Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Re: Bucket's Breakdown Week 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
The Good

Rex Grossman : Rex seemed to put the doubters to rest for at least one week, and after a slow 0-4 start, Rex started to get into a good poise and produce some great throws for 4 potential scoring drives. The fade route to AA was one of the best throws iv'e seen from a quarterback in a Redskins uniform in 10 years. Even though the offensive line gave up some "lookout" blocks for Rex and gave him a pounding. He still stepped up most of the time and took the hit while making the throw. The fumble was bad, but I couldn't put it all on Rex after watching the play again. Trent Williams has to do a better job which i'll get to more below.

Rex has taken the leadership role. Listening to him post game and taking the blame for most of the sacks and not blaming the Oline is only proof that Shannahan is making the right choice for our under center general.
Ill add that the Gaffney TD throw was damn good too, and i was actually more impressed with it then the fade to AA. I believe Gaffney was his second look on the play but it got it off extremely fast and hit him perfectly.

Advertisements
Old 09-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #17
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Ill add that the Gaffney TD throw was damn good too, and i was actually more impressed with it then the fade to AA. I believe Gaffney was his second look on the play but it got it off extremely fast and hit him perfectly.
I think Gaffney was actually his first look. He only looked left to have the Linebacker fade that way since the linebacker was the only guy that could of jumped the route and break it up.

A lot of the pass plays in this offense are already set up for the QB. He doesn't have to make many reads. His first look will usually be the guy who is open and if not, then the QB makes his progressions, but kinda like Buffalo, the offense is designed to be QB friendly
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
Mayor
Camp Scrub

I don't think it's fair for "the critics" to call Williams a bust for one bad game. Criminies, the best of them have bad games.

It's one thing to call TW out for having a bad game, obviously he did... but to start throwing around the "bust" term? "The critics" might as well call Fred Davis a first ballot Hall of Famer while "they" are at it.
Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #19
Mechanix544
The Starter

I really hope that trent gets his shit together. Sucks to have a top 5 pick looking like he could pan out as well as a 3rd or 4th rounder could have. Not saying that he will, god I hope not, but from yesterdays game and a little from the preseason against backups, it seems that Silverback is going to have to do a little more than cut Burger King and cupcakes out of his diet to play like a bonafide solid Left tackle in this league.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #20
Defensewins
Playmaker

Good breakdown Bucket.
I think Rex Grossman could have gone in both the good and bad categories. Once he settled down he did get in to a groove for a while. But his fumbling is becoming a really big issue because throughout his career he has fumbled so many times....and it keeps happening.
His slow foot speed and lack of athleticism in this system (play action bootleg) is also a concern. The two or three consecutive sacks that cost us a chance at a field goal was a bone head rookie move. He should have dumped the ball instead of holding it for consecutive sacks. He seems slow at recognizing the blitz and getting rid of the ball quickly.

Reed Doughty is another guy that was up and down. He took some awful angles on some run plays that made him whiff on a couple of tackles. His slow reaction to the long TE completion in the middle of the field was frustrating because Eli threw a floater that was ripe for picking off or at least batting it down. That pass should never have been completed. Doughty was a step behind so many plays yesterday. Kind of reminded me of Andre Carter last year. I really like Doughty as a back up and special teams stand out. Awesome locker room guy and leader to the younger players. But he seriously lacks the athleticism to be an outstanding every down starting safety in the NFL. He is a huge weak link in the secondary and he will continued to get picked on by opposing offenses in the coming weeks until Dirty 30 comes back. He can improve the mental part but he is not going to get miraculously faster and more athletic. It is a matter of time until Gomes or another young player takes his back up role.
Lastly the running game was frustrating in the second half. It was getting so predictable that Hightower was running almost all of the stretch plays to the outside. I did not see any cutting back to the back side like we saw with great success in the preseason. Not sure why?
The BIG THUMBS UP to the defense. Thank you Allen and Shanahan for understanding the importance of fixing the defense first. Thank you Thank you Thank you. It already is paying dividends. The defense saved our hides this week.

Last edited by Defensewins; 09-12-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #21
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Good breakdown Bucket.
I think Rex Grossman could have gone in both the good and bad categories. Once he settled down he did get in to a groove for a while. But his fumbling is becoming a really big issue because throughout his career he has fumbled so many times....and it keeps happening.
His slow foot speed and lack of athleticism in this system (play action bootleg) is also a concern. The two or three consecutive sacks that cost us a chance at a field goal was a bone head rookie move. He should have dumped the ball instead of holding it for consecutive sacks. He seems slow at recognizing the blitz and getting rid of the ball quickly.

Reed Doughty is another guy that was up and down. He took some awful angles on some run plays that made him whiff on a couple of tackles. His slow reaction to the long TE completion in the middle of the field was frustrating because Eli threw a floater that was ripe for picking off or at least batting it down. That pass should never have been completed. Doughty was a step behind so many plays yesterday. Kind of reminded me of Andre Carter last year. I really like Doughty as a back up and special teams stand out. Awesome locker room guy and leader to the younger players. But he seriously lacks the athleticism to be an outstanding every down starting safety in the NFL. He is a huge weak link in the secondary and he will continued to get picked on by opposing offenses in the coming weeks until Dirty 30 comes back. He can improve the mental part but he is not going to get miraculously faster and more athletic. It is a matter of time until Gomes or another young player takes his back up role.
Lastly the running game was frustrating in the second half. It was getting so predictable that Hightower was running almost all of the stretch plays to the outside. I did not see any cutting back to the back side like we saw with great success in the preseason. Not sure why?
The BIG THUMBS UP to the defense. Thank you Allen and Shanahan for understanding the importance of fixing the defense first. Thank you Thank you Thank you. It already is paying dividends. The defense saved our hides this week.
A lot of people were ticked off that we changed to the 3-4 last year with the wrong players. Can I, even it is early in the season, just say that that choice will serve us well this year and beyond.

