Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Baseball back in DC!

Other Sports

Old 09-30-2004, 11:28 AM   #16
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Not sure exactly what it means, but it does have a great history.

Check this out...

http://www.negroleaguebaseball.com/t...ead_Grays.html
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-30-2004, 12:54 PM   #17
That Guy
Living Legend

if you want a new name, it just better not be the monuments... that just makes me want to break stuff
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:56 PM   #18
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

How about the Lobbyists? They've got all the real power.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:33 PM   #19
RFKRat
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
What exactly does Grays mean? I'm not too crazy about that name. True, it was a very successful team in DC, but they're not originally from DC. They were relocated from Pittsburgh. Would rather have the name of a team that orginiated in DC. I'd prefer a brand new name entirely

I totally agree on this one, I'm all for history, but the name Grays is boring and more importantly, the Homestead Grays were based in Pittsburgh, and only used DC as their home away from home when the Pirates were using Forbes Field. I don't like this choice at all.

I would go with Senators or Nationals or even Federals. Something to connect the team with the city. I prefer Senators with the history though.
RFKRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:50 PM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Exactly, DC for the Grays is like what Puerto Rico was for the Expos. Just a home away from home

I like Federals. And go with the same colors and logo they used in the USFL
Old 10-04-2004, 11:45 PM   #21
SUNRA
The Starter

I grew up in Washington watching the Orioles and Cal Ripken,Jr. was a still is a God in Maryland. But I always wanted to see a baseball team in D.C.

One thing I know about D.C. is if this team wants the great turnouts at RFK it must reflect the identity of the people in the Metropolitan area. The reality is most African-American youth are not interested in Baseball because of the recreational centers that have closed do to cutbacks. The recreation center was the centerpiece for the youth in my neighborhood and it produced players like Brian Leftwich. The Grays name has a history and tradition but I would like to see more done by the MLB to recruit more youth from the inner cities to play baseball as much as the NFL and NBA recruit them to play for them. The reality is that's not going to happen in the next 5 to 10 years.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:47 PM   #22
SUNRA
The Starter

[QUOTE=smootsmack]Exactly, DC for the Grays is like what Puerto Rico was for the Expos. Just a home away from home

I like Federals. And go with the same colors and logo they used in the USFL[/QUOTE

I don't see your point. Elaborate for me.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:58 PM   #23
SUNRA
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKRat
I totally agree on this one, I'm all for history, but the name Grays is boring and more importantly, the Homestead Grays were based in Pittsburgh, and only used DC as their home away from home when the Pirates were using Forbes Field. I don't like this choice at all.

I would go with Senators or Nationals or even Federals. Something to connect the team with the city. I prefer Senators with the history though.
Senators doesn't sound any better. Senators is definitely not going to work. This name reflects a time of exclusion.

One thing that makes the Redskins one of the most successful and unique franchises in the league is because of the racial make-up of it's fans. If you've looked at old films of the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys fans you see
very few Black or Hispanic people at the games. But check out the films of the Washington Redskins and you see the people who reflect the nations capitol.

The baseball team must reflect the people they want to represent. The Redskins have laid the foundation for outreach programs for the youth and the baseball team will have to follow.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:00 AM   #24
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Baseball is already a struggling sport, I don't know if the DC/Baltimore area can handle two teams. I bet after the novelty wears off we have an empty 400mil dollar stadium and a bunch of people wondering why the hell we let Baseball in.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 12:10 AM   #25
SUNRA
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Baseball is already a struggling sport, I don't know if the DC/Baltimore area can handle two teams. I bet after the novelty wears off we have an empty 400mil dollar stadium and a bunch of people wondering why the hell we let Baseball in.
I agree. I think they want to use D.C. as a dumping ground because no other city wanted a mediocre team.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:21 AM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Baseball has seen a resurgence this season. It's attendance average is the third-highest ever. TV ratings are up.

The Homestead Grays never completely moved to Washington, DC. They kept Homestead, Pennsylvania as their official home but played some games in DC's Griffith Stadium-similar to the Expos keeping Montreal as their official home but playing some games in Puerto Rico. I'll root for the team no matter what the name.

The Redskins might have had a lot of Black and Hispanic fans, but they were the last team to integrate in the NFL. Just like the Senators were the last to integrate in baseball.

Here's a little something on the Washington Federals:
http://www.remembertheusfl.8m.com/washington.html
Old 10-05-2004, 12:50 AM   #27
wolfeskins
The Starter

who cares what the name is? baseball SUCKS!!!
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:31 AM   #28
That Guy
Living Legend

way to troll the thread wolfeskin :P if that's all you can add, please don't bother posting in the thread.

selig extorted the city.. and he wouldn't have given it to us, but the team offered nearly 4 times as much money as the next highest city, so they didn't think they'd be able to get anyone else to bid it up any more... and after 400 million from taxes etc, there's going to be a 200-300mill$ surcharge on buying the team (worth about 100mill), which is beyond crappy right now (since the league got to decide how much the expos could spend on salaries, AND the old owner took lots of personnel and all the scouting information with him to the marlins...)

its a bad deal three ways from sunday (gotta bribe mr. orioles too), but we got a team now... hopefully it works out... sucks that the owner very well may live in vegas and operate the ownership from there though...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:25 PM   #29
wolfeskins
The Starter

hey that guy,the name of this site is THE WARPATH(redskins discussion for the knowlegeable fan) some members were discussing baseball,i had to put my short but sweet little messege on there to try to wake them up from the nightmare they were in. just trying to help,sorry
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:12 PM   #30
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Hey Wolfeskins, the name of this forum is "The Parking lot" meaning we talk about things that are off-topic and football. I hate baseball as much as the next guy, but let them have their discussion.

The only reason worth watching baseball is to watch the Yankees lose!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote