Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

I must have missed yesterday's game...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #16
MTK
\m/

Re: I must have missed yesterday's game...

I can't hang too much blame on the D when they pitched a shutout for 3 quarters. The offense simply needs to put up more than 2 FG's. That's the game I was watching.

Advertisements
Old 11-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #17
rbanerjee23
The Starter

I completely agree with the original poster...I am so surprised to see that the Redskins have such a good defense because they always give up big plays when we can least afford it.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #18
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Well, I understand the overall thought here...because its true... yesterday, you absolutley can't blame the defense, you hold the Cowboys to 7 points... thats on everyone else but the defense....

But this does point out a disturbing trend...something that has happened time and time again
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #19
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I can't hang too much blame on the D when they pitched a shutout for 3 quarters. The offense simply needs to put up more than 2 FG's. That's the game I was watching.
Agreed. Sure they allowed the final score, but come on. We went on the road and held our archrival to 7 points. ANY TIME a team can hold the opponent to a single touchdown, you've got to win. I don't care if the opponent scores that lone touchdown on the opening or final drive of the game. 7 points allowed has got to equal a W. Our offense is just that bad.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #20
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
I completely agree with the original poster...I am so surprised to see that the Redskins have such a good defense because they always give up big plays when we can least afford it.
I agree that we've allowed some big plays at inopportune times, but every defense, even great ones, allow big plays occasionally. I recall our D having a few pretty bad ass goal line stands this season as well. Those are must have stops too.

Last edited by GMScud; 11-23-2009 at 07:23 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #21
firstdown
Living Legend

The only reason the D gives up drives when we can not afford them to is because the o can never score enough points so we have a two score lead. So evertime the other team takes the field they can take the lead by scoring thus making it look like the D cannot make a stand.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #22
53Fan
Franchise Player

The defense made some mistakes yesterday (dropped INT's) but, they held Dallas scoreless and without a reception to a WR for 3 quarters. You've got to win those games.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #23
sandtrapjack
The Starter

You can blame the offense all you want. You can praise the defense all you want.

But when you blame the offense, just recall that in the 2000-2001 season the Baltimore Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV.

And thier anemic offense did not score an offensive TD in the final SIX weeks of the regular season. Thats 24 quarters of football, without one offensive TD. All scores were either field goals or defensive scoring.

They clinched the wild card and went on the win it all.

Ultimate example of a "team" effort.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #24
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
You can blame the offense all you want. You can praise the defense all you want.

But when you blame the offense, just recall that in the 2000-2001 season the Baltimore Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV.

And thier anemic offense did not score an offensive TD in the final SIX weeks of the regular season. Thats 24 quarters of football, without one offensive TD. All scores were either field goals or defensive scoring.

What are you talking about? Do you check this stuff? Dec.10, 2000. Against the Chargers, Dilfer completed 16 of 24 passes for 187 yds. and 2 TD's. That was their 14th game of the regular season.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #25
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:

OK, so are you agreeing with the original post? Those Ravens were an exception. Sure that offense wasn't very good, but that defense was probably the best in NFL history.

Is the Redskins' defense to blame for yesterday's loss because they aren't carrying the team like the best defense the league has ever seen??? Come on man.

Last edited by GMScud; 11-23-2009 at 08:27 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #26
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:

Somehow we play great defense but can never get a defensive score.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #27
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Umm, Ok, I'm seriously confused of what the OP wrote.....Is it the Defense that sucked only during the last drive, or was it the Offense that sucked all day and was forced to only kick field goals?

To me the Skins played admirably. Against a team who should have atleast blown us out since they do have the capacity to score which we don't. The Defense held Dallas to no score the whole first and second half up until the last drive which was basically the last 3 min. of the game. During the second half the team failed to sustain their drives which brought the Defense back out yet again to get tired so by the last drive I think they were spent. Had the Offense been able to score one or both field goals or actually score a TD the Skins would have one.

Now having said all that. I'm not impressed with our offense. I'm glad our young players are getting involved and getting playing time but two field goals....6 points will not win all the big games.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #28
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

I wasnt aware it was the defense's job to score 7pts a game on turnovers, they held the other team to 7 pts and kept it within reach so id say they did their job.
Sure they had chances to make big plays but so did the offense and special teams.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

There were missed opportunities defensively. But this loss wasn't on the defense
Old 11-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #30
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

So now we have an OP blaming the defense for a loss because they didn't pitch a shutout. And, worse, there are others who actually agree with him. So, we should have won an NFL game 6-0, then? It's hard for me to believe that reasonable people could come to that conclusion.

If we had even a halfway decent offense that Cowboys touchdown would have been little more than an afterthought.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote