Chris Cooley: Lewis never talks to Campbell

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #16
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Chris Cooley: Lewis never talks to Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I honestly wonder at this point, with the season lost, is Lewis at all curious if Todd Collins could run his offense better.

Now i know the argument that you can't start a 38 year old QB with no future, believe me we have been there and done that. BUT...with seemingly nothing to lose, why not see if anybody can put more points on the board.

I remember early when Lewis was hired, the story floating around PFT, mentioned on several radio news outlets, and even our own Washington Post was that Lewis preferred Collins as the QB.

I truly do wonder what the record would be like had TC15 started from day 1, and Ladell Betts be the feature back. I'll go on a limb and say we are at least 5-6 right now, but truthfully we would probably be 6-5 or 7-4....

The fact that Lewis doesnt talk to Campbell at all is a very telling fact that should not be ignored....
All game long against the Eagles, Campbell was making plays that Collins and many other QBs could not make. He made deep throws while on the move, he escaped sacks, he ran for first downs...he's a far better QB than Collins. It's tough to tell because the line is getting him killed, but Collins has no mobility and does not have the arm for deep throws or just hard throws like Campbell was making.

If we had Collins playing, well, he'd be in the hospital but until that point, we'd be scoring far less than 17 most games.

He's more of an emergency QB than a backup at this point in his career.

Advertisements
Old 12-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #17
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
If - - I Said IF - - Cooley is right and this is the way the offensive braintrust of the Redskins is functioning, then whoever put the system together and whoever has allowed it to get to this status needs to be drawn and quartered.

A "team" works because people work together. Coaches should not be allowed to "do their own thing" any more than players should be ecnouraged to "freelance".

I suspect that not a single Super Bowl winning team ever functioned in a structure like the one described by Chris Cooley. Vince Lombardi is shedding a tear right about now...
Well if he'd be shedding a tear then he'd be kind of an asshole for real. If the shit is working why would he be crying ? Because no one else does it this way ? I call bullshit on that one, because how do they do it in Baltimore ? Cam Cameron calls the runs and Al Saunders calls the passes right ? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought thats how it was there. Sort of like he was a guy who wasn't an offensive or defensive coordinator but got the HC job. Also didn't hire "his guys" to fill his staff. But hey, when we did it that too, was unprecedented. Why should we bitch and moan about it ? IT IS WORKING !

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #18
saden1
MVP

If they ain't griping about one thing they're griping about another. Redskins are playing much better on offense under this structure...nuff said.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #19
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Instead of a carousel of crap like we have now, what is so wrong with Just letting Lewis directly call the plays? Put him on the sidelines and he can do the plays right there.

Although we seriously need to get past the point where Lewis says "Gimme a Run" to Sherman Smith...that's crazy. Why not let Zorn call the run plays and 3rd down etc....

This playcalling is producing more points for sure, but i think if we made it more efficient it would be even better....
Old 12-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #20
tootergray34
Impact Rookie

too many cheifs and not enough Indians will always....ALWAYS make some organization a losing one. simple as that.
tootergray34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #21
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Instead of a carousel of crap like we have now, what is so wrong with Just letting Lewis directly call the plays? Put him on the sidelines and he can do the plays right there.

Although we seriously need to get past the point where Lewis says "Gimme a Run" to Sherman Smith...that's crazy. Why not let Zorn call the run plays and 3rd down etc....

This playcalling is producing more points for sure, but i think if we made it more efficient it would be even better....
cause he'll just call a sweep, zorn shouldn't be calling plays ever, he always f's our two minute drills, he just isn't cut out to call plays

lewis has helped out but it's still not very good, the wco is just doesn't work for us hopefully we get rid of it next year

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #22
jadmanjeff
Camp Scrub

Quote:
I honestly wonder at this point, with the season lost, is Lewis at all curious if Todd Collins could run his offense better.

Now i know the argument that you can't start a 38 year old QB with no future, believe me we have been there and done that. BUT...with seemingly nothing to lose, why not see if anybody can put more points on the board.

I remember early when Lewis was hired, the story floating around PFT, mentioned on several radio news outlets, and even our own Washington Post was that Lewis preferred Collins as the QB.

I truly do wonder what the record would be like had TC15 started from day 1, and Ladell Betts be the feature back. I'll go on a limb and say we are at least 5-6 right now, but truthfully we would probably be 6-5 or 7-4....

The fact that Lewis doesnt talk to Campbell at all is a very telling fact that should not be ignored....

Todd Collins would be on IR! He is so immobile, he would be crippled for life with our o-line!
jadmanjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

i'm not going to get into an argument with anybody on a QB debate...but seriously....most people who made jokes about Collins playing obviously forgot how he saved our season in 07...when simple Jason took us to 5-7...
Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #24
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

Lewis clearly is being protected from the media, but who's choice is that, we don't know. My guess is he doesn't want the spotlight at this point and is simply helping out. Our offense has gone from being unable to score against the worst teams in the league to consistently putting up double digits, and we are complaining because of the system? geez. lets see what these guys can do, get them out there, and then let the new staff, whoever it is, clean up the FO/Staffing situation. Atleast I don't feel like I am watching a college team now when I do sit and watch the games.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #25
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Lewis clearly is being protected from the media, but who's choice is that, we don't know. My guess is he doesn't want the spotlight at this point and is simply helping out. Our offense has gone from being unable to score against the worst teams in the league to consistently putting up double digits, and we are complaining because of the system? geez. lets see what these guys can do, get them out there, and then let the new staff, whoever it is, clean up the FO/Staffing situation. Atleast I don't feel like I am watching a college team now when I do sit and watch the games.
we only scored 6 against dallas, and imo we just don't have the right personel for a wco, we drafted big wideouts who were big play guys in college, not smaller quick guys which fit a wco better

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #26
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
we only scored 6 against dallas, and imo we just don't have the right personel for a wco, we drafted big wideouts who were big play guys in college, not smaller quick guys which fit a wco better
Agreed. Campbell is not a WCO QB either. It goes beyond one thing or two or three. The organization is in a state of dysfunction and the play calling scheme is a creation of that dysfunction. If we had a real GM and given the talent we had here, based on that talent, woudl Zorn have been hired? Would a WCO oriented coach been hired? Doubtful.

Do I have hope? Yeah. I am holding out hope that things were so bad this year that Snyder would pull the trigger and make substantial changes, including his role.

What other choice is there? H ehas tried his way for ten years and has gotten the franchis eno where.

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #27
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
All game long against the Eagles, Campbell was making plays that Collins and many other QBs could not make. He made deep throws while on the move, he escaped sacks, he ran for first downs...he's a far better QB than Collins. It's tough to tell because the line is getting him killed, but Collins has no mobility and does not have the arm for deep throws or just hard throws like Campbell was making.

If we had Collins playing, well, he'd be in the hospital but until that point, we'd be scoring far less than 17 most games.

He's more of an emergency QB than a backup at this point in his career.
I agree but I don't think that Campbell threw anything farther than Collins could. What was the longest ball in the air?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #28
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:

The funny part is .. 3rd down and red zone situations are MORE important seemingly, so why would you let the guy who got playcalling taken away from him handle it in the big situations? He couldn't