Manhunt for ex-LA cop suspected of shooting 3 cops and killing 2 others

Debating with the enemy

Old 02-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Manhunt for ex-LA cop suspected of shooting 3 cops and killing 2 others

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I love these people who craw out from under a rock after something happens. If he is man enough to come now why not when this happened?
Jesus H christ FD, did you not even read it? I don't even know why I bother .....I think JR covered the fact he's wrote a book about his events long before this.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Jesus H christ FD, did you not even read it? I don't even know why I bother .....I think JR covered the fact he's wrote a book about his events long before this.
You can use your ignore button and it won't hurt my feelings. Maybe if you read my other post you would see I correct what I said.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
itvnetop
Playmaker

Updates- Is it over?

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Also, Bentley has been off the force for 14 years. While I am certain it has not completed a 100% about face, Bentley's evidence is stale.

What is clear is that Dorner is, and was, a paranoid mental case who created a world in which he was a super-hero and all who disagreed with him, or simply failed to agree with him, were the enemy. While there may some kernels of truth somewhere in his ramblings, anything Dorner says or alleges is simply not worth the manifesto it's printed on.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
JoeRedskin

Much of the corruption and problems from the LAPD stem from the CRASH Rampart scandal and its aftermath.

http://www.lacp.org/2006-Articles-Ma...%20Summary.pdf
Old 02-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
JoeRedskin

As a result of the Rampart Scandal the LAPD entered into a Consent Decree in Federal Court. In 2009, the Federal Judge released the LAPD from the Decree:

Quote:
Declaring that the Los Angeles Police Department has reformed itself significantly after decades of corruption and brutality complaints, a U.S. judge on Friday ended a long-running period of federal oversight.

U.S. District Court Judge Gary A. Feess terminated the consent decree federal officials had imposed on the LAPD in 2001, after the Rampart corruption scandal. The decree required the department to undertake dozens of wide-ranging reforms meant to tighten internal checks on officers' conduct and subjected the department to rigorous audits by a monitor who reported to Feess.

"When the decree was entered, LAPD was a troubled department whose reputation had been severely damaged by a series of crises," Feess wrote in his ruling released early Friday evening. "In 2008, as noted by the monitor, 'LAPD has become the national and international policing standard for activities that range from audits to handling of the mentally ill to many aspects of training to risk assessment of police officers and more.' "
U.S. judge ends federal oversight of the LAPD - Los Angeles Times

Again, I am not alleging or asserting that the LAPD is not without fault. Clearly, it is still in need of reform:

Quote:
One of the outstanding issues is the department's handling of the hundreds of claims of racial profiling levied against officers by minorities each year. As part of the new agreement, the department must press ahead with a plan to outfit all its patrol vehicles with video cameras that will record all traffic and pedestrian stops. In addition, the commission will conduct a series of reports on how police officials investigate and resolve claims of racial profiling.

"We're disappointed by the judge's decision. The department has made substantial progress under Chief Bratton, but there's still too much evidence that skin color makes a difference in who is stopped, questioned and arrested by the LAPD," said Mark Rosenbaum, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union, Southern California -- the group that had most vocally argued against ending the consent decree.
[Same article as above]

My only point in all this is to express my disappointment at the readiness of people to give credence to the sprawling fantasy world of a murderer in order to assume the worst about police. I am no pollyanna and I have no illusions of police perfection or the existence of corruption. At the same time, law enforcement is a tough and often thankless job - and those who do it deserve nothing less than a fair critique.

Accepting that fair, honest and informed critique is necessary to ensure that our police forces conduct themselves appropriately, it should be obvious to all that Dorner's delusional ramblings were none of these - that this was not immediately recognized is disappointing to me.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
itvnetop
Playmaker

Not sure how other cities are, but every single one of my black friends that are male have been pulled over at least three times for dwb. This city's minority population (the Latino population is technically about to become majority) has a general distrust of the LAPD.

my blather
Old 02-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Not sure how other cities are, but every single one of my black friends that are male have been pulled over at least three times for dwb. This city's minority population (the Latino population is technically about to become majority) has a general distrust of the LAPD.
Yup. I get that and it seems, from the reaction to the consent order being lifted in 2009, this is still a concern. The black population's distrust of the Baltimore City PD is just as endemic and, I believe, equally well founded.

As with all things, especially where race and power are concerned, things change slowly. We are still only a generation or two away from a time when overt racism was acceptable to a majority of the US population.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Yup. I get that and it seems, from the reaction to the consent order being lifted in 2009, this is still a concern. The black population's distrust of the Baltimore City PD is just as endemic and, I believe, equally well founded.

As with all things, especially where race and power are concerned, things change slowly. We are still only a generation or two away from a time when overt racism was acceptable to a majority of the US population.
Good observation- agreed.

my blather
Old 02-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Innocent until proven barbecued.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Innocent until proven barbecued.

my blather
Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
JoeRedskin

^^^^^ Dayummmm ... that's just not right.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
^^^^^ Dayummmm ... that's just not right.
You know what else isn't right? The fact those cops set the building on fire and executed him. You can listen to the radio sequence and hear it yourself. That's exactly the kind of shit he was talking about and they proved him right.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
You know what else isn't right? The fact those cops set the building on fire and executed him. You can listen to the radio sequence and hear it yourself. That's exactly the kind of shit he was talking about and they proved him right.
I can't listen at work but will at home. I will reserve comment until then.