Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Re: Redskins "Name Change" Volume 10000000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the team doesn't start to change a lot of it's branding towards "Washington Football" in the short term, while leaving the name for the time being. A lot of the same imaging and theme, but placing the emphasis back on the team name "Washington" rather than the nickname "Redskins".

The problem with the name change argument is the same as all other highly politicized arguments: one side wants you to believe that hardly anyone at all is offended, and the other wants you to believe that the people who are offended are being offended in a life-changing way. Reality of course lies in the middle, but pretty much no one is there to cover the reality.
Well don't tell that to the team, they just redid all the sideline graphics on the walls around the stadium with more pronounced emblems and the redskins name in the classic cursive font. Looks great, I thought it was a big F u to all the haters when I saw it in the preseason.

Advertisements
Old 09-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
Well don't tell that to the team, they just redid all the sideline graphics on the walls around the stadium with more pronounced emblems and the redskins name in the classic cursive font. Looks great, I thought it was a big F u to all the haters when I saw it in the preseason.
More work ain't never a bad thing,
Old 09-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Name change to the Rednecks, and nobody would ****ing care.

Hopefully this type of feigned racial sensitivity wanes in the near future, or at least it just gets exposed as greed.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
HailGreen28
Playmaker

the name has only been used in an insulting way in the cowboy movies that Hollywood put out. why don't these gutless coward lawyers go after the movie industry?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
the name has only been used in an insulting way in the cowboy movies that Hollywood put out. why don't these gutless coward lawyers go after the movie industry?
Possibly, one in the same!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Name change to the Rednecks, and nobody would ****ing care.

Hopefully this type of feigned racial sensitivity wanes in the near future, or at least it just gets exposed as greed.
Yep
Old 09-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #22
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
What would you do with the old one SS ?
Expansion LFL team!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
Hey, hey, hey ... we are not gutless! Just greedy. Lots of money to be made win or lose.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #24
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Hey, hey, hey ... we are not gutless! Just greedy. Lots of money to be made win or lose.
Lol, I'm sure you know what I'm saying, but just for everybody else is benefit I'm only talking about the lawyers going after the Redskins
Old 09-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #25
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I would still be a fan of the team. But I still want it known that I don't ever want the name changed. The Indians should have been doing what they're doing now 50 years ago. I know they protested and brought the name to court before, but now they are more vocal and getting more supporters.

I also feel that it shows how (and I'm trying to think of the correct word here..) ..politically correct and uptight our nation has become. There are a lot of non-Native American blood people who are pushing for the name to change. I've always believed if you have nothing to do with the issue, its none of your business and worry about things that actually effect you.

Also, I don't think people see how big of a door they're opening if we change the name. It'll make other people (crazy, weird, annoying, whatever they are) to go out and sue their sporting franchises because it offends them in some way. For example:

Are uber-religious people going to sue the New Jersey Red Devils hockey team because it has the word Devil and we should praise or worship Devils?

Will little people sue the New York Giants because they feel uncomfortable hearing the word Giant?

These are jokes, but believe me, there are some weird and/or crazy people out their who are actually offended by the dumbest of things.

Would Florida State have to change their name from the Seminoles? What about the Blackhawks? How about the Cleveland Indians mascot, does it have to be changed?

I also remember I did a little math about the census of Native Americans living in the US and regarding the USA Today poll (Poll reveals overwhelming support for Redskins name) of asking Native Americans if the poll should change. They polled over 1,000 native americans and asked them. 11% said yes. 8% weren't sure. 2 % didn't answer. Lets assume the worst here in the demographic and say 11+8+2= 21% say it should change.

The Census (Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) shows that people who choose to identify themselves as "American Indian or Alaska Native" make up 0.9 % of this country, or in other words there are 2,932,248 people in this country who are Native American/American Indian.

That comes out to about 26,390 people here that are offended.

FedEx field holds about 79,000 people not including the standing room/party deck people (Redskins remove 4,000 seats from FedEx Field | ProFootballTalk). Thats roughly 1/3rd (33.41%) of FedEx Field sold out, that are pissed off that we are called the Redskins.

But hey I would still be a supporter of the Washington Warriors, should the name change to that.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #26
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

It's getting to the point where anyone can be offended about anything.

Grow a thicker skin, FFS!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #27
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

The more this issue gets brought up, the more I am getting heated about it. It's to the point where I don't even care about the intentions of the name anymore, I feel like people/media are hopping on the bandwagon because it's the trendy thing to do. And that pisses me off, if the name is going to be changed it should be because the majority of American Indian people are opposed to it, not because some dingleberry sports writer announces their intentions to stop using the name in protest (and thus gain more attention for hopping on the bandwagon early, just so they can feel good about themselves for "making a difference" later.)

If mothereffers cared about American Indians today, they wouldn't be out here fighting the name of a sports team, they'd be in the American Indian communities, helping with their societal problems, aka lack of education, prominent criminal culture amongst their youth, etc.

Another thing I dislike is the fact that this is only happening because the Redskins are relevant again. When we were irrelevant, and weren't being discussed that much in the national media, only the lawsuit holders cared about this, and now that we're in the news everyday for RG3 reports and the like, we're seeing all these random media members pop out of the woodworks and announce their intention to stop using the name. It's pretty annoying tbh, but the more people call it derogatory, the more press this issue receives, and in the end once the majority of public opinion is that the name is offensive, someone with a big enough shoe is going to step on Dan Snyder's toes until the name is changed. And that's why I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to accept that the name is going to be changed, it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. And with all that said, at the end of the day I'm still going to love this team no matter the name. But damn if I'm not going to defend our right to use it up until the end.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #28
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
It's getting to the point where anyone can be offended about anything.

Grow a thicker skin, FFS!
This. All the serious problems in the world today and people are getting offended by a word? Man the f up. If the majority of American Indians don't care about the name, neither do I.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #29
Green Monk Machine

does dan say enough of it and put the team up for sale offering $2-2.5 billion and walk away ?

I do like the blue and red unity of Washington sports teams- Senators, bullets, capitals, nationals, but the Burgundy and gold is an integral part to the team. as is having the first fight song.

All these "Indians" bothered by the term Redskins need to get over it. it seems more of opportunists in politics trying to make a name for themselves. of all the travesties in America, nobody cares about the indian people. heck what about the americans who aren't being valued more than the failing dollar? Banks and corporations are tanking the country well into future generations of debt and a football team that has existed for 80 years is the center of the problem? No. Those offended don't have the marbles to make a change.

No way in hell, a franchise should be forced to change by people not paying into the damage that change will result.

What about the guys with tattoo's? People like me who have been collecting jerseys and everything else since birth and inherited stuff from the '40's?

no way in hell. I say get in line if you are offended by the redskins. the line forms behind the loyal fans and we aren't going anywhere.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #30
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
This. All the serious problems in the world today and people are getting offended by a word? Man the f up. If the majority of American Indians don't care about the name, neither do I.
Come on now, we all know Americans' favorite past time is to take up a cause with which they have no connection or knowledge. This is right up people's alley. Gotsta have something to complain about to mask how miserable they are with their own lives.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
Closed Thread