I like big (_|_)s.

Re: HDTV Help

Just some stuff I got from CR.

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #17
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I have said this before but save the money and go 720p. Nothing coming out of your cable box or dish is running higher then 720p. Only way to experience 1080p is through Blue Ray or HD DVD, there is another $500.

480 to 720 big jump in picture quality, 720 to 1080 a step forward. There will also be the big and better thing in electronics, you just need to know when it is worth spending more money for the bigger and better thing.

But it is your money...
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:35 AM   #18
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

That's information I didn't know. So pretty much go lower if you can...?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:35 AM   #19
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I have said this before but save the money and go 720p. Nothing coming out of your cable box or dish is running higher then 720p. Only way to experience 1080p is through Blue Ray or HD DVD, there is another $500.

480 to 720 big jump in picture quality, 720 to 1080 a step forward. There will also be the big and better thing in electronics, you just need to know when it is worth spending more money for the bigger and better thing.

But it is your money...
What about for PS3 and systems like that?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #20
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

But it is your money...
Along with this, if you're buying a display under 50" and sitting at a normal viewing distance you won't ever be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p even if the 1080p display has a 1080p source.

I saw the math somewhere online but I can't find the link, but basically the 20/20 human eye can't distinguish a detail difference on a sub-50" display at 1080p unless you basically sit like 3 feet away from it.

In other words, if you're buying under 50" save yourself some dough and get a 720p. Over 50" you probably want to get 1080p so you'll be all set for 1080p sources in the future.

EDIT: I DID find some of the links, check these out:

1080p vs 720p - Is it worth it?

How Big a TV Do You Need?

Resolution Chart

According to the middle link and it's related chart (last link), you don't even start to really see a noticeable difference in 1080p vs 720p until you hit a screen of about 80+ inches.

If you're buying an 80" display, please invite me over.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #21
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
Along with this, if you're buying a display under 50" and sitting at a normal viewing distance you won't ever be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p even if the 1080p display has a 1080p source.

I saw the math somewhere online but I can't find the link, but basically the 20/20 human eye can't distinguish a detail difference on a sub-50" display at 1080p unless you basically sit like 3 feet away from it.

In other words, if you're buying under 50" save yourself some dough and get a 720p. Over 50" you probably want to get 1080p so you'll be all set for 1080p sources in the future.
But Jessica Simpson's boobs implied that I need 1080i to enjoy Jessica Simpson's boobs. They wouldn't lie to me, would they?
Old 12-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #22
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:

On my 52" it reads the 360 as 1080p.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #23
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
But Jessica Simpson's boobs implied that I need 1080i to enjoy Jessica Simpson's boobs. They wouldn't lie to me, would they?
Jessica Simpson's boobs ARE the exception to this rule. They look better and better the higher resolution you go, and the screen size makes no difference.

I can personally vouch that Jessica Simpson's boobs at 2160p (Ultra-Def) on a 160" screen are...well, let's just say it was a nice experience.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #24
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

She's doing a full frontal in some movie coming up.

Thomas Paine
Old 12-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #25
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
On my 52" it reads the 360 as 1080p.
What'cha mean it "reads it"?
Old 12-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #26
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
She's doing a full frontal in some movie coming up.
That'll be good in ANY resolution.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #27
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
What'cha mean it "reads it"?
On the Aquos it reads the signal coming in and displays whatever the resolution it is. For example, I have a DVD player, XBOX 360 and D-TV box all hooked up via HDMI. It displays 480p when playing the DVD's, 1080p on the 360 and 780p on DirecTV. So from that I assume that since all are coming in via the same type of interface that the resolution must be being read somehow.

Thomas Paine
Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #28
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
That'll be good in ANY resolution.
Uh, yeah. I don't know what the movie is going to be called, but I know I will own it. May buy it twice, just to have a backup copy.

Thomas Paine
Old 12-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #29
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
On the Aquos it reads the signal coming in and displays whatever the resolution it is. For example, I have a DVD player, XBOX 360 and D-TV box all hooked up via HDMI. It displays 480p when playing the DVD's, 1080p on the 360 and 780p on DirecTV. So from that I assume that since all are coming in via the same type of interface that the resolution must be being read somehow.
Oh yeah, I wasn't saying that it wouldn't read the signal. Any 1080p display will read a 1080p source. Heck, you could have a 10" 1080p screen if you wanted.

My point was just that even if it's displaying 1080p, at a viewing distance of 12-15 feet you won't notice the difference between 1080p and 720p on a 50" screen or less.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #30
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Oh yeah, I wasn't saying that it wouldn't read the signal. Any 1080p display will read a 1080p source. Heck, you could have a 10" 1080p screen if you wanted.

My point was just that even if it's displaying 1080p, at a viewing distance of 12-15 feet you won't notice the difference between 1080p and 720p on a 50" screen or less.
When I mentioned it reading the 360 at 1080p i was just commenting on the post that said you're only getting a full 1080p source from blu ray. Just being anal. Personally, when I made the decision to spend the money on a nicer TV, I wanted it to be top of the line. My personality is just of the type that if I bought it at 780p and new there was another step up I could've gone for a few hundred bucks more--- I would've regretted the decision. that's all.

Thomas Paine