Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Man flies plane into IRS building.

Debating with the enemy

Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #16
budw38
Playmaker

Re: Man flies plane into IRS building.

Thats what happens when your gov't screws people ... not that I think he wasn't 100 % wrong ... just saying . Do we have to pay our taxes this year ?
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #17
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
The FirstDown of Cowboys fans.
lol got that right

seems to be more the norm with them though
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #18
Skinny Tee
The Starter

I don't really like entering political debates but this one is a bit intriguing.

Let me be the first to tell you that I don't really feel 100% informed and educated on all political matters which gives more to my listening to these conversations as opposed to entering them.

I do want to gauge some opinions on this personal idea.

I've always felt that most political matters seem to revolve, and are decided, around big businesses and big money contributions. In our modern era, politicians seem to have their campaigns propelled more by large industries and lobby groups than the individual constituent.

To me, this seems to lend more to conflicts of interest from those elected officials. So let me propose a question to you:

Why isn't corruption (bribes/gifting/position abuse) of any kind at a publicly-elected level, high or low, considered an act of treason and thus punishable by the same stiff penalties?

It's basically just as unpatriotic and detrimental to the country to misuse a publicly elected position and it should be considered as treasonous as espionage. What's your opinion on this?...too harsh of a penalty for our elected officials?...maybe it affects the candidates decisions in office for the better/worse?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #19
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

You'd never get anyone to run for office if that were the case, but I think that it should definitely be sanctioned more. I mean what's the point in signing off on a bill and then not voting for it, just to spite an administration, because your farms in your state didn't get their extra truckload of pig shit, or whatever?
Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #20
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
You'd never get anyone to run for office if that were the case, but I think that it should definitely be sanctioned more. I mean what's the point in signing off on a bill and then not voting for it, just to spite an administration, because your farms in your state didn't get their extra truckload of pig shit, or whatever?
I think there'd still be people running but it wouldn't be smart, rich people who have something to lose. It'd be modest class of people who trust their honesty and nothing to lose.

Perhaps too ideological I suppose : )
Old 02-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #21
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Interesting comment left on Austin Crash Pilot Called "Easy Going" - CBS News

Quote:
20 years ago I worked as an accounts payable clerk for a now-defunct software company.

I saw enormous amounts of abuse of the independent contractor status of programmers (yes, they like to call themselves software engineers but they are programmers) by managers in that company. Quite often during layoffs they would lay off programmers then managers would hire their buddies back as contractors. Quite often I would issue checks for many thousands of dollars of software programs and hardware that would be given to the contractors then disappear off company premises, never to be seen again. Contractors were given office space, telephones, network connectivity and many other perks. The so-called "independent" contractors ruled the roost, and I also saw the damage it did to regular company morale. The managers got away with it because since none of the business owners, CEO or President could write software themselves, or came from a programmers background, they were afraid to go up against the managers. This was a symptom of weak leadership and in fact the software company failed and got acquired by another software company in 1994 - but it was several years before that company reined in the abuses - and I heard rumors that they still were involved in this sort of thing a decade ago in Santa Monica. (by then I had been gone for years from the company for greener pastures)

This is why the IRS is so tough on the status of contractors in the software industry. Because it is so easy to hide dollar amounts of the tools (computers and software) that these people use to do their work in the general corporate expenses, independent contractors seek out weak managers who are easy to buffalo into giving them things, and software companies are so often funded by venture capitalists who go ballaistic when they see headcount counts rise that it is easier for the manager to use a contractor than try to justify to a VC why you need to hire another warm body. The IRS is right to break up these sweetheart arraingements, as they are tax dodges of the worst order.

I have read this guys writings and they are nothing more than a series of attempting to dodge taxes by playing
the "independent software engineer" game throughout his life. He really had no understanding of how much public funding has supported his industry and the companies that he worked for, and how critical it is for those industries. Even today, 3/4 of the Internet is partly supported by public funding in the form of government tax carveouts for large ISPs and networks, and if the Internet didn't exist, most of this guys software firms that he's worked for wouldn't have existed either.

This is exactly how your typical conservative thinks - they are more than happy to plunge both trotters into the trough and suck up all that government support of their stuff, but when it comes to paying taxes for it they are the first to cut and run.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #22
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
I think there'd still be people running but it wouldn't be smart, rich people who have something to lose. It'd be modest class of people who trust their honesty and nothing to lose.

Perhaps too ideological I suppose : )
Indeed, and yes, people would still run and perhaps better candidates. Most politicians have business outside of just their "service" and will be swayed though. Could be opening the floodgates to more Palin's
Old 02-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #23
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Guy had serious problems with government issues. Chose a cowardly way to resolve them.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #24
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Indeed, and yes, people would still run and perhaps better candidates. Most politicians have business outside of just their "service" and will be swayed though. Could be opening the floodgates to more Palin's
Ugh that's all we need, more idiots.

Personally I don't want Joe Schmoe running things, nor do I want someone running things who I would want to have a beer with.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #25
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Ugh that's all we need, more idiots.

Personally I don't want Joe Schmoe running things, nor do I want someone running things who I would want to have a beer with.
Agreed, but by the same token I don't want industry execs to be the sole voice heard either. It's hard to legislate discipline, restraint and integrity into national offices... That's why I laugh at all of these firebrand types that scream "revolution." You want to revolt, cool, no problem, but you better have a better idea, and in 230+ years, one hasn't come along.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #26
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Agreed, but by the same token I don't want industry execs to be the sole voice heard either. It's hard to legislate discipline, restraint and integrity into national offices... That's why I laugh at all of these firebrand types that scream "revolution." You want to revolt, cool, no problem, but you better have a better idea, and in 230+ years, one hasn't come along.
I agree you need to find a happy medium. I just don't understand this concept of dumbed down politicians.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #27
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

I think that we need to get younger in the govt, especially Congress. These guys are voting on stuff that they've never seen, used, and may not live to see the outcome of.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #28
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
If you read his manifesto you would know it was not me by his spelling and grammer.
Sure, sure.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #29
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

haha buster

I think firstdown was saying that he has worse spelling/grammar than the guy who wrote it, but not sure

if so, that's bad, because that letter was atrocious
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #30
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I agree you need to find a happy medium. I just don't understand this concept of dumbed down politicians.
Well, I think a lot of the "dumbed down" politician and Palinesque backing is a reaction to the "We're smarter than you, so we know what's best for you" attitude that comes from the left at times.

Again, happy medium is, of course, the best. Education and experience come in many forms. Whether it be intellectual patronizing or anti-intellectual arrogance, each is disrespectful and adds to deepening the division.

For example, Palin ain't the sharpest tack in the box. But - clearly - something she says resonates with a large portion of the US populace. Dismissing this group as stupid idiots who cling to guns and bibles does nothing to further discussion. On the other hand, Palin's backers who dismiss the large group of people who oppose her positions as being out of touch with the real America are equally to blame for the division.

Sure there are idiots on both sides of the aisle, but even extremists may be saying something of value. Some of the divisions are hard to overcome (abortion is murder v. abortion is not murder) but until each side stops being dismissive of the other, actually searches for common ground, and is willing to say, "We may be wrong on this" will anything change.

Rant over.

Anybody got a spare plane?