Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Hornets win draft Lottery; Wizards pick 3rd

Other Sports

Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #16
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Hornets win draft Lottery; Wizards pick 3rd

Also, Anthony Davis is going to be Kenyon Martin redux. He's a defensive player with rebounding capabilities. You know the talent in the draft sucks when a defensive type player gets drafted #1.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

<-----Apparently the only person left in favor of the lottery system
Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I actually like it a lot. I am just terribly suspicious of it.

Seems to me that the lottery selection would be an absolutely riveting spectacle to watch yet the NBA shrouds it in secrecy even with all the conspiracy cries running rampant. The fact they won't simply make a public event out of it and prove it is clean is odd. Especially for a league as superficial as the NBA.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #19
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I think I would be more in favor of it if the percentages were changed around. Charlotte deserves a higher chance than 25% to win the #1 spot. It probably should start at around 65% and go something like this.

1- 65%
2- 15%
3- 5%
4- 3%
5- 1%
6- .001%
..and so on.

Using these numbers as an example, but you get the point. In the NBA, anything past the #1 spot is really crap. Most impact players are found directly at the #1 and #2 spots. That's not to say that you won't find players drafted past those spots that'll turn out to be all-stars, but you aren't going to find your LeBron James, Dwight Howards, or Derrick Roses sitting at #10.

Anybody past the #4 spot should be below 1% with winning the #1 spot.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 05-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
im a fan of it. something different, keeps it fresh. I mean, the #1 draft slot team is guranteed the best player right? thats the rule isnt it?

Brings another element to the imperfect science of drafting new talent.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #21
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
im a fan of it. something different, keeps it fresh. I mean, the #1 draft slot team is guranteed the best player right? thats the rule isnt it?

Brings another element to the imperfect science of drafting new talent.

Yeah, but that #1 pick can change your franchise. You could potentially have the sorriest team in the NBA end up last each year and never win the #1 spot. That's not fair, and it doesn't promote parity.

Sure it's exciting and "fresh", but it doesn't make the league better as a whole. The object is to bring up the sorry teams to be able to compete. That's hard to do when the system is screwing them over.

Also, you wouldn't be saying the same thing if the Redskins got screwed out of their draft spot all because of a lottery system. You'd be furious.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #22
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

NBA's problematic ownership of Hornets opens door to talk of rigged draft lottery - Yahoo! Sports

Tell us: Was the NBA Draft Lottery fixed?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Yeah, but that #1 pick can change your franchise. You could potentially have the sorriest team in the NBA end up last each year and never win the #1 spot. That's not fair, and it doesn't promote parity.

Sure it's exciting and "fresh", but it doesn't make the league better as a whole. The object is to bring up the sorry teams to be able to compete. That's hard to do when the system is screwing them over.

Also, you wouldn't be saying the same thing if the Redskins got screwed out of their draft spot all because of a lottery system. You'd be furious.
Yeah, if the Redskins kept getting screwed over by the lottery year after year I'd be pissed. If you had asked me before 2010 how I felt about the lottery, I'dve said I was unhappy with it, because it kept screwing over the Wizards before they wound up with John Wall.

I'm with FRPLG on this one though. I don't mind the lottery, but I too have my suspicions. If they want to prove it's not rigged, why not have it live and open it up to the fans? It definitely doesn't promote parity either, and I really like that about the NFL. I've always been an underdog fan, and the NFL keeps it fresh with so many teams experiencing turnarounds from worst to first year after year. The draft definitely helps that.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
That Guy
Living Legend

well, if the clippers didn't dog it on purpose all those years ago, there wouldn't be a lottery.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #25
Monkeydad
Living Legend

The Clippers were legitimate losers.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #26
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Early word is Wizards are big fans Thomas Robinson outta KU. read it on multiple sites. He wouldnt be a bad pick.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
imaskin4life
Special Teams

My problem with this system is that for some reason the NBA has decided not to televise the "random" selection of the lottery positions. Remember the ping-pong balls? Now they only televise the results. This makes me suspicious.
imaskin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #28
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I was just informed that the Wizards had the 2nd best odds, and ended up at 3rd overall, but when I started this thread I had the belief they had the 4th best odds. Apparently not lol. Still though 3rd overall pick isn't bad, it could be worse. And yeah, imaskin4life, it is pretty shady that they don't conduct the lottery live.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #29
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Early word is Wizards are big fans Thomas Robinson outta KU. read it on multiple sites. He wouldnt be a bad pick.
Nice pick.

I also heard a report that Rashard Lewis and Andray Blatche WILL both be gone before the draft.

They're going to be one of the youngest teams in the league.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #30
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaskin4life View Post
My problem with this system is that for some reason the NBA has decided not to televise the "random" selection of the lottery positions. Remember the ping-pong balls? Now they only televise the results. This makes me suspicious.
Well, I don't know how much that would help. They have allowed reporters to see the process. But I think that televising it live would be only to appease those who are already have a preconceived notion that it's all rigged. And then if there's an error or glitch or whatever and they have to start over then those people will be like "See I told you so!!!"