Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Scud's Studs (12th off the bench): Cards vs. Skins

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #16
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Scud's Studs (12th off the bench): Cards vs. Skins

My studs:

Kerrigan had a huge day. Sack, tackles, pass deflection, and the tip of the interception to Fletch. He was all over the place.

Helu and Hightower to echo the above praise.

Oline was great today. I thought the protection was good and the run blocking was great. Silverback knocking heads today.

Moss...why moss? Everytime we need a big catch...last week with the 4th down catch and this week 4th down catch this time a huge touchdown. Sometime the hate I read on here on this guy is amazing.

Gano...i really cant stand him, but to man up and make that kick game winner was huge. But that kick outta bounds to open the 2nd half...holy sh*t thats just horrible.

Once again the Skins had only several penalties...thats big

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
44ever

Gotta go with Kerrigan and Fletch.
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #18
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Redskins-Cardinals, best and worst - DC Sports Bog - The Washington Post

- Dan Steinberg's Best and Worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Steinberg
Wrapping up the best and worst moments from Washington’s 22-21 win over the Arizona Cardinals, which made the Redskins 2-0 for the first time since 2007.

Best Day: Byron Westbrook, and who would have thought that’d be the case? The sense of doom was descending when Arizona got the ball back inside the 2-minute warning and picked up a quick first down, but Westbrook’s big hit from behind jarred the ball loose, and the doom was gone. A remarkable play from the team’s fifth cornerback.

Worst Day, According to Hack Sports Writers With Cursory Football Knowledge: I mean, I thought Reed Doughty struggled in Week 1, but then Jim Haslett strongly defended him, so I’m being cautious here. To my eyes, though, Graham Gano didn’t have the best day ever for an NFL kicker, despite hitting the game-winner. The blocked kick at the end of the first half meant Gano failed on two of the first three field goals he attempted this season, and all were from less than 40 yards. Those have to be an automatic three points in the National Football League, men. Much worse, though, was the out-of-bounds kickoff that started the second half, especially with the new rules making touchbacks almost automatic.

Worst Day For Former Redskins Quarterbacks: Donovan McNabb and the Vikings led by 17 at halftime but lost, with McNabb failing to throw a touchdown. Jason Campbell and the Raiders led by 18 at halftime but lost as well. And Rex Grossman led the Redskins to two late scores and has his Redskins at 2-0.

Best Newcomer: Helu, Roy. The rookie from Nebraska was electric in the running game, but was never more impressive than on a second-quarter screen, when he hurdled a defender and gained 33 yards, the longest catch by a rookie Redskins running back since Reggie Brooks in 1997. He had 112 yards on his 13 touches, an average of 8.6 per. As many good things as Tim Hightower and Ryan Torain have done in the past year-plus, neither has the shiftiness, elusiveness or breakaway potential of Helu. By which I mean he’s fast as hell.

(Patrick Smith - GETTY IMAGES) Best Other Newcomer: Ryan Kerrigan can play a little bit. In his first NFL game, he had an interception return for a touchdown. In his second NFL game, he had two sacks, a tipped pass that led to a London Fletcher interception, a tipped pass on one of the game’s most important third downs, and what felt like an awful lot of trips into Kevin Kolb’s personal space.

Best Quote: Fred Smoot, on the Comcast SportsNet postgame show. “When you’re over 30, you don’t have swag. You have panache.”

Worst Underthrow: Grossman, to Fred Davis. The tight end gained 40 yards on Washington’s first possession of the second half, but he probably should have scored on a throw that hit him in stride. The Redskins wound up punting on the drive.

Best Offensive Weapon: It would appear to be the aforementioned Davis, which is odd even to type. Deep, shallow, first down, third down, in his own territory, in the red zone, Mohawk, non-mohawk, Davis was there. In two games, he has 11 catches for 191 yards.

Worst Abandonment of the Run Game Even Though It Seemed to be Working Awesomely: Kyle Shanahan.

Best Decision to Go For It: Mike Shanahan. Me, I would have taken the field goal late in the fourth-quarter, figuring the chances of converting a fourth-down and then a two-point conversion would be worse than making a short field goal and then driving again later. But after Grossman threw a beauty of a touchdown pass to Santana Moss, I couldn’t really complain.

Worst Red-Zone Execution: I’ll give it to the Redskins, whose five trips inside the Bright Red Zone (the 15, duh) led to an interception, a touchdown, and three field-goal attempts, one of which was blocked.

Best Tackle by a Punter: Man, Sav Rocca laid out that dude on the game’s final play. And he liked it.

