Portis put on IR, done for '09

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #16
Nomad

Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Why in the world would he?
for the better meant of his team...... Shit, we stood by him, through thick and thin and so did the FO, he can shave some money off to bring in two or three studs... one from FA, the other two from the draft, i'm thinking we can trade and get two first rounders......
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #17
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I just listened to the radio link.

Portis sounds an awful lot like his career is in jeopardy...i've never heard him sound this down...even after 2006 and his other injuries. He said "if it's my time, i've had a great career".

He didn't get a good report out of Pittsburgh. He made a reference to the concussion affecting his vision. He said playing again was not worth risking his health.

Portis has to think about his future seriously. He's been on injured reserve now twice in 4 seasons.

I had alot of respect for him until last season when he started trashing everybody. This year didn't do him any favors.....

Look's like Riggo's record is safe....
Old 12-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #18
djnemo65
Playmaker

I honestly don't remember a concussion this serious. Sounds pretty scary.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #19
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I just listened to the radio link.

Portis sounds an awful lot like his career is in jeopardy...i've never heard him sound this down...even after 2006 and his other injuries. He said "if it's my time, i've had a great career".

He didn't get a good report out of Pittsburgh. He made a reference to the concussion affecting his vision. He said playing again was not worth risking his health.

Portis has to think about his future seriously. He's been on injured reserve now twice in 4 seasons.

I had alot of respect for him until last season when he started trashing everybody. This year didn't do him any favors.....

Look's like Riggo's record is safe....
Who did he trash ?

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #20
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkFan4Life View Post
Who did he trash ?
He trashed the coach last year. He trashed Sellers this year and I'm pretty sure thats when many of his teammates "soured" on him. Snyder has a new pet in Haynesworth (whom he evidently talks to on a weekly basis), so Portis has even outlived his usefulness there. Hopefully, it'll be the new coaches decision on what to do with Portis, but as far as i'm concerned, he's excess baggage.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
No big surprise here at all. To have lingering effects weeks after it happened is pretty serious.

Man, what a crazy year it's been. Like it or not we're going to be facing some significant roster turnover next year due to all of these serious injuries. Our hand has been forced, but maybe that's a good thing. We've got too many bloated contracts with guys on the back end of their careers.
Who could have guessed in August that, by December, maybe we would see both Portis and Samuels play their last games in the b&g?
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #22
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

I don't know if it was a concussion or lack of heart that put him on IR
Old 12-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #23
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I think he's, uh, you know, doing fine, you know. It's just a mental thing, that, you know, he's got to feel better mentally, you know, I think. And, you know, it just takes a little bit of a time. So yeah once Portis gets over the uh, mental, uh aspect of it he'll be back on the field.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #24
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

It is crazy indeed. But see Samuels was nothing but a good guy to everybody, so when the injury happened to him it did pull on your heartstrings...especially to think that he may have played his final game in a skins jersey.

Portis is the exact opposite. He was a guy who had all the fan support, and support of players but in the end, his attitude cost him fans and the respect of team-mates. When he bad-mouthed Sellars behind his back, it backfired on him. At one point this year pretty much the only person who had his back in the locker-room was Santana Moss.

His act was wearing real thin on people. Not practicing, etc. Nobody deserves an injury like this, but i just dont think people feel as bad for Portis partly because of the way he carried himself.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #25
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
I don't know if it was a concussion or lack of heart that put him on IR

Clinton Portis is a diva and not the kind of peronality that plays well with others in a locker room on a losing team. His sense of entitlement would be just fine if the Skins were 10-2 and he was missing practice two days a week but still gaining 100 yards per game on the ground. Problem is the only part of that which is actually happening is the part about him not practicing...

HOWEVER, no one should question Portis' heart or his toughness.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #26
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
It is crazy indeed. But see Samuels was nothing but a good guy to everybody, so when the injury happened to him it did pull on your heartstrings...especially to think that he may have played his final game in a skins jersey.

Portis is the exact opposite. He was a guy who had all the fan support, and support of players but in the end, his attitude cost him fans and the respect of team-mates. When he bad-mouthed Sellars behind his back, it backfired on him. At one point this year pretty much the only person who had his back in the locker-room was Santana Moss.

His act was wearing real thin on people. Not practicing, etc. Nobody deserves an injury like this, but i just dont think people feel as bad for Portis partly because of the way he carried himself.
You must have an inside track to the skins locker room.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #27
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
He trashed the coach last year. He trashed Sellers this year and I'm pretty sure thats when many of his teammates "soured" on him. Snyder has a new pet in Haynesworth (whom he evidently talks to on a weekly basis), so Portis has even outlived his usefulness there. Hopefully, it'll be the new coaches decision on what to do with Portis, but as far as i'm concerned, he's excess baggage.
So he bashed Zorn for horrible playcalling something that I think that we can all agree that he was right about.

He trashed Sellers for not blocking well which was proven to be right.

Which teammates "soured" on him ?

I'm asking because for a guy who almost gave you 1,500 yards last year he is expendable. Or is it because he was a Snyder guy ? Which is what I think it really breaks down to because of your Haynesworth comment. Sometimes you guys really amaze me, the man had 1,480+ last year. Seriousy ? Wow, and I can get bashed for pointing out Jasons flaws. This is not a Jason thread I have plenty to bash him on just making a point.

So if another player bashed another player/players would he be a bad guy ?

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #28
davy
Impact Rookie

Good riddance, I hope he never plays for us again.

Most overrated Redskin of the last decade.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Portis gave us several good years. More than most other running backs we've had here. He played hard on Sundays, gave us all some light-heartedness with his costumes, took it upon himself to call every player when Taylor died (and I think if I recall correctly he had just lost a child during that same time-or something along those lines). I'm glad he's been a Redskin though I think it's time to move forward without him, I'm not saying good riddance.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #30
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
Good riddance, I hope he never plays for us again.

Most overrated Redskin of the last decade.
yeah guys that run for over 1300 yards a season on a regular basis, and averages over 4 yards a carry sound really overrated to me,

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote