotic for the media to start complaining even after they have been told the team met the rule.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #20
47FAN
Impact Rookie

how do we know zorn hasnt agreed to take lesser roll there for it opens the headcoaching job up. just a thought
Old 12-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #21
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanskin View Post
I believe in the Rooney Rule and I am glad it extends to GM as well. Question: if we were ALREADY in negotiations with Shannahan..doesn't that mean Dan was doing this BEFORE bruce showed up???? This means he is STILL calling the shots instead of the GM...hmmmmmm
I thought I read somewhere that it was Shanahan who told Snyder (per rumors) that Allen would be a good fit. Plus it all sounds like Allen will for the most part be dealing with contractual stuff vs. player aquasition.

Shanahan was contacted back in Oct. I don't doubt that a deal was arranged in regards to him coming in at the end of the season. Plus the reports are Shanahan is trying to assemble a team of coach's or has been calling around. You don't hear that about Gruden.

Lastly I don't think the Rooney Rule states when a HC is fired that's when the interview process starts and a minority has to be interviewed. It has been reported that Dungy was contacted and he turned down the job. Rooney Rule taken care of.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #22
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Its very easy to say the Rooney rule is wrong, without properly understanding why it is in place. Its not like the general job market, which is much more porous and open. The coaching and involvement with the NFL was very much a "Country-Club" only deal. There have to be rules to prevent that kinda of self-sustaining discrimination.

There never would be a qualified minority candidate if they dont get a chance.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #23
pg86
No new threads for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47FAN View Post
how do we know zorn hasnt agreed to take lesser roll there for it opens the headcoaching job up. just a thought
I predicted he'd take a demotion We don't know I mean why wouldn't he be the QB coach?
Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #24
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
You know I thought the same thing. If Zorn has realized his abilities and perhaps knows he an awsome QB coach but most likely not wanting a HCing gig again, I wonder if he would be retained as QB coach. I imagine it would be a humbling experience to step down but if he played his cards right he would still have a job and more then likely get more respect then he's getting now.

I guess it all depends on if he could humble himself to step down and admit he's a better QB coach. My gut say no and he is gone.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #25
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
I can't ever recall when a head coach has stayed with a team the next year after losing his head coaching role....does anyone know if thats ever happened?
Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #26
47FAN
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg86 View Post
I predicted he'd take a demotion We don't know I mean why wouldn't he be the QB coach?
i have thought the same thing for a couple of weeks now.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #27
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Do you guys think Zorn will actually take a demotion? Again? That is harsh, we already gutted him once. I dont know if I could stomach that again, if I was in his position.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #28
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I can't ever recall when a head coach has stayed with a team the next year after losing his head coaching role....does anyone know if thats ever happened?
Didn't one of Dallas's coaches do that? He may have been an interim coach though. Never mind. Dave Campo was HC for the Cowgirls, was let go, went to another team then rejoined the Cowgirls as secondary coach. Don 't know if a HC was let go and stayed with the same team before but I have a feeling whoever becomes our coach will bring in their own people.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #29
skinsfan69
Living Legend

until a zorn is fired and a new coach is named all of this is just speculation and rumors.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #30
pg86
No new threads for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Do you guys think Zorn will actually take a demotion? Again? That is harsh, we already gutted him once. I dont know if I could stomach that again, if I was in his position.
I get the feeling Jim knows where he's needed and its not the HC position plus dans got the money to retain him at a lower position lets be honest. Not just that can Jason take another system change hell does he even stay???
Closed Thread