Best one-liner: Sonny Jurgensen, during the Redskins Radio Network pre-game show on ESPN 980: “I think myself and Donovan McNabb were the only quarterbacks that didn’t throw for 300 yards last week.”

Best one-liner, part II: Sam Huff, during the same show, talking about Conrad Dobler: “He’d kick his mother, that guy would….He’d kick you you know where, and you’d try to stomp him back and you’d get the flag.”

Best one-liner, part III: Fox’s Tim Ryan, after a Rex Grossman turnover, riffing off the “Good Rex Bad Rex” meme. “That,” he said, “was a Train Wrecks.”

Worst Tipping: Did it feel like Grossman had 13 or 14 balls tipped at the line of scrimmage, including a heart-stopping one on Washington’s final scoring drive? I mean, he’s not abnormally short for a quarterback. I don’t recall this being an issue against the Giants. Was he just mis-calibrated on Sunday? Are the Cardinals defensive linemen extra tall?

Best Response to Tipping: At least twice, Grossman volleyball-spiked a tipped ball to the ground, preventing an interception.

Best Coverage: The idea of letting DeAngelo Hall shadow Larry Fitzgerald by himself for much of the afternoon seemed fraught with danger, but Hall kept Fitzgerald in check in the first half, to the tune of two catches for 19 yards.

Worst Coverage: Not sure what happened on that 73-yard touchdown catch, though.

Best Reason Not to Go to the Kitchen, Ever: Brandon Banks, doe. Who was the last Redskin that made you think he was going to score a touchdown every single time he touched the ball? Early-vintage Brian Mitchell? It’s been awhile. The Redskins kept him solely to return kicks, and not one fan would complain.

Best Stat: Through two games, the Redskins have six penalties for 40 yards, and one of them was an intentional delay-of-game in the final seconds Sunday. They also have zero swinging-gate attempts.

Best Stat, Part II: At halftime, the Redskins had a 114-6 advantage in rushing yards, hadn’t yet punted and had way more than double the Cardinals’ time of possession (21:31-8:29), yet only led by three. Those are not 10-7 numbers.

Best Stat, Part III: Via Barry Svrluga, the Redskins’ first scoring drive (the FG) took 8 minutes, 29 seconds -- longer than any scoring drive last year in time.

Best Stat, Part IV: Via Joseph White, the Redskins made it inside the Cardinals’ 40 on their first five possessions, and got only 10 points out of it.

Best Stat, Part V: Via David Elfin, Fred Davis already has six catches of at least 20 yards. Last season, he had four.

Worst Interception: I suppose we might be conditioned to dramatically throw up our arms at Rex Grossman mistakes, but his first-quarter pick from inside the 10 seemed ghastly to me. Some fans said, in Grossman’s defense, that Santana Moss was prevented from completing his route, but either way, he wasn’t scoring on that pattern. Maybe just throw it out of the end zone there.

Best Interception: The next one definitely wasn’t Grossman’s fault, though. The ball was tipped by Anthony Armstrong, and frankly, it should have been pass interference. Still, you can’t call an interception “best.” That’s under “worst categorization” for me.

Worst Number: Maybe 22 is part of some cursed numerology for Redskins cornerbacks. Kevin Barnes didn’t exactly pull a Carlos Rogers in the first quarter, but there was a flying football in his vicinity that some DBs might have intercepted, and it wound up on the ground. Felt familiar.

Best Eye Black: Mike Sellers seemed to have either giant “Xs” or giant crosses under his eyes. Not sure that they did much from an eye-black perspective, but it looked kinda cool.

Worst Fumble Recovery: After Brian Orakpo smashed into Kevin Kolb’s back in the second quarter, the football popped into the air, and Adam Carriker tried to jump up and grab the floating football. Instead, a Cardinals offensive lineman (Lyle Sendlein, I believe), wrested the ball away from Carriker.

Worst Camera Work: From showing a punt return from behind the kicking team — an angle about as revealing as an Amish bathing suit — to coming back from commercial break after play had already resumed to repeatedly using bad shots, it was not a brilliant day from Fox.

Best Pressure: Arizona’s first drive was a four-play, 88-second disaster, during which London Fletcher appeared to be Trojan Horsing himself in the Redskins’ backfield. That’s how much of the day went.

Best Sellout Streak: The Redskins announced their 362nd straight sellout, with 76,330 in attendance at their 85,000-seat stadium. Just FYI.

