Rex always acts like he's surprised when he ****s up

Advertisements
Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #17
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
T-Williams said that Kory L got cheap shoted (is that a word?)
Yes. And did you hear Trent say that?
Old 10-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #18
diehard
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Yes. And did you hear Trent say that?
I tought that may have been the reason Williams was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct (fighting) on that play. They didn't show an footage of the penalty.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #19
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I'm adding Mike Shanahan. I'm trying to figure out exactly why he's here, exactly. To rebuild our defense (which had a ton of talent when he took over)? Not likely. To rebuild our offense? I think that's a goal. To get the franchise back on the right track? Sure, someday. To show everyone how much of a genius he is and to give a big middle finger to the struggling Denver Broncos? Now we're talking.

So here we are in year two and we're not very good, despite claims made by the head coach that he'll stake his reputation to THIS offense. Well, it may be time to call a spade a spade. Mike Shanahan is not an offensive genius. He has not fixed our issues. He may still have a couple tricks up his sleeve. But if he wins more than six games this year, it likely will not be because he fixed the issues. It will likely be because he's a good enough game coach to dominate a weak schedule. And if that's the upside here, then we didn't make a good hire.

I still think things can turn around on offense. I'm just not convinced (and to be fair, never was convinced) that it is happening as we speak. We're not building a great offense. We're just out there trying to produce with what is there.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #20
over the mountain
Playmaker

i guess im in the minut minority that doesnt mind kyles play calling. i actually kinda like it.

i think rex and/or beck handicap any chance kyle has to run his system the way he wants to and they way it should be.

its like JC, when you have a qb who is limited you cant open up the entire playbook, things just dont run as smoothly as they should. as a playcaller you end up trying to tailor your scheme around an ill-fitting qb.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #21
Bucket
Playmaker

I think Gtripp has had a lot of crow today. lol

We are 3-2 and in the NFL if you are on the top of the division it's better then being at the bottom. A lot of football to be played yet, and besides the QB play, I haven't enjoyed watching a Redskin defense or offense play since 2005
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #22
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

MS-Time management. How can you get a delay of game when lining up for a crucial FG? That falls on Daddy Shanny.

Refs-Not saying we would've won the game, but the refs missed several holding calls on Philly's OL.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #23
over the mountain
Playmaker

hooskin - on that delay of game on what would have been an attempted FG we had a line guy running late onto the field. billick and the other announcer mentioned that the injuries to lich and trent also created backups having to step in for SP. im guessin it was lichs replacement who was real late.

def disappointing and frustrating
Old 10-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #24
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
hooskin - on that delay of game on what would have been an attempted FG we had a line guy running late onto the field. billick and the other announcer mentioned that the injuries to lich and trent also created backups having to step in for SP. im guessin it was lichs replacement who was real late.

def disappointing and frustrating
Then that's on Danny Smith and by extension Shanny.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #25
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Then that's on Danny Smith and by extension Shanny.
Exactly. Danny Smith should have been on the backups to ensure the delay of game doesn't happen. Additionally Shanny needs to make sure that happens as Smith is a part of his coaching staff. Ultimately the buck stops there.

Coaches get paid the big bucks to do the little things. Not earning it right now.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #26
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Sorry for the delay here, I was running some errands and dealing with some work emergencies.

With the latter in mind, I first want to say RIP Dan Wheldon. Great driver, better person. Redskins lost a game in the field of competition, he unfortunately lost his life Dan Wheldon dies following IndyCar crash at Vegas - ESPN

On to the smack:

The 1st Half Defense: Couldn't believe it when Landry said after the game that they basically came out in the first half without any sense of purpose. Couldn't believe it because it showed. I know, I know Rex's interceptions tired them out early. That's total bull. The defense played sloppy the first half, missing tackles, completely whiffing when trying to jam a receiver (c'mon Barnes!), not diving after tipped balls. Seemed like Rocky was just standing there on the Celek tipped catch. And a makeshift OL for the Eagles, and we got almost zero pressure. I'll give them a stud for turning things around, but early on they looked ugly

Fred Davis Yeah I know I'm calling giving the smack down to another of today's Studs. We are very fortunate to have FD in our lineup and he has made some great plays all season long. But there were multiple times, not the least of which was the first Rex interception where he made little to no attempt on the ball. He wasn't the only receiver to do so, though. Still, he's got to be more aggressive sometimes.

Whoever Decides To Keep Sitting Terrence Austin Let the man play!

