Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 PM   #16
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
thats what i don't get, 3-7, who gives a shit might as well play like your record stats, nothing to lose.

it's not like this season could get any worse unless snyder fires zorn and gives vinny a headset. i don't get why we don't play balls to the wall what are we holding back for, a top 5 pick?
Ok don't give the tiny man in the owner's box any ideas...file them under "The things we think about but do not say"

Advertisements
Old 11-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #17
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
I disagree with that assessment of the defense. If anything I think that the defense has kept us in games. They are top 5 in keeping teams out of the endzone. You can't honestly think they are going to shut out every NFL team, every time especially with the way the rules are set up to help offenses
And especially when you have the weapons that Philly does; on top of them getting 2 INTs
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #18
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I know its on a bunch of people...but smack down on our 2 mintue offense at the end of games... I was on the AIM with Dasel and said "I'll be you my life this drive goes no more than four plays"... I mean when is the last time we have driven down to tie or win a game? I dont even put this on Campbell, because I honest to god can't remember the last time anyone in the orginazation did... I mean its just crazy... really not a whole lot of smack, but I just had to say that.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #19
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Does anybody really feel like we should seriously consider not trading or letting JC go after this season? Because I'm busting out and saying it, I think we shouldn't do anything with JC after the season and we should let the new coach/GM decide whether to keep him or not. Because he's been making more plays and playing like a good quarterback this season ever since he got a little o-line stability in front of him. I really think he's progressed this season despite the o-line hurting badly. He started off slow and yes obviously his two picks today hurt us, but he still makes a lot of positive plays and ever since the second half of the Atlanta game he's been looking pretty good.
I mean that's what a good franchise would do: let the legitimate decision-makers decide, as in a real GM and whoever the coach is next year. I still don't see any reason to believe that's how things will go...Snyder will still be the final say on everything. That said I think JC probably gets dumped or pushed to the backup (Collins gone for sure).
Old 11-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #20
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
I disagree with that assessment of the defense. If anything I think that the defense has kept us in games. They are top 5 in keeping teams out of the endzone. You can't honestly think they are going to shut out every NFL team, every time especially with the way the rules are set up to help offenses
We'll they've kept us in almost half our games now. They didn't give up any big plays against Dallas, Carolina, or Kansas City, and those losses are certainly not on the defense. But we won the Denver game largely in-spite of a bunch of defensive breakdowns.

Anecdotally, our defense "deserves" to have about 5 wins in 11 games. I'm defining this arbitrary designation by crediting them for wins where they gave up 1) no TD drives of 80 yards or longer, 2) no TD plays of 30 yards or longer, and 3) either (at least) one turnover or three sacks.

So, based only on the quality of the defense, we should be better than our record says we are, but still not a playoff team.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #21
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
I know its on a bunch of people...but smack down on our 2 mintue offense at the end of games... I was on the AIM with Dasel and said "I'll be you my life this drive goes no more than four plays"... I mean when is the last time we have driven down to tie or win a game? I dont even put this on Campbell, because I honest to god can't remember the last time anyone in the orginazation did... I mean its just crazy... really not a whole lot of smack, but I just had to say that.
Good smack. We get inside the twenty and we change jerseys or something. It's like you it's coming, but you hope you're wrong.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #22
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
And I might just be becoming a Ganther Gangsta. He's not a feature back but I love what he's brought to the table.
I agree. He does several things including running hard, with a purpose. I hope he stays with us.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:25 AM   #23
MTK
\m/

We had a chance to really take control of the game but Zorn showed no balls by playing for the 3 instead of taking a shot at the endzone. When you're 3-7 where's the "nothing to lose" mentality? I really didn't understand that thinking at all. That's the kind of thing I look at and say, Shanahan would have gone for the throat there no doubt. Zorn is just too soft.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #24
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
We had a chance to really take control of the game but Zorn showed no balls by playing for the 3 instead of taking a shot at the endzone. When you're 3-7 where's the "nothing to lose" mentality? I really didn't understand that thinking at all. That's the kind of thing I look at and say, Shanahan would have gone for the throat there no doubt. Zorn is just too soft.
Zorn has always coached as if he has an elite defense, which has cost him more than a game over the years.

For some defenses, you can go up 8 and kick to them, knowing that even if they miraculously get into the end zone, you still have a good chance to keep them out on the conversion. But with a majority of NFL defenses, the offense needs to put the game away when it has the chance. More and more these days, coaches that leave it to their defenses are getting burned.

It's also the reason our PPG figures are so consistently low: Zorn always plays the clock in that situation rather than the score. It's not right or wrong, in nature, but it drives me crazy.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #25
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I completely agree with you on this point. I came away from the game with the feeling that Zorn really let his players down by not trusting them enough to go for it at that point. Had we scored a touchdown there, I think we probably would have won the game.

I find it interesting that it was Vinny's intent to replace Zorn as the play-caller, yet Zorn took over the play-calling at this critical juncture and, IMO, blew the game.

To me, Zorn's taking control of play-calling at key points in this game to poor effect and his conservative coaching decisions in the Cowboys game, which I think contributed to that loss, have sealed his fate. After these two painful division losses, there's little doubt left in my mind that Zorn will be fired at the end of the season.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #26
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
That's funny, b/c that's who we thought Zorn was, an "anti" Gibbs, attacking offense. Zorn has morphed into a conservative offensive playcaller after 2 years in DC.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #27
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
i was saying the same thing while watching. then fox puts up a graphic that says Campbell has 7 fourth quarter comebacks in his career. when did they happen? i didnt know practice counted
Old 11-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #28
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i was saying the same thing while watching. then fox puts up a graphic that says Campbell has 7 fourth quarter comebacks in his career. when did they happen? i didnt know practice counted
Well the 4th quarter is 15 minutes long, it's not just the final two minutes.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #29
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Definitely, definitely it was the playcalling that killed us on Sunday...Im confused was Zorn calling plays or was Lewis

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #30
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I completely agree with you on this point. I came away from the game with the feeling that Zorn really let his players down by not trusting them enough to go for it at that point. Had we scored a touchdown there, I think we probably would have won the game.

I find it interesting that it was Vinny's intent to replace Zorn as the play-caller, yet Zorn took over the play-calling at this critical juncture and, IMO, blew the game.

To me, Zorn's taking control of play-calling at key points in this game to poor effect and his conservative coaching decisions in the Cowboys game, which I think contributed to that loss, have sealed his fate. After these two painful division losses, there's little doubt left in my mind that Zorn will be fired at the end of the season.

I think they should just fire the guy right now. At this point why wait? They've got a playcaller so just go ahead do it. This way they can get a head start on talking to Shanahan.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote