Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Jay Gruden thread.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #16
dmek25
MVP

Re: The Jay Gruden thread.

im pro jay. with that being said, i saw almost next to zero adjustments made after half time, on monday night. and some very bad clock management at the end of the game. it should have, at the very least, gone to OT.

Advertisements
Old 10-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #17
rocnrik
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
From the guy who called 0-4?
Yep I called it..tired of having expectations only to crash and burn! We looked like crap in pre season..looked not good against Philly,Won in a shoot out vs rams,Beat a over rated Raiders and lost on road vs Chiefs..so I still don't say we are great only vastly improved. the effort is there. WE could have lost the rams game..we could have won the chiefs game. We will see.
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #18
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
Yep I called it..tired of having expectations only to crash and burn! We looked like crap in pre season..looked not good against Philly,Won in a shoot out vs rams,Beat a over rated Raiders and lost on road vs Chiefs..so I still don't say we are great only vastly improved. the effort is there. WE could have lost the rams game..we could have won the chiefs game. We will see.
My comment was more so how do you call us to go 0-4, after 3 years of Jay's head coaching, and then say you are Pro Jay Gruden?

Now I get that we exceeded your expectations so far, but it seems like based on your expectations for the season you should be solidly for a different HC.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #19
VirgilTibbs

I don't even feel as if he is head coach material. Perhaps a good coordinator or assistant, but he sucks as a head coach. He should have never been hired and is only here because no one serious would consider the skins coaching job and Bruce Allen wanted to hook up his buddy.

He has some positves, but the negatives far outweigh them. He fails in the fundementals of calling a football game, and his game and clock management has always been poor. He continues to make the same fundamental mistakes 4years in. Many of the skins losses can be attributed not to penalties, drops, injuries or turnovers, but to his mistakes or simple mismanagement of the game clock. He's quick to throw his players under the bus in press conferences, yet rarely takes blame for his obvious blunders.

I actually think he is holding the team back and they are underachieving (So many points left on the field against the Raiders). The team looks better this year because the talent is better on defense, and the teams coordinators have improved, however Gruden will continue to be the downfall.

His playcalling is atrocious in the redzone, and he overthinks things. (Chiefs game inside their 5 yard line he runs on 2 downs and then has Cousins QB keep on 3rd down. How about throwing a fade to one your 6'4" WR's?)

He's kept Doctson in the doghouse, then finally gets him in the games but only has him targeted once or twice. Then he expects the rookie to catch the game winning td? Regardless if he caught it or not, the Chiefs would have had an oppurtunity to win the game with 2 timeouts due to Gruden leaving close to 50 seconds on the clock by calling an unnecessary timeout with 28 seconds left on the play clock. https://www.thescore.com/news/1389597

Mack Brown shows the best vision, burst and speed out of all the rbs, yet he doesn't even activate him.

The 2 most explosive offensive players on the Redskins (Thompson and Crowder) are only targeted once each all game against the Chiefs.

The team likely would be 3-1 or 4-0 with just an average head coach.
VirgilTibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #20
MTK
\m/

Don’t feed the troll folks
Old 10-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #21
Schneed10
A Dude

Coming into the season I had concerns about whether he knew how to hire the right assistants, simply because the Joe Barry, Perry Fewell disasters were just terrible. So far I have absolutely no complaints about Greg Manusky. Jim Tomsula and Torrian Gray are making a positive impact too.

I think the team is playing hard, he schemes it well, he game plans well, and the team largely seems prepared going into each game. He's no Joe Gibbs when it comes to mastering half time adjustments, but he's not a disaster either.

I'd definitely keep him. The roster is deeper now than I can ever remember it being. I think what separates us from Super Bowl contenders at this point is star power. Those teams have a couple players who make unbelievable impact. We have a bunch of solid players with a lot of depth behind them.

Our #1 CB and our LT are star level. We could use a couple more. But Jay's good.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #22
metalskins
The Starter

Pro Jay. Even more pro Jay if the 'skins make the playoffs this year. He will be here for at least 6 years.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #23
Schneed10
A Dude

Maybe Jonathan Allen becomes one of those stars.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #24
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Don’t feed the troll folks
I was looking for the sarcasm tag at first. Legit thought it was a gag.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #25
MTK
\m/

The Jay Gruden thread.

He posts once a year and it’s always pure garbage. Checked his IP and sure enough he’s been banned before. It’s always so obvious with these fools.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #26
over the mountain
Playmaker

Jay knows what he is doing. Stood up to management to get Cousins over RG3. Seems to work well with assistants.

Better than Allen/Snyder deserve imo. We are lucky .... wait, do I have to give Allen credit for bringing Jay in?
Old 10-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #27
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
I think he will be a winning coach but never a SB winning coach. Still I would roll with him for another 4 years regardless of the KC resolution

There have been several coaches who fell into the "winning coach" category who have won superbowls. Has way too much to do with the hand u r dealt to label a coach a "super bowl winning " coach imo. Most coaches in the hall
Of fame have a handful of players there with them. Do I think Jay is a hof'er - not even close. Lol. Do i think he can win a superbowl. Of course. We need a RB and a few more pieces before I think we are there. That being said, from what I have seen over the last couple weeks in this league it's anybody's for the taking right now. Who is going to stay healthy enough and motivated enough ? Who is gonna get some lucky bounces, tips, and calls along the way? We will find out.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #28
rocnrik
Playmaker

Quote:
My comment was more so how do you call us to go 0-4, after 3 years of Jay's head coaching, and then say you are Pro Jay Gruden?

Now I get that we exceeded your expectations so far, but it seems like based on your expectations for the season you should be solidly for a different HC.
My only fear is A complete overhaul..which would mean Cousins leaves,Gruden gone..we start all over and with Snyder in charge we could do a lot worse than Gruden..Cousins is somewhat tied to Jay. and with Goff playing good the rams won't go after cousins..maybe 49ers? so for at least this week I am Pro Gruden ..but i have been known to change....LOL
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #29
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
My only fear is A complete overhaul..which would mean Cousins leaves,Gruden gone..we start all over and with Snyder in charge we could do a lot worse than Gruden..Cousins is somewhat tied to Jay. and with Goff playing good the rams won't go after cousins..maybe 49ers? so for at least this week I am Pro Gruden ..but i have been known to change....LOL
The 49ers signed Brian Hoyer to start. If that isn't an admission of defeat idk what is. Clearly they are biding time so Shanny can go after Cousins in FA.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #30
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
The 49ers signed Brian Hoyer to start. If that isn't an admission of defeat idk what is. Clearly they are biding time so Shanny can go after Cousins in FA.
The question for the teams involved, probably not including the Skins, will be do you pay an outrageous, but manageable, sum for an above average talent in KC, or do you end up so bad this year that you get the top pick in the draft and get a good to great qb with the chance to build the team around him?

Let's hope Watson in Houston can convince other GM's its worth taking the chance in the draft.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote