Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Manhunt for ex-LA cop suspected of shooting 3 cops and killing 2 others

Debating with the enemy

Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #16
itvnetop
Playmaker

Not sure how other cities are, but every single one of my black friends that are male have been pulled over at least three times for dwb. This city's minority population (the Latino population is technically about to become majority) has a general distrust of the LAPD.

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Re: Manhunt for ex-LA cop suspected of shooting 3 cops and killing 2 others

Innocent until proven barbecued.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Well, in fairness, Bently wrote a book about the LAPD's endemic racism while he was still on the force. Pretty significant way to man up on the matter.
My bad should have read the whole thing first.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Not sure how other cities are, but every single one of my black friends that are male have been pulled over at least three times for dwb. This city's minority population (the Latino population is technically about to become majority) has a general distrust of the LAPD.
Yup. I get that and it seems, from the reaction to the consent order being lifted in 2009, this is still a concern. The black population's distrust of the Baltimore City PD is just as endemic and, I believe, equally well founded.

As with all things, especially where race and power are concerned, things change slowly. We are still only a generation or two away from a time when overt racism was acceptable to a majority of the US population.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I love these people who craw out from under a rock after something happens. If he is man enough to come now why not when this happened?
Jesus H christ FD, did you not even read it? I don't even know why I bother .....I think JR covered the fact he's wrote a book about his events long before this.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Innocent until proven barbecued.

my blather
Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #22
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Yup. I get that and it seems, from the reaction to the consent order being lifted in 2009, this is still a concern. The black population's distrust of the Baltimore City PD is just as endemic and, I believe, equally well founded.

As with all things, especially where race and power are concerned, things change slowly. We are still only a generation or two away from a time when overt racism was acceptable to a majority of the US population.
Good observation- agreed.

my blather
Old 02-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
JoeRedskin

^^^^^ Dayummmm ... that's just not right.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Jesus H christ FD, did you not even read it? I don't even know why I bother .....I think JR covered the fact he's wrote a book about his events long before this.
You can use your ignore button and it won't hurt my feelings. Maybe if you read my other post you would see I correct what I said.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #26
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

LOL. You post tripe from a "ex" girlfriend as a character assassination? Wow...lol

No offense JR, but judicial system is just as complicit and crooked as the cops. Judges and lawyers are bought off all the time and to think otherwise is simply being naive. Being paranoid doesn't make you wrong, and who's the say that this girlfriend isn't some lunatic that wants revenge on her ex?

Furthermore, I'm absolutely sick and ****ing tired of every time somebody exposes something, they are "deranged" or "crazy". You know what's crazy? Allowing corrupt cops and lawyers to continue running a corrupt system where the cops can do whatever they want and nothing happen.

Executed. Yet this cop was cleared.

Wrongful-death lawsuit filed against LA County Sheriff's Department in fatal shooting | abc7.com

How many cops were sentenced for this?

None.

I believe Dorner more than I do crooked cops and judges, who continue to cover up crimes commited by LA law enforcers.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #27
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
You can use your ignore button and it won't hurt my feelings. Maybe if you read my other post you would see I correct what I said.

Stop being butthurt because I call you out on not reading the article. It's about as bad as Goat giving his thoughts on the game and didn't even seen it yet.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
^^^^^ Dayummmm ... that's just not right.
You know what else isn't right? The fact those cops set the building on fire and executed him. You can listen to the radio sequence and hear it yourself. That's exactly the kind of shit he was talking about and they proved him right.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #29
JoeRedskin

Quote:
LOL. You post tripe from a "ex" girlfriend as a character assassination? Wow...lol

... Being paranoid doesn't make you wrong, and who's the say that this girlfriend isn't some lunatic that wants revenge on her ex?
I posted it to show that perhaps, just perhaps, the individual involved was not entirely stable and more than a little delusional. Her statements seem consistent with his rambling, paranoid manifesto and his actions, i.e., rolling up on cops sitting in their car - not LAPD mind you - and opening fire on them after killing the daughter of the guy that defended him. Rather than simply dismiss her as a vindictive ex, find me statements, any statements, of someone who knew him at or near the time of the incidents in question that (1) contradict her characterizations; (2) indictate his actions were completely out character; and/or (3) supports the specific facts presented in his manifesto. I have seen no one, not a single soul who was familiar with him, state that he has been mischaracterized as a delusional, paranoid murderer.

