Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Debating with the enemy

Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #16
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Steve Young's family up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman003 View Post
what are the reasons that the government doesn't want the legalize gay marriage? I Understand it's not allowed according to the bible, but there's supposed to be a separation of church and state. Would this have any negative effects on society?
Well gays can get married anytime they want in a church. What they want is for it to be recongnized by the state. They then qualify for married benfitts and such but other than that I'm not sure of all the issues.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #17
johnerotten

just a way for society to get a grip on money is all that it is!
this is the land of the free,not the almost free.
johnerotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #18
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I cannot believe this. California is now officially the most useless state in the union. Or at least the most underperforming state. I mean I definately disagreed with their financial policies and desire to give people handouts but California always came through when it came to civil rights. Plus if it wasn't for the ridiculous price of living I would really want to go there, but in the meantime I'll probably settle for Vegas or North Carolina. No state income tax in Nevada

Now all it is is a big chunk of land with overpriced property values and shitty movies.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #19
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
I cannot believe this. California is now officially the most useless state in the union. Or at least the most underperforming state. I mean I definately disagreed with their financial policies and desire to give people handouts but California always came through when it came to civil rights. Plus if it wasn't for the ridiculous price of living I would really want to go there, but in the meantime I'll probably settle for Vegas or North Carolina. No state income tax in Nevada

Now all it is is a big chunk of land with overpriced property values and shitty movies.

What a sad day...people exercising their rights to deny others rights afforded to them. Financial, California will suck the life out of you...Washington state doesn't have a state income tax either

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #20
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

I know prop 8 passed. Bunch of B.S. What sucks even more is that it just barely passed. California still has a long way to go.

But does anyone know if Prop 4 passed? Prop 4 would've required teenage girls to tell their parents prior to having an abortion...

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #21
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I know prop 8 passed. Bunch of B.S. What sucks even more is that it just barely passed. California still has a long way to go.

But does anyone know if Prop 4 passed? Prop 4 would've required teenage girls to tell their parents prior to having an abortion...
Well it also passed in two other states.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #22
70Chip
Playmaker

If you like irony you like this:

Barack Obama may have helped California Proposition 8 gay marriage ban pass - Telegraph

"Around 70 per cent of the African-American voters who overwhelmingly backed Mr Obama also approved Proposition 8, helping pass the controversial ballot measure despite a small majority of whites voting against the ban on same-sex unions. Hispanic and Asian voters were split on the issue.
The state's black turnout jumped to 10 per cent of the electorate, up from 6 per cent in 2004, as voters inspired by Mr Obama flocked to the polls for the first time. The Democratic candidate took the state with 61 per cent of the popular vote.
Although the president-elect opposed the gay marriage ban, it appears his supporters may have helped pass the measure that was vociferously opposed by many white Democrats."
Old 11-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #23
saden1
MVP

African-American are as anti-gay as you can get. If it's gay, they hate it. Ignorance + Bible = a dangerous combination.

-Jenkins
Old 11-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #24
70Chip
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
African-American are as anti-gay as you can get. If it's gay, they hate it. Ignorance + Bible = a dangerous combination.

What about him:

Old 11-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #25
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
What about him:

He's in a different universe, probably all by himself.

-Jenkins
Old 11-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #26
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well it also passed in two other states.
But what 2 other states? And if you say any that falls in the Bible belt it's automatically disqualified.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #27
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Florida and Arizona.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #28
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
But what 2 other states? And if you say any that falls in the Bible belt it's automatically disqualified.
BB, says its FL & Arizona but I'm not sure. When I look it up all I find is stuff on Ca. but I've heard several time two othere state ban gay mar. What do you mean when you say if it falls in the bible belt its disqualified?
Old 11-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #29
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Link. I know it's not popular, but I for one am very happy to see this measure pass. No one is saying that these individuals shouldn't have the right to live as they choose, but it supports the traditional definition of marriage being between a man and a woman. I'd also like to see more legislation to prevent anyone choosing to live an "alternative lifestyle" from adopting. Again, I don't hate gays, but I don't think children should have that particular viewpoint forced on/presented to them as a valid option.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #30
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Link. I know it's not popular, but I for one am very happy to see this measure pass. No one is saying that these individuals shouldn't have the right to live as they choose, but it supports the traditional definition of marriage being between a man and a woman. I'd also like to see more legislation to prevent anyone choosing to live an "alternative lifestyle" from adopting. Again, I don't hate gays, but I don't think children should have that particular viewpoint forced on/presented to them as a valid option.
WTF do you think a ban on gay marriage does? Isn't the view point being pushed by proponents of the ban "gay marrige is not OK?"

Don't get it twisted homie this ban is a variation of Loving v. Virginia which is to say it a clear violation of the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment:

Quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

-Jenkins