Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Re: Around the NFL Week 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Yup. We were taught to "bite the ball," making the ball your first contact area. If you bite the ball, neither the head nor the knees come into play.
Going back and watching some of the classic games from the 1980's, you see defensive backs and linebackers wrapping people up and tackling. Very few of them (unless they were Ronnie Lott) could hit a wide receiver and knock him down without having to wrap up.

The excuse is the receivers are so much faster nowadays that the defensive backs don't have enough time to react and wrap up, but why is that receivers evolved and defense backs did not?

Advertisements
Old 11-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Sapp says that Incognito used the n-word during a game.

Y! SPORTS

See , I 'm thinking something else .I was wondering if Martin might be gay and that's what this is about ?
Kerry Collins used the N word trying to make a joke and everyone new it but a few were upset and it took awhile for him to get through it .
Old 11-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Sapp says that Incognito used the n-word during a game.

Y! SPORTS
Nothing new in the NFL...

Michael Irvin: I'm 'Guilty' of Using N-Word

I wonder why, for once, THAT is not being the focus of the whole story, Riley Cooper says it drunk in a bar and gets ripped to shreds.

Incognito calls a teammate and uses the word while threatening his family...and the whole headline is "Richie is a bully".

This bullying is getting overblown everywhere...online bullying, in schools (and I have kids in school) and in the media. Are we raising kids so weak that they kill themselves over what some coward says on Facebook from their keyboard? Maybe we are and maybe that is why Martin was so "sensitive". Schools have a zero tolerance policy that punishes kids who are just trying to defend themselves as harshly as their attackers. Martin didn't seem to have the will or capacity to just tell Incognito, "that's enough, man". He's a grown man and can't stand up for himself? I do think there were underlying mental issues with him, but it's sad that he worked so hard and finally achieved his dream only to walk away because of a "bully".

When the victim is a 312-pound NFL lineman, I don't think "bullying" is the case, it's more of just harassment.

Back to my original point, why isn't this the predictable media story? Anyone else who uses that word (except for rappers and politicians who hang with them), has their lives ruined for uttering that single word. I wonder if the league, or the team, is downplaying that to avoid the bad press that it will give to the NFL?

It just seems like the NFL is being turned into a voice for political and social issues lately...racism, gays, "get out and play 60 minutes a day!", cancer awareness, now bullying...can't we just let them play football and stop trying to use the league to convey your views on everyone. Heck, they even let Bob Costas ramble on against the 2nd Amendment and the Redskins "racist" name during broadcasts. I flip the channel when it's halftime on Sunday nights now, just let me see football, Bob.

This whole story just seems so strange...the events of it and the coverage.

It does seem like a big leadership problem with the organization. They've recently been home to other headcases like Incognito.

I hope Martin finds a new team, he's a good player. We'll take him for our O-line.

He may need to toughen up if he wants to last in the NFL though. Incognito went WAY overboard with the threats and other antics, but he needs to stand up for himself where ever he goes.

Last edited by Monkeydad; 11-06-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
Bucket
Playmaker

This is where I get all my NFL information for Picks

Carl's Lock: Washington Redskins vs. Tennessee Titans - YouTube
Old 11-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Back to my original point, why isn't this the predictable media story? Anyone else who uses that word (except for rappers and politicians who hang with them), has their lives ruined for uttering that single word. I wonder if the league, or the team, is downplaying that to avoid the bad press that it will give to the NFL?
It's not the focus of the media story, because it's not the focus of the event, it's one action in a timeline of actions. The bullying is the focus, because it is the overall theme of what took place.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

A guy who commented on the Incognito incident summed up my feelings quite nicely:

"Those of you who think a grown man can't be bullied are ridiculous. Martin grew up in a lifestyle that didn't require him to become a hard nosed angry man. Its not in him to fight, he has other options. Football is what he enjoys. He has a degree from Stanford. He doesn't HAVE to play football and he doesn't have to risk jail time over someone. He handled it like he was raised, walk away and let the system fix it. Some of you need to stop beating your chests and realize not every man is made of STONE."

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #22
ram29jackson
Special Teams

Y! SPORTS

Quote:
The racial aspect of the saga took a fairly ridiculous turn when the Miami Herald posted a story titled "Richie Incognito considered black in Dolphins locker room." In it, three black Dolphins players are quoted as saying they don't think Incognito is a racist, and the Herald's Armando Salguero wrote this passage:

Well, I've spoken to multiple people today about this and the explanation from all of them is that in the Dolphins locker room, Richie Incognito was considered a black guy. He was accepted by the black players. He was an honorary black man.

And Jonathan Martin, who is bi-racial, was not. Indeed, Martin was considered less black than Incognito.

"Richie is honarary," one player who left the Dolphins this offseason told me today. "I don't expect you to understand because you're not black. But being a black guy, being a brother is more than just about skin color. It's about how you carry yourself. How you play. Where you come from. What you've experienced. A lot of things."

If you didn't think the Incognito story could get much weirder, it just did.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

I think the part in the voice mail where Incognito tells martin he's going $hit in his mouth was taken waaay out of context. nothing to see here move along please

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #24
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

That entire Dolphins locker room is borderline retarded.

It really doesn't matter if Incognito is black or white or honorary black or if he used the N word or whatever.

I'm pretty sure he's just an asshole.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Pretty much D-Rave.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #26
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
That entire Dolphins locker room is borderline retarded.

It really doesn't matter if Incognito is black or white or honorary black or if he used the N word or whatever.

I'm pretty sure he's just an asshole.
Truer words...and funny as hell too. Good game DRave
Old 11-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #27
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

OMG, I just noticed that Miami at Tampa Bay is the Monday Night Game! That game is going to be unwatchable on so many levels.

I can't even imagine what Bob Costas's typically sanctimonious segment will be like - but I can surely guess what the topic will be.

I am definitely going to skip what will surely be a polished turd of a viewing experience for many other people.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #28
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Man it would be great to be a fly on the wall inside a locker room,be great to know a player on the team and have an inside source.I guess the point I'm getting at is I wonder how RG3 is liked by his teammates? Hearing smoot talk about how he doesnt like how RG3 interacts with the team as opposed to Wilson and Luck makes me wonder if Griffins teammates actually like him or do they think he's a diva,brat,selfish or whatever you want to call him
Old 11-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #29
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
A guy who commented on the Incognito incident summed up my feelings quite nicely:

"Those of you who think a grown man can't be bullied are ridiculous. Martin grew up in a lifestyle that didn't require him to become a hard nosed angry man. Its not in him to fight, he has other options. Football is what he enjoys. He has a degree from Stanford. He doesn't HAVE to play football and he doesn't have to risk jail time over someone. He handled it like he was raised, walk away and let the system fix it. Some of you need to stop beating your chests and realize not every man is made of STONE."
^^^^^^
Incognito deserves a good old fashioned Ass Kickin'....BUT as the author points out, he should not have to. The racial stuff is way over the line and maybe he deserves 2 Ass Beatin's. I'd have no problem with it.....
Miami....organization is a mess.
AND now they have lost 40% of their already porous line....Wow
Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #30
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
OMG, I just noticed that Miami at Tampa Bay is the Monday Night Game! That game is going to be unwatchable on so many levels.

I can't even imagine what Bob Costas's typically sanctimonious segment will be like - but I can surely guess what the topic will be.

I am definitely going to skip what will surely be a polished turd of a viewing experience for many other people.
It will be so bad it's good, but what does Costas have to do with it