new drilling in the U.S

Debating with the enemy

Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #16
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Re: new drilling in the U.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Virginia's governor was already going to do this, Obama is simply trying to take glory for something the Republicans were doing.
I forgot state's rights trump federal law in some people's minds.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #17
firstdown
Living Legend

I think its great but not sure why this is even news but I guess it confirms that Obama will let the plans move forward. On Sept of 2008 Bush lifted the ban on drilling and Va. has been moving foward with the plans to start drilling. Its good to know that Obam is backing this plan. Agency Begins Process to Allow Drilling off Va. Coast - washingtonpost.com

"The administration's decision to move forward comes four months after President Bush lifted an executive ban on offshore drilling. In September, the Democratic-controlled House and Senate decided not to renew a separate, congressional moratorium on offshore drilling that had been in place for more than two decades.

Randall Luthi, director of the Minerals Management Service, said there hasn't been oil or gas exploration off Virginia's coast since 1983. By moving forward now, the agency is fulfilling a request by Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) to open up waters 50 miles offshore for exploration, Luthi said.

In 2006, Kaine signed a bill supporting federal efforts to determine how much natural gas exists 50 or more miles off the Atlantic coast."

As for these being an eye sore if they are over 50 miles out you will never see them from shore. I fish a light house 8 miles off shore and only on a very clear day can you see it from shore. Also these oil rigs act as a natural reef and are great for fishing. I believe me and Saden had that debate back when Bush opened up Va for drilling in 2008. Not sure but it also sounds like Obama is opening up more areas for drilling which from what I've read is a good idea.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #18
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Virginia's governor was already going to do this, Obama is simply trying to take glory for something the Republicans were doing.
Are you serious? You do know that Virginia Governor can't actually permit sea drilling right? Sure, he can write and grant whatever he wants but that doesn't mean there is any teeth behind it. Read the Constitution.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #19
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
JR, that sounds like a great novel.

Sounds like Atlas Shrugged 2.

-Jenkins
Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #20
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I think its great but not sure why this is even news but I guess it confirms that Obama will let the plans move forward. On Sept of 2008 Bush lifted the ban on drilling and Va. has been moving foward with the plans to start drilling. Its good to know that Obam is backing this plan. Agency Begins Process to Allow Drilling off Va. Coast - washingtonpost.com

"The administration's decision to move forward comes four months after President Bush lifted an executive ban on offshore drilling. In September, the Democratic-controlled House and Senate decided not to renew a separate, congressional moratorium on offshore drilling that had been in place for more than two decades.

Randall Luthi, director of the Minerals Management Service, said there hasn't been oil or gas exploration off Virginia's coast since 1983. By moving forward now, the agency is fulfilling a request by Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) to open up waters 50 miles offshore for exploration, Luthi said.

In 2006, Kaine signed a bill supporting federal efforts to determine how much natural gas exists 50 or more miles off the Atlantic coast."

As for these being an eye sore if they are over 50 miles out you will never see them from shore. I fish a light house 8 miles off shore and only on a very clear day can you see it from shore. Also these oil rigs act as a natural reef and are great for fishing. I believe me and Saden had that debate back when Bush opened up Va for drilling in 2008. Not sure but it also sounds like Obama is opening up more areas for drilling which from what I've read is a good idea.
The difference between what Bush did and what Obama is doing is that Bush's move was just a lift on an executive ban, it wasn't law; it had no legislative or federal authority. In other words, it was largely symbolic.

Today's move by Obama will, at some point, go to Congress for a vote and has specific perimeters on what regions are authorized for drilling.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 AM   #21
saden1
MVP

Not sure I like the move but at least it's better than drilling ANWR.

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 03-31-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #22
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Are you serious? You do know that Virginia Governor can't actually permit sea drilling right? Sure, he can write and grant whatever he wants but that doesn't mean there is any teeth behind it. Read the Constitution.
The reason the gov. was moving foward on this is because Bush lifted the ban back in 2008. Gov. Timothy Kain a Dem. backed the idea and started moving foward to start drilling a couple years back.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
The difference between what Bush did and what Obama is doing is that Bush's move was just a lift on an executive ban, it wasn't law; it had no legislative or federal authority. In other words, it was largely symbolic.

Today's move by Obama will, at some point, go to Congress for a vote and has specific perimeters on what regions are authorized for drilling.
Well then what did this sentence mean.
"In September, the Democratic-controlled House and Senate decided not to renew a separate, congressional moratorium on offshore drilling that had been in place for more than two decades. "

Sounds like congress let the ban run out so it was allready open for drilling.

Saden this is what was in the article about Bush lifting the ban in 08. So it looks like congress let it run out all ready.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #24
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
More radical liberalism from Obama. Seriously, I think there's some common sense politics and economics at play here.

I think the president is willing to bend on a campaign promise to make America less oil dependent and hopefully garner some bi-partisan support on his energy policy. The left will see this as him caving in (folks are fuming this morning), and the right will hopefully see this as an olive branch. We'll need more oil in ten years whether we drill or not, so why not go for it.

Drill, baby, drill!!
Noooo, really?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #25
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
No need to get all in a tizzy Mr. Saden. I was responding with my tongue in cheek guess on FD's response, but again, the Constitution, last I checked doesn't specifically mention off-shore drilling, and so an elastic clause/10th amendment debate is just too much for me this morning.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #26
saden1
MVP

Quote:
The reason the gov. was moving foward on this is because Bush lifted the ban back in 2008. Gov. Timothy Kain a Dem. backed the idea and started moving foward to start drilling a couple years back.
Like 12thMan Bush's lifting of the executive order ban was merely symbolic. There are federal laws on the books that need to be relaxed or reversed for anyone's to do any sort of ocean drilling. Congress has the power to do something. Not the president, not the governors, not anyone but congress.

-Jenkins
Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #27
saden1
MVP

Quote:
No need to get all in a tizzy Mr. Saden. I was responding with my tongue in cheek guess on FD's response, but again, the Constitution, last I checked doesn't specifically mention off-shore drilling, and so an elastic clause/10th amendment debate is just too much for me this morning.

It mentions who has admiralty and maritime jurisdiction and that's all the Constitution needs to do. It doesn't have to talk about fishing or drilling or anything else. Save your energy, no need to debate Section 2 of Article III.

-Jenkins
Old 03-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #28
MTK
\m/

I think it's a good move.

I could really care less who initiated it or all the particulars. I mean really, the fact that it's happening is all that really matters.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #29
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Like 12thMan Bush's lifting of the executive order ban was merely symbolic. There are federal laws on the books that need to be relaxed or reversed for anyone's to do any sort of ocean drilling. Congress has the power to do something. Not the president, not the governors, not anyone but congress.
"In September, the Democratic-controlled House and Senate decided not to renew a separate, congressional moratorium on offshore drilling that had been in place for more than two decades. "
Old 03-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #30
12thMan
MVP

Quote:

Sounds like congress let the ban run out so it was allready open for drilling.
That statement is correct. Once the current moratorium expires, it won't be renewed but replaced with actual policy reversing the ban. I guess to put it more concretely, it's currently not U.S. policy to drill offshore. Lots of talk, lots of orders, bans and reversals, but no legislation has actually been enacted to permit drilling specifying what regions will be tapped.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote