Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Playbook

**Please read** Thread hijacking

Playbook

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #16
hesscl34

Re: **Please read** Thread hijacking

We are talking about a few sentances... or one day of joking around, and this is what the outcome of it is? I think someone is bitter and jealous and doesn't want any of us to have fun because he doesn't have any fun. Misery loves company. Sorry we were enjoying ourselves... I guess we won't anymore.

Advertisements
Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #17
hesscl34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
I blame hess because she's a woman and women mess sh*t up
I'll take the blame. Fine with me. Lesson learned - never tell them you're a woman!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:49 AM   #18
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
We are talking about a few sentances... or one day of joking around, and this is what the outcome of it is? I think someone is bitter and jealous and doesn't want any of us to have fun because he doesn't have any fun. Misery loves company. Sorry we were enjoying ourselves... I guess we won't anymore.
Again, nothing wrong with enjoying yourselves and having fun. Just go exchange one-liners in the parking lot. I don't think that's an unreasonable request at all. I mean how hard is it to switch over to the other forum?

That way, those of us who want to read about 'Skins stuff in the locker room don't have to sift through a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with the 'Skins.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #19
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think you're overreacting. Matty's not saying you can't have your fun and hijack a thread if that's how you get your jollies. Just go do it in the parking lot.

It's really not that hard. You want to go back and forth with people about off-topic stuff, no problem, do it in the off-topic forum. Not in the locker room.
It shouldn't even happen in the parking lot, IMO. I see it as very disrespectful. If an OP creates a thread, they usually are trying to elicit thoughts on a stated subject; not someone's random, idiotic thoughts of the day.

Last edited by cpayne5; 10-05-2006 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Fixed typo that Schneed pointed out.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:54 AM   #20
hesscl34

Quote:
Again, nothing wrong with enjoying yourselves and having fun. Just go exchange one-liners in the parking lot. I don't think that's an unreasonable request at all. I mean how hard is it to switch over to the other forum?

That way, those of us who want to read about 'Skins stuff in the locker room don't have to sift through a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with the 'Skins.

I take offense to your "go exchange one-liners in the parking lot".... Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean you get to disrespect me. Personally, I think those kind of comments are a lot more harmful than a few playful jokes.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #21
hesscl34

Quote:
A lot of times the stuff in the locker room gets really stale and there is nothing more to add and that's when the threads get hijacked.
If someone posts a thread saying something like "Joe Gibbs says he'll retire at the end of the season" I doubt it's going to get hijacked right away because that is something worthy of being talked about.
BUT, when there is yet another thread about LaVar or something like that and it goes on for 10 pages, half of which say crap like "lavar is out of shape and overrated," I see no problem having fun with it.
I agree totally.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #22
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
It shouldn't even happen in the locker room, IMO. I see it as very disrespectful. If an OP creates a thread, they usually are trying to elicit thoughts on a stated subject not someone's idiotic random thoughts of the day.
You probably mean the parking lot?

But you have a point CPayne, after all, the codes of conduct are all laid out in Matty's forum guidelines.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #23
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
I take offense to your "go exchange one-liners in the parking lot".... Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean you get to disrespect me. Personally, I think those kind of comments are a lot more harmful than a few playful jokes.
This is really getting crazy now. When did I ever insinuate that your gender has anything to do with anything? When I said exchange one-liners, that meant the one-line jokes that you guys like to fire back and forth at one another. That's all. Jeez.

And I wasn't really addressing you. Seeing AMD, gigity, TMC and others shooting one-liners back and forth is a common sight around here. And usually it's funny and light hearted and I like to read it. But when I want to read about Redskins stuff, I want to read about Redskins stuff. And when I want to read their witty banter, I want to read their witty banter. It's best to just keep it organized.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #24
hesscl34

Quote:
This is really getting crazy now. When did I ever insinuate that your gender has anything to do with anything? When I said exchange one-liners, that meant the one-line jokes that you guys like to fire back and forth at one another. That's all. Jeez.

And I wasn't really addressing you. Seeing AMD, gigity, TMC and others shooting one-liners back and forth is a common sight around here. And usually it's funny and light hearted and I like to read it. But when I want to read about Redskins stuff, I want to read about Redskins stuff. And when I want to read their witty banter, I want to read their witty banter. It's best to just keep it organized.
This is BS.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #25
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
What was the reason this thread was posted Matty? Is there a particular incident that upset someone recently that brought this issue up, was it just general complaints, or what it something you noticed? Just wondering.
No specific incident, just my general observation of how threads have been playing out lately. Seems like too many are falling apart and getting ridiculously off-topic. I know we're all guilty of it on occassion, I just want to curtail things a bit and get threads back on track when possible.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #26
hesscl34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
No specific incident, just my general observation of how threads have been playing out lately. Seems like too many are falling apart and getting ridiculously off-topic. I know we're all guilty of it on occassion, I just want to curtail things a bit and get threads back on track when possible.
Are you being a smart a*s? (kidding)
Old 10-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #27
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

I may have contributed to some hijacking, and I am sorry for that.

I do agree with schneed and the mods ... "it's best to just keep it organized."
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #28
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
It shouldn't even happen in the locker room, IMO. I see it as very disrespectful. If an OP creates a thread, they usually are trying to elicit thoughts on a stated subject; not someone's random, idiotic thoughts of the day.
What's an OP?

Anyway, as for hess and hoo let me address your concerns. Hess, don't take offense to this but you ain't that important. This decision has nothing to do with you. Hoo, we're not trying to supress fun in any way.

Look, this is not the first time we've addressed this issue. And, like Daseal oh so subtly implied, I'm just as guilty as anyone else. We're just trying to maintain some consistency, try to keep things on track as much as possible. We know hijacking is inevitable from time to time but when it starts to get way off tangent for dozens of pages a thread it causes some frustration among our valued members.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #29
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
And that's how we should all take this as. I think many a panty are getting in a wad over a friendly reminder. Let's just remember this (as we do the Alamo) and be done with it. OK? OK.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #30
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
A lot of times the stuff in the locker room gets really stale and there is nothing more to add and that's when the threads get hijacked.
If someone posts a thread saying something like "Joe Gibbs says he'll retire at the end of the season" I doubt it's going to get hijacked right away because that is something worthy of being talked about.
BUT, when there is yet another thread about LaVar or something like that and it goes on for 10 pages, half of which say crap like "lavar is out of shape and overrated," I see no problem having fun with it.
Yeah but I do see the harm in having fun with it. Sometimes those threads do reach 10 pages of the same stuff saying Lavar is overrated. And then sometimes, at the end of the thread, someone will come along and say something meaningful. And I like to check on those threads to see if a discussion of some value got started. Sometimes that guy is me, because I don't get to keep up with the threads in real time. So I'll see a thread that seems dead, and I'll post something that hasn't been said before.

But if that thread has 10 pages of hijacked nonsense, it makes it so much harder for me to add my two cents. Then I have to go create a new thread to convey my point. And then we've got two threads on the same topic.

It creates a mess.

I totally want you to be free and have your fun talking about whatever you want. Matty and the mods have gone to great lengths creating and maintaining this site, providing places for us to talk about anything we want - whether it's Madden, TV shows, DC sport teams, etcetera. You have a home for all your funny jokes and one-line exchanges with people - the parking lot. Keeping things cleaner and keeping the locker room focused on Redskins discussion is in the best interests of growing the site and keeping it the quality place it has already grown into.