1) the players who could succeed in it are a year better and flow faster.

2) especially with the lockout, if we had stayed heavy 4-3 last year, this year's defense would be atrocious, if the coming change occurred now.

3) the coaching staff/FO were able to fairly evaluate every player, and team need for the draft and prioritize what players to go after.

4) the young guys can now draw off of the vets, ie Kerrigan from Orakpo, instead of all changing together.

I would like to believe all of these reasons fed into the 2-3 year plan that Shanahan and Allen have been working on. Assuming that that is true, it also gives me hope because even as exciting as beating the Giants at home on opening day was, we can build a little faith that what we see as defects are being worked on and the plan is being adjusted.

Shanahan and Allen are "The Adjustment Bureau"
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #22
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
As a possession receiver, he's fine. But look at his scoring -- as a touchdown threat he's been practically nonexistant. Again, I know that the slightest critique of Chris Cooley will send most fans in an apoplectic fit of rage. So it's certainly not a popular thing to say -- but I stand by my prediction -- (and that's all it is ... a prediction), Fred Davis will be more of a significant scoring threat than Chris Cooley when it's all said and done. And I'll take a healthy Fred Davis over a healthy Cooley right now.
Cooley TD's were down last yr but I'm not sure it was his fault. I'd like to see both of them thrive and have good years.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #23
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
As a possession receiver, he's fine. But look at his scoring -- as a touchdown threat he's been practically nonexistant. Again, I know that the slightest critique of Chris Cooley will send most fans in an apoplectic fit of rage. So it's certainly not a popular thing to say -- but I stand by my prediction -- (and that's all it is ... a prediction), Fred Davis will be more of a significant scoring threat than Chris Cooley when it's all said and done. And I'll take a healthy Fred Davis over a healthy Cooley right now.
As far as taking one over the other, we have them both right now, why not be happy about that? Davis can stretch the field, Cooley can work underneath.

Just not sure why it always has to be some sort of contest around here. He's my guy, no he's my guy. Who cares.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #24
GusFrerotte

Yeah the O line sucked run blocking virtually the entire game. I wasn't necessarily expecting Hightower to reach the century mark, but his ypc should have been better!!
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #25
#56fanatic
The Starter

I believe Rex played really well and most importantly the team took advantage of some key personel being out of the game for the Giants. In the 1st half there were some holes for T. Hightower to hit, few opportunities for Rex to be aggressive, 2nd half the Giants looked as if they focused more on stopping the run and having Rex beat them, which he did. He completed the drive towards the end of the game with some nice throws and didn't make the "big mistake" that has plagued us and him during his career.

The O-line is work in progress. Two new starters playing next to each other, and Brown basically starting the 1st time as a healthy player. I believe in the next couple of weeks, we will see this line come together and perform quite well.

The D-line played extremely well. Bowen and Cofield make a difference, big time. Nield played great as well (my WVU boy!) Imagine what this Defense as a whole will be when Dirty 30 is on the field. HOpefully he will be there soon.

As a whole, I was surprised by the teams performance. We were the one making the plays when it counted, instead of having those plays made against us. 1st week of a long season, but given what I saw in preseason and the 1st week of the season, it looks like a whole new ballgame in DC. I am truly excited about the way we are looking, the way the guys are buying into Shanny, and the way the guys really seem to be coming together, on and OFF the field.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #26
diehard
The Starter

If Trent Williams wasn't picked a couple of years ago, what would the OL look like now?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #27
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
I believe Rex played really well and most importantly the team took advantage of some key personel being out of the game for the Giants. In the 1st half there were some holes for T. Hightower to hit, few opportunities for Rex to be aggressive, 2nd half the Giants looked as if they focused more on stopping the run and having Rex beat them, which he did. He completed the drive towards the end of the game with some nice throws and didn't make the "big mistake" that has plagued us and him during his career.

The O-line is work in progress. Two new starters playing next to each other, and Brown basically starting the 1st time as a healthy player. I believe in the next couple of weeks, we will see this line come together and perform quite well.

The D-line played extremely well. Bowen and Cofield make a difference, big time. Nield played great as well (my WVU boy!) Imagine what this Defense as a whole will be when Dirty 30 is on the field. HOpefully he will be there soon.

As a whole, I was surprised by the teams performance. We were the one making the plays when it counted, instead of having those plays made against us. 1st week of a long season, but given what I saw in preseason and the 1st week of the season, it looks like a whole new ballgame in DC. I am truly excited about the way we are looking, the way the guys are buying into Shanny, and the way the guys really seem to be coming together, on and OFF the field.
Totally, the entire team is a work in progress. As much as the strides made in the offseason appear to Herculean. The same thing will happen again in the next offseason with draft, FA aquisition and another year in "the systems". It's an exciting time to be a Skins fan.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #28
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
If Trent Williams wasn't picked a couple of years ago, what would the OL look like now?
Well...

Okung is always hurt, and I forgot the others who were involved in the draft last year, but picking a LT was our top priority that year. I still think we took the best one. He just needs to get better
Old 09-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #29
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
I really hope that trent gets his shit together. Sucks to have a top 5 pick looking like he could pan out as well as a 3rd or 4th rounder could have. Not saying that he will, god I hope not, but from yesterdays game and a little from the preseason against backups, it seems that Silverback is going to have to do a little more than cut Burger King and cupcakes out of his diet to play like a bonafide solid Left tackle in this league.
It could be worse.

St. Louis Rams: Jason Smith

Is playing RT and was drafted #2 overall.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #30
Bucket
Playmaker

Chris Samuels Fadeaway - YouTube

Man I miss this guy