Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

NBA Playoffs anyone?

Other Sports

Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #16
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Re: NBA Playoffs anyone?

The only similarity I see between the 2 teams is a bunch of championships. The yankees have essentially tried to buy championships the last 2 decades whereas the payroll of the Lakers is right on par with almost every other team still in the playoffs except the Jazz.

Advertisements
Old 05-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #17
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
The only similarity I see between the 2 teams is a bunch of championships. The yankees have essentially tried to buy championships the last 2 decades whereas the payroll of the Lakers is right on par with almost every other team still in the playoffs except the Jazz.

I don't know what to tell maybe growing up in Boston jaded me but most folks I know hate the Lakers. It doesn't help that Kobe is the biggest d-bag ever.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #18
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I don't know what to tell maybe growing up in Boston jaded me but most folks I know hate the Lakers. It doesn't help that Kobe is the biggest d-bag ever.
It's actually pretty funny, when I was a kid I loved both the Lakers and Celtics when it was Magic vs Bird, but once Bird retired I stuck with Magic and the Lakers even when we sucked at times. I love Kobe the player, but I would have to agree that he is a giant d-bag as a person, but I don't think I'd have him in my top 5 d-bags in sports.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Count me in. Go Celtics.

Great win to stay alive today. Great performance by Rondo. If he learns how to shoot consistently, he will be the best PG in the NBA.

Couple of other random thoughts:
- NBA officiating is horrendous. Watching the game reminded me so much of the Jordan era where he could walk up to someone, hit them in the head with a tire iron, and no foul call....yet don't brush up against his jersey or invade his personal space and there goes the whistle. Really bad today, a lot of phantom calls for the Cavs.
- Jackson and Van Gundy are a good announcing team.
- Did I say I hate the Lakers.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #20
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Count me in. Go Celtics.

Great win to stay alive today. Great performance by Rondo. If he learns how to shoot consistently, he will be the best PG in the NBA.

- NBA officiating is horrendous. Watching the game reminded me so much of the Jordan era where he could walk up to someone, hit them in the head with a tire iron, and no foul call....yet don't brush up against his jersey or invade his personal space and there goes the whistle. Really bad today, a lot of phantom calls for the Cavs.
I'm not a big fan of the Celtics but I would rather see them win than Lebron James. If Lebron has a good game they blow him and if he has a bad game it must be his ailing elbow. I cant stand him or the random's that are put together to play with him.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #21
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

I'd love to see Phoenix go all of the way so that Grant Hill could get a ring, really like the way Nash is playing too, not that that's uncommon for him.

Celts and Magic also have Dukies, of course so does the Jazz but they're not advancing.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #22
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Count me in. Go Celtics.

It is a complete joke so much that when the Celtics won back in 08, I was kind of like happy that a WWE superstar won, I wasn't postive if it wasn't staged.

I love Rondo probaly my favorite Celtic after Pierce.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #23
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Orlando does not look like they'll be stopped.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #24
Rainy Parade
Special Teams

i like Lebron, but understand the comments about officiating....
dont like the Celtics but glad Garnett got his ring.

would like to see the Suns beat LA for sure. hoping for a Cavs-Suns finals, i'd be okay with either team winning it all.

oh, and Thomas the Trash Guy who collects trash from our office... he's always coming out with this obvious stuff that he says with some out-on-a-limb prediction tone... today he said "i think Orlando is gonna sweep atlanta!"
really Thomas? y'think?

wait, is the sun gonna set?
Rainy Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #25
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

are they still going on? is the NHL's? dang I miss football.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #26
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Big-time LeBron choke last night in their 32-point loss to Boston.

3/14 shooting, as many turnovers as made shots. UGLY. Injured or not, it didn't look like he was even trying and he had zero leadership qualities on display.

Anyone else think tanking this series might make the chance that he leaves Cleveland even greater? I do. They picked up some great complimentary players in trades and FA this year...Shaq, Jamison, Moon, Telfair...still fell short. This might make it tempting to try somewhere else for James, even though he's from Ohio. He has a personal goal of being the greatest ever and playing in Cleveland will likely limit him from achieving it, because to be in consideration with the greatest players ever, he's going to need to win a lot of rings. Yes, MJ won them later in his career, but he was also a better all-around player in total.

No, there will never be another MJ...not even LeBron.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #27
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Big-time LeBron choke last night in their 32-point loss to Boston.

3/14 shooting, as many turnovers as made shots. UGLY. Injured or not, it didn't look like he was even trying and he had zero leadership qualities on display.

Anyone else think tanking this series might make the chance that he leaves Cleveland even greater? I do. They picked up some great complimentary players in trades and FA this year...Shaq, Jamison, Moon, Telfair...still fell short. This might make it tempting to try somewhere else for James, even though he's from Ohio. He has a personal goal of being the greatest ever and playing in Cleveland will likely limit him from achieving it, because to be in consideration with the greatest players ever, he's going to need to win a lot of rings. Yes, MJ won them later in his career, but he was also a better all-around player in total.

No, there will never be another MJ...not even LeBron.

Go CELTICS, they've got their foot on the Cavs neck, now just crush it, blow them out in Game 6.

I think physically LeBron is better than Jordan, and not just the physical size. He has better range than Jordan at similar points in their careers. LeBron just doesn't have the killer instinct Jordan had. Jordan was obsessive about winning/competition, I don't see that in LeBron.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #28
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Go CELTICS, they've got their foot on the Cavs neck, now just crush it, blow them out in Game 6.

I think physically LeBron is better than Jordan, and not just the physical size. He has better range than Jordan at similar points in their careers. LeBron just doesn't have the killer instinct Jordan had. Jordan was obsessive about winning/competition, I don't see that in LeBron.

I am excited for the Celtics as well but I just know deep down they will find a way to lose and break my heart.

I have more faith in the Bruins actually making a run at it then the Celtics this year. Speaking of we need a win bad tonight I don't want to see a game seven.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #29
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
I am excited for the Celtics as well but I just know deep down they will find a way to lose and break my heart.

I have more faith in the Bruins actually making a run at it then the Celtics this year. Speaking of we need a win bad tonight I don't want to see a game seven.
I don't normally follow hockey, but I've been keeping an ear posted each morning for the Bruins. If they close out this series, I'll start watching.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #30
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I don't normally follow hockey, but I've been keeping an ear posted each morning for the Bruins. If they close out this series, I'll start watching.

Well thanks to Versus and the NHL it is difficult to follow any out of town hockey even during the playoffs!