Rex Grossman I know this is the one you're all waiting for. I still maintain that the first interception was not a bad decision. Three things I thought were likely to happen 1.) FD catches it at the 2 (possibly goes in for a TD) and the crowd goes wild and early on we've got the momentum 2) It falls incomplete and we punt or 3) Ball is intercepted but we pin them deep in their own territory. I didn't expect FD to not make a play and TW to get a penalty. After that, it was pretty much all downhill for Rex. I said at the time, and I'll say again, that throw to Cooley (which at the time I didn't know was about to knock him out for the next month or so) was terrible. He hung his receiver out to dry on a critical 3rd down. He did the same later, I believe with Helu. I like Rex, from a "dealing with the media" perspective, you'd be hard pressed to find a more accommodating guy, but Redskins fans aren't looking for that. The other three interceptions, I'd have to go back and watch them again, but from what I saw it was all on Rex. All on him trying to make a play. And why was he trying to make a play? Because of....

Kyle Shanahan I knew he wasn't going to run just because it was the Eagles, because KS doesn't prepare his game plan based on the opponent's known weaknesses. Never has, never will. And I don't really have a problem with that. I do have a problem with not taking advantage of two solid backs in Torain and Helu. I do have a problem with ignoring one of football's basic tenents "When you're trying to get your new offensive line to gel, run the ball and let them get into their groove" I commend Locklear, Cook, and the rest of that makeshift line for the work they did today. Kyle didn't put them in a good spot. And I do have a problem with him trying to make Rex more than he is. If we were even tied at the half, I'm fully confident we win. But we put on Rex's shoulders, at home where you had to know he was going to get booed mercilessly, and that just isn't the right game plan. Sidenote: You just know that if Rex had that fumble Beck had, it would have gone back for 6. By the way, I thought Beck was fine but I still think he sells the play action horribly

Well, I'm sure there's plenty more. But as I said earlier this week, my concern is not losing this game so much as it's hoping this doesn't turn things in a negative direction for us. It's one game. Let's see what these guys are made of. Yes it was a big game, but 3-2 is better than 2-4. I'll have to see to it though that we don't schedule Philly after a bye anymore.
THe first one wasn't his fault??? It was 3rd down around the 40 or 38 yard line. It was 3rd and real long. A simple short pass or draw play gets a few yards and puts Gano in FG range. Take the attempt at 3. Instead dumb ass Kyle Shanahan calls a deep passs and dumb ass Grossman throws it into double coverage. Gotta know your field position there as well as your talent. Grossman goes to the bench and I hope Kyle gets benched as the playcaller.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #27
over the mountain
Playmaker

doc walker mentioned something that really struck me.

for the past 2 weeks beck didnt take one snap in practice. for 2 weeks. he also said considering the fact that rex wasnt paying well leading into the bye and both qbs are about even . .why wouldnt you give beck atleast some snaps? then MS calls on him to win the game? just leave rex in at that point. figure hes got the ints out of his system . . rex' arm is below avg to me but beck might have they worst arm strength of any qb whose taken a snap this year in the entire league.

man, if we cant run the ball we are screwed . .which is what shanny said after the boys loss. . . .those injuries killed us, its like we totally abandoned our game plan before the 1st quarter even ended
Old 10-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #28
Meks
Pro Bowl

Kyle blew dog balls. alot more but too tired from the trip to DC and.back... and EVERY TIME A.TV TIMEOUT WAS CALLED... THE.CROWD.DIED AMD.THE.EAGLES PLOTTED.A BIG PLAYNTHAT TUENED UP SUCCESSFUL ... I got the section into it but too little too late... headache. sleep. get ready for can newtown vs John Beck
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #29
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Since we lost it will be overanalyzed to death but I'm just going to go with the Shannies and Rex.

Mike Shanahan for not pulling Grossman fast enough. I swear every time I see Grossman talk he always talks about how confident he is, and how he never second guesses any decision he makes. Which is annoying because he always has like 2 boneheaded interceptions every game. So in my mind it's like he's not learning jack shit from his past mistakes, which is frustrating.

Kyle Shanahan for his playcalling. Come on man, they can't stop the run. So you decide to pass all day on them when we're down by a couple touchdowns? You can't abandon the run, and I feel like Kyle S. is one of those guys who passes to set up the run. And I also feel like they have 2 run plays in the entire playbook; off tackle to the left or off tackle to the right. Be creative in the run game, it's like SS said, when you shuffle the entire left side of the line around, let them build up their confidence through run blocking because you know that's what they want to do.

And do I even need to go on Rex? Everybody knows what it is. He's peaked, and his peak isn't very good. I used to feel like he made almost as many plays as the bad plays he caused, but it's obvious lately his negatives far outweigh his positives. Lets just hope Beck isn't that bad, otherwise it's going to be another long season.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #30
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Kyle passes to set up the pass.