Best Week Three Matchup: The Redskins are 2-0 for the first time since 2007, when they went to the playoffs. Since 1990, NFL teams that start 2-0 have made the playoffs approximately 64 percent of the time. And Washington gets to follow this up with Dallas, on Monday night. That might cause some excitement.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #19
53Fan
Franchise Player

Helu was very impressive. Kerrigan is becoming an impact player very quickly. Props to Rex. He never gave up even when he knew he was gonna get mugged and his throw to Moss on 4th down for the TD was perfect.There are some more Studs and the fact that so many players are considered is a very good sign.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #20
12thMan
MVP

I thought the line played much better as a unit. Picked up blitzes.

Interesting stat I saw, last season the Skins were 1-8 when trailing after three quarters.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #21
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
The Redskins pull out a gut wrenching victory in typical Redskins fashion. The blown red zone opportunities and blocked field goal surely had every Redskins fan on edge. But Rex Grossman, who isn't one of this week's Studs, deserves a lot of credit for battling through a couple of interceptions and leading the team to victory

That said, I'm going with five Studs that impressed me this week and held the team together.

Tim Hightower: After a fast start in the first half, the Cards were able to slow Hightower down a bit. But his value to the offense and setting the tempo is without question. I've also noticed he's been more effective picking up the blitz in pass protection. Hightower and Helu combined for 170 yards rushing.

Roy Helu: You just have the feeling this kid is going to be a star in this league. After so many years of disappointing drafts, the Redskins found a diamond in the rough in Roy Helu. Helu averaged 7.4 a pop and added another 38 yards receiving. Through the first two games, this could be one of the best running back duos in the league.

London Fletcher: London Fletcher just does what he does. He tackles, he pressures, and he leads. The dude is playing Pro-Bowl ball right now. Fletch was in Kolb's face most of the day and his interception in the second half was clutch. After the pick you had the feeling, we got this.

Fred Davis: Fred Davis is not only emerging as a great Redskin, but one of the best TEs in the league. For the second consecutive week Fred Davis led the team in receptions/6-86 1 TD. I'm sure there will be calls to trade #47, but this is the NFL and two good starting tight ends is an asset. Let's chill with the trade talk.

Shanahan and Haslett: Look, no one's 100% satisfied with our offensive struggles in the red zone, but Shanny and Kyle had this team ready to play. They game planned very well for the blitz and the 4th and 3 late in the fourth quarter was big time coaching that sealed the deal. When those plays work it breeds confidence in both the staff and the team.

Take away the big play to Fitzgerald and Has pretty much took away the Cards vertical game. Truth is, the other team gets paid to play too. Also worth noting, the Redskins had only 3 penalties the entire game. When was the last time we could say that? That's coaching folks.

Who are your Studs?
Yeah it's Davis' time now and he's obviously taken over as the #1 te. Cooley wasn't even going out on patterns and was staying in to block.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #22
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

For the record, I have been calling to trade Cooley years ago. Unlike you all I am a visionary. Crystal-ball that Don!

I might have to bump some of my old threads....
Old 09-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #23
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Why trade when we've got a good thing going? I realize having a surplus at one position when you have weaknesses elsewhere is a good time to trade that surplus, but I like having two tight ends. That way if Cooley or Davis goes down I don't feel like we'd experience that big of a drop off. On the other hand, Cooley could get something decent.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #24
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Why trade when we've got a good thing going? I realize having a surplus at one position when you have weaknesses elsewhere is a good time to trade that surplus, but I like having two tight ends. That way if Cooley or Davis goes down I don't feel like we'd experience that big of a drop off. On the other hand, Cooley could get something decent.
That sounds like hatter talk. Don't make me bump my thread.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #25
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
That sounds like hatter talk. Don't make me bump my thread.
. You won't.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #26
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
As I said during the game, I don't know why fans think it is such a terrible thing to have two good players at one position. Unless there is a huge offer for Cooley, he should stay put.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #27
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
As I said during the game, I don't know why fans think it is such a terrible thing to have two good players at one position. Unless there is a huge offer for Cooley, he should stay put.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G.
Werd.

Not sent from my Samsung Epic 4G.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #28
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Werd.

Not sent from my Samsung Epic 4G.
As much as I love cooley, if we had an offer for a pro bowl caliber guard I would take it in a second.
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #29
12thMan
MVP

Not sure how much trade value Cooley has at this point, especially since he's not 100 percent.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #30
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSkinsFan View Post
As much as I love cooley, if we had an offer for a pro bowl caliber guard I would take it in a second.
As much as I love Cooley, I'd have to be seriously high to think a team would offer a Pro Bowl caliber guard that fits Shanny's scheme for him, even if he was fully healthy.