Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Sequestration - good, bad, or indifferent?

Debating with the enemy

Old 03-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Sequestration - good, bad, or indifferent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
For me, anything that forces spending cuts on the holy grails of the government budget is good. And this bill gives everyone cover so we can trim some and let 2011's congress and president take the blame. We should make automatic 5-10% cuts after each house term (unless we are in a balanced budget or net surplus situation) and then let the new Congress reset priorities if needed.
Problem is these cut are only a reduction of the increased spending for 2013. This guy has no clue how to lead only knows how to blame. Also these dumb cuts and Sequestration was his idea.

As meeting yields no breakthrough, Obama blames 'dumb' cuts on GOP - First Read
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

The real cut vs cut from expected spending battle was tried already. The media calls them cuts so the public en masse is going to perceive them as cuts. And voters are going to look at them as cuts, and that goes for both sides of the argument. The military already has their numbers budgeted and if there is a reduction military proponents will blame sequestration cuts. There really is no need to point at one side or the other, although that is what US politics is about right now, both sides are sticking to their scripts, and hoping in the end the other side folds.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Honestly, if we could only eliminate citizen voting, and move to robotic voters, we would solve the country's problems.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
HailGreen28
Playmaker

If this graph is true, we need more "sequestration". Not more crying while spending more and more.

HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

its criminal the President tried to get a tax increase as part of this sequester deal.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
its criminal the President tried to get a tax increase as part of this sequester deal.

No, it's not but all from him on down should take the blame for this BS.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #22
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

This administration continues to flounder in its incompetence.
This news story really breaks my heart -

Military spending cuts ground Blue Angels, Thunderbirds - U.S. News
Old 03-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #23
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

It breaks your heart that planes flying at sporting events and air shows (the definition of WASTEFUL SPENDING) are getting grounded? If you want to cut the budget, fine, but lets really look at useless spending. Those planes cost millions of dollars and the fuel is very expensive. Not to mention the time of the pilots, the training, etc. It will affect the merchants in the area, but budget reductions will have that affect.

Alvin -- stop talking out of both sides of your mouth. If you want to cut spending, fine. But these frivolous programs are the ones that need to be the first to go. There is no economical gain for these programs nor is there any social gain.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
It breaks your heart that planes flying at sporting events and air shows (the definition of WASTEFUL SPENDING) are getting grounded? If you want to cut the budget, fine, but lets really look at useless spending. Those planes cost millions of dollars and the fuel is very expensive. Not to mention the time of the pilots, the training, etc. It will affect the merchants in the area, but budget reductions will have that affect.

Alvin -- stop talking out of both sides of your mouth. If you want to cut spending, fine. But these frivolous programs are the ones that need to be the first to go. There is no economical gain for these programs nor is there any social gain.
I loved the Thunderbirds growing up, but absolutely agree that this is a solid decision.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #25
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:

have you ever seen their event rider. it requires a minimum of 34 dedicated vehicles, provided by the base/area, and they come with about a billionty support personnel.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #26
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Quote:

You really have no idea what the feck you are talking about.
It is hardly wastefull spending.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
have you ever seen their event rider. it requires a minimum of 34 dedicated vehicles, provided by the base/area, and they come with about a billionty support personnel.
I haven't seen their event rider, but I knew it took a lot to make that happen. I can't believe the priorities of our culture. Laws that make sure every person in this country has healthcare -- unconstitutional and a waste of money. Blue Angels stop flying -- and it's a travesty? Where are our priorities?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #28
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
I haven't seen their event rider, but I knew it took a lot to make that happen. I can't believe the priorities of our culture. Laws that make sure every person in this country has healthcare -- unconstitutional and a waste of money. Blue Angels stop flying -- and it's a travesty? Where are our priorities?
The reason Obama is having them cut the BA and TB is beacuase its something that affects people and something we can actually see happening. He then has something to point to and blame the rep.. There are so many other things we waste our money on but cutting those would not affect people and not help him. The first thing they should do is change how they budget spending. The way they do it now when a department does not spend their annual budget it gets reduced to what they spent in the prior year. So come Nov & Dec they BUY, BUY, BUY so their budget does not get cut. We should award employees who save money not punish them. I'd also come up with a bonuse system for any employee who comes up with money cutting ideas. While I know Obama is not totally to blame his leadership right now sucks and he is acting like a little child when they don't get their way. There have been other Presidents I didn't agree with but I could respeck them for their leadership which I cannot say about Obamaq.

Last edited by firstdown; 03-03-2013 at 04:16 PM.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #29
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

One of the greatest recruiting tools we ever had and a huge source of national pride flushed right down the toilet.
But I expect no less from an incompetent liberal administration.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The reason Obama is having them cut the BA and TB is beacuase its something that affects paople and something we can actually. He then has something to point to and blame the rep.. There are so many other things we waste our money on but cutting those would not affect people and not help him. The first thing they should do is change how they budget spending. The way they do it now when a department does not spend their annual budget it gets reduced to what they spent in the prior year. So come Nov & Dec they BUY, BUY, BUY so their budget does not get cut. We should award employees who save money not punish them. I'd also come up with a bonuse system for any employee who comes up with money cutting ideas. While I know Obama is not totally to blame his leadership right now sucks and he is acting like a little child when they don't get their way. There have been other Presidents I didn't agree with but I could respeck them for their leadership which I cannot say about Obamaq.
FD. I don't disagree that there are other programs as well. However, we are focusing on one-of-many right now. I'm just saying, I don't think it's fair to point at X, Y, and Z because it doesn't affect you, then say something like the blue angels is important. It's a drop in the bucket, but with enough drops the bucket eventually fills up.

I agree there should be more incentives for saving money in the government. I believe incentive programs would be a great way to start helping the savings. As someone that has been involved with our end-of-year funds lately, it's not as cut and dry. Yes, there is BUY BUY BUY at the end, but we're still making choice of what to get and what not to get. I'm an IT guy and I'm using a 7 year old desktop at work because we've sacrificed our tech refresh to focus on getting OIG mandated products.

Just because a lot of buying happens at the last minute doesn't mean it's being spent on useless products. Part of the reason it is spent that way is instead of 'financing' a product we need to purchase, we try to front-load it to reduce payments over time.