Your inherent prejudices are obvious. You instantly credit the word of a murderer who leaves a twenty page rant but call an ex-girlfriend's allegations "tripe" even though they are facially no more or less credible than his. I found nothing in her statements that seemed overly vindictive or angry - just the statements of a scared ex. Why are her statements instantly discredited by you? Why are they to be accorded so little weight? B/c she is an ex-girlfriend? No, because she disagrees with your perception. Of course, had she blamed the other officers or given a statement in accord with your beliefs, I have no doubt she would have gain instant credibility in your eyes and cited in support of your position. In and of themselves, her statements are proof of nothing, but, in light of Dorner's own words and actions, I find them much more convincing than not of his delusional world view.

As to "being wrong", I do not assert that the LAPD is not still having issues - just as itventop mentioned - at the same time, federal oversight was removed b/c of the strides made and as observed by independent federal investigators. Is that conclusive? of course not, but it should be seen for what it was - non-LAPD investigators finding actual improvement. Did you read the Rampart Report? the original Consent Decree? or the ruling of Judge Feess?

Quote:
No offense JR, but judicial system is just as complicit and crooked as the cops. Judges and lawyers are bought off all the time and to think otherwise is simply being naive. ...

Furthermore, I'm absolutely sick and ****ing tired of every time somebody exposes something, they are "deranged" or "crazy". You know what's crazy? Allowing corrupt cops and lawyers to continue running a corrupt system where the cops can do whatever they want and nothing happen.

Executed. Yet this cop was cleared.

How many cops were sentenced for this?

None.
You know, I work in the legal system every day. Have done so for over 20 years now. Although I work in the civil side, I have defended Troopers in tort cases from auto-accidents to excessive force matters. In my over 20 years, and as to the hundreds of legislators, lawyers and judges with whom I have worked, there has never been a situation where I witnessed or even suspected corruption. Stupidity, incompetence and individual dishonesty - yup. Is this proof that corruption is non-existent? of course not. It is, to me anyway, proof that it is not as pervasive as some folks tend to think.

As for the anecdotal cases you bring forward, you may be right - they may be just as bad as you suggest. There may, of course, be another side to the story - one which doesn't fit into a 10 minute youtube clip and which you would undoubtedly & instantly discredit b/c it would most likely contradict with your world view that cops are guilty of any and all alleged corruption and evil until their innocence is proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

I have no idea if police are being sanctioned more or less than they were 10, 20 or 30 years ago. I googled it and didn't see anything that looked like a legitmate comprehensive study on the issue. Everyday, however, their are literally 1000's of interactions between civilians and law enforcement. Undoubtedly, there will be wrongs committed and, equally undoubtedly, police brutality and corruption are real things. However, it does seem to me that, in this day and age of cell phones and videos, the public actions of police are under more scrutiny than they have ever been before. I also know from my professional interactions with police departments and police officers that there are more and more safeguards put in place against the abuse of authority than there were even 10 years ago. To be clear, I consider that a good thing.

Quote:
I believe Dorner more than I do crooked cops and judges, who continue to cover up crimes commited by LA law enforcers.
Of course you do - he may be a murderer, but he is a murderer who preaches to your choir so he must be right. To me, based on the entirety of his ramblings and his murderous actions, I find him to be an individual who perceptions are deeply and inherently flawed and, thus, find his words to carry as much weight as the paper on which they are printed and no more.

Last edited by JoeRedskin; 02-15-2013 at 03:38 PM.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
JoeRedskin

Quote:
You know what else isn't right? The fact those cops set the building on fire and executed him. You can listen to the radio sequence and hear it yourself. That's exactly the kind of shit he was talking about and they proved him right.
I can't listen at work but will at home. I will reserve comment until then.