Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

Other Sports

Old 02-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #16
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: 2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

George Mason vs. VCU: Sherrod Wright buzzer-beater gives Patriots a key CAA win - The Washington Post

what a classic

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Definitely a Valentine's heartbreaker for us VCU fans.

Chico you’re a GMU alum right? DC Tailgate are you a GMU fan too?

It should be a damn good rematch next weekend. You going Chico?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Anyone from teh DC area know of Marcus Thornton playing for William and Merry from Bishop Mcnamara HS in Upper Marlboro?

I think hes the best freshman point guard ive seen in the CAA and has the potential to be one of the best ever from the CAA. The dude is sick. Hes a joy to watch but im gonna hate playing against him for 3 more years. The Tribe could be real good going forward.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #19
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Definitely a Valentine's heartbreaker for us VCU fans.

Chico you’re a GMU alum right? DC Tailgate are you a GMU fan too?

It should be a damn good rematch next weekend. You going Chico?
Im an alum from GMU and was there when Laranaga was hired and raised the program up from the ashes, but I was raised on VCU basketball. Grew up with a friend who's dad was an assisted coach and worked for VCU until he retired. Used to go to the Big South games as a kid, so got love for VCU.

Probably not gonna do the segal center game, but I always go to the CAA tourny, the semis and final.

He Gets Us
Old 02-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I never cared abotu VCU basketball until about 2002 - 2003 when Capel turned the program around. Im really looking foward this the tourney this year. The CAA seems a little weaker this year but the competion is pretty neck and neck. VCU, Mason, Drexel, Georgia State, and ODU all have a legit chance at winning it.

After VCU's win over Nothern Iowa i think if we win against Mason this weekend and go to the finals (maybe even the semi-finals) in the tournement we have a decent chance of getting an at large selection. Hopefully it doesnt come to that.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Anyone think UVA has a chance at an at large bid?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #22
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Anyone think UVA has a chance at an at large bid?
Yes. Especially if they make noise in the ACC tourney. They have 20 wins which, while not a guarantee, is helpful.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I never cared abotu VCU basketball until about 2002 - 2003 when Capel turned the program around. Im really looking foward this the tourney this year. The CAA seems a little weaker this year but the competion is pretty neck and neck. VCU, Mason, Drexel, Georgia State, and ODU all have a legit chance at winning it.

After VCU's win over Nothern Iowa i think if we win against Mason this weekend and go to the finals (maybe even the semi-finals) in the tournement we have a decent chance of getting an at large selection. Hopefully it doesnt come to that.
I dont think the CAA is weaker at the top. Mason, VCU and Drexel can play with anybody this year. They are extrememly good. ODU is not a strong, but still solid. The confenrence middle and bottom teams have been must worse, droping the RPI for the overall conference. William & Mary, James Madison, and Hofstra are all down, where last year they were strong.

If you watch Mason and VCU play right now, they easily pass the eye test of a top 50 teams in the country no doubt. Hell, 2 weeks ago VCU picked up a couple votes for the AP top 25.

I dont think its any question, UVA belongs in the tourny. Very solid team.

He Gets Us
Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I agree that Mason and VCU and maybe even Drexel and Georgia State are top 50 teams. I just think its going to be a little harder then last year for the CAA to get a at large selection. Their definitely not gonna get 2 at large bids this go around.

I dont think UVA is a very solid team, their bench is a serious weakness. Without Mike Scott they would suck, like last year. Im with Lotus in that i think they got a good chance if they make some noise in the ACC tournament, but i dont think that will happen. Beating VT last night definitely helped.

Last edited by mlmpetert; 02-22-2012 at 11:15 AM.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #25
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I was gonna say someting about giving props to Laranaga a couple days ago, i never thought he would do anything with Miami. Then i hear him on the radio this morning:

Jim Larranaga Calls For Fewer Mid-Major Bids In 2012 NCAA Tournament - Half Smokes - SB Nation DC

Meanwhile Maryland beats Miami last night
Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #26
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I ended up going to the VCU game at the last minute. It was definitely nice to watch Bradford Burgess’s last home game and he played awesome. I also sat next to an ex-VCU cheerleader the whole time (either the one in the middle or on the right, keeling down). It was cool hearing about her final 4 experience and she was a nice girl, a little annoying though.

Burgess straight up lit it up. It was a game you could only dream of as your last home game. Its been really sad for him because was viewed by many as a 1st round talent at the start of this year but has played pretty badly up until the last 3 weeks or so. He broke his ankle and tore a ligament back in June or July so perhaps that was part of the problem. Hes the only senior on the team (VCU is the 10th youngest team in the country so watch out next couple years) and without him we would be in a very tough spot. He set a lot of records this season and was one of the best Rams ever.

VCU's Bradford Burgess closing in on consecutive starts record - NCAA Basketball - Sporting News

With Burgess playing well we are a much better team and if VCU keeps playing the way they have over the last month or so we could make a run in the NCAA again…. If we get in.

I still think we need to make it to the CAA championship to get an at large but hopefully we can just win the CAA. VCU has a good chance of playing GMU in the semi-finals and im a little worried about them. We beat them down Saturday, but they were obviously distressed. They came out with a thug like attitude and tried to run out on the court during Burgess’ recognition for senior night and ended up committing 3 technicals, including a bad flagrant foul. If they can keep their composure and stay poised in the likely rematch Sunday, they’ll be dangerous.

Last edited by mlmpetert; 02-27-2012 at 02:15 PM.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #27
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Heels are putting it to Duke's ass right now up 24 points at the half. GO HEELS!
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #28
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Go heels baby!!!

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #29
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Hope none of you are Terp fans. The Heels putting it to them by 20 points with 2 mins left...lol
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #30
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Go heels baby!!!

I didnt have time to really watch any of the ACC, but with the Heels beating Duke then loosing to FL St. i wish i had. Sounds like it was a damn good tourney.