Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Societal Decay - Henson Ong

Debating with the enemy

Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Societal Decay - Henson Ong

and btw, homicides don't cover gun deaths. suicides are almost 2:1 vs homicides for deaths, with some accidents or unknowns thrown in for measure.

and some of the horrible countries for homicides on that list report ALL gun deaths as homicides, 0 suicides, 0 accidents, so some of the data may be a bit inaccurate from those places.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Switzerland has the third highest rate of ownership (due to their militia) and one of the lowest rates of gun crime, due to their responsible citizenry.

This nice chap has done the work for you
Please take a look at my post about Switzerland in the other thread. Switzerland has extremely high gun ownership, but it is almost impossible to buy ammunition. You can buy ammunition at the shooting range but it must be used while there and cannot be taken home. Secondly, if there is some sort of conflict, you can go to the armory and they will sign ammunition over to you for war purposes. It used to be they let people keep X amount in their home, but it was audited yearly to ensure it hadn't been used. They have since changed that.

Also, your scatter graph is gun homocides. Which by definition does not include accidental deaths or suicides. Perhaps may not even count unsolved crimes.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
switzerland isn't close to the "lowest" they have 3.8 deaths per capita, ~40% of the US total, and about 1600% more than the UK.
Yes, I am removing 'suicide' from the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I'd also argue that gun deaths are a kind gun violence. I wonder how armed robbery and armed rape stack up vs other countries...
I said 'Violence', to be clear. Gun violence is a subset of violence, clearly, but I said we have less violence than we did.

Turns out the incidents of violent crime increased dramatically after the Aussie gun ban, but who cares about that, eh?

Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:
  • Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
  • During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
  • Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
  • Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
  • At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
  • Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
firstdown
Living Legend

There has been so much info thrown around about guns and gun violence its getting hard to tell what the hell is the truth. I've seen countries that have tons of guns with very little problems and countries like the US with a big problem. I've seen countries with tight gun control with very little problems and some that have high crimes and violence. I'd love to see a break down of those extremes looked at very closly to see why the hugh difference.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Seattle buyback epic FAIL:

Seven hundred and sixteen guns were collected at Saturday’s gun buyback program in Seattle. But officials say they are disturbed by the large number of private gun buyers the event attracted.

Mayor Mike McGinn says he was shocked by what he describes as the “gaggles” of private gun buyers who showed up to tempt people away from the long lines and gift cards and offer them cash for their weapons.

“We had a gun bazaar break out of the streets of Seattle outside of a gun buyback. That was just insane."

Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #21
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Well trolled sir (or madame).
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #22
firstdown
Living Legend

What bad ass semi automatic street sweeper shot guns. Who ever turned those in is a dumb ass. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't end up in some cops collection.

firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #23
Giantone
Gamebreaker

......and it starts ,all over again.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

VIDEO: Dad of Sandy Hook Victim Gives Emotional Remarks on Gun Control, Saying “The Problem Is Not Gun Laws” | Fox News Insider

It's a cold day in hell because I'm posting something from Fox news. This is a emotional speech given by Mark Mattioli. His son was killed in the Sandy Hook tragedy, and I applaud his thoughts on the issue.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
VIDEO: Dad of Sandy Hook Victim Gives Emotional Remarks on Gun Control, Saying “The Problem Is Not Gun Laws” | Fox News Insider

It's a cold day in hell because I'm posting something from Fox news. This is a emotional speech given by Mark Mattioli. His son was killed in the Sandy Hook tragedy, and I applaud his thoughts on the issue.

Out of the 27 dead in Sandy Hook school shooting how many family and friends of the victims do feel the need for better gun control?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post

Gabrielle Giffords' Emotional Plea for Senate 'Courage' on Gun Control - ABC News

....and I applaud hers being a victim herself ,she and her husband are both gun owners.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Gabrielle Giffords' Emotional Plea for Senate 'Courage' on Gun Control - ABC News

....and I applaud hers being a victim herself ,she and her husband are both gun owners.
"Violence is a big problem. Too many children are dying. Too many children. We must do something. It will be hard, but the time is now. You must act. Be bold, be courageous, Americans are counting on you. Thank you," Giffords said before being helped out of the hearing room.

Then you'll applaud pretty much anything as nothing of substance, yet again, got said.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #28
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #29
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

I think I see a problem:

Man killed mother at 14 years old, was sent to mental hospital, released at 21 and was able to buy 15 GUNS.

A young man who was convicted of shooting his mother to death as a teen and sent to a mental hospital for years was still able to buy 15 guns once he was released.

Chris Oberender was convicted of killing his mother in 1995 when he was 14-years-old, and he was sentenced to a mental hospital until he was 21-years-old.

Now he is awaiting jail in Minnesota for buying illegal firearms since he is banned from owning guns because he is a convicted felon.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #30
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
I think I see a problem:

Man killed mother at 14 years old, was sent to mental hospital, released at 21 and was able to buy 15 GUNS.

A young man who was convicted of shooting his mother to death as a teen and sent to a mental hospital for years was still able to buy 15 guns once he was released.

Chris Oberender was convicted of killing his mother in 1995 when he was 14-years-old, and he was sentenced to a mental hospital until he was 21-years-old.

Now he is awaiting jail in Minnesota for buying illegal firearms since he is banned from owning guns because he is a convicted felon.
I agree. We need to start with universal background checks so someone can't just go to a private dealer for their guns with little to no oversight. Even if he had a forged license, a private dealer wouldn't be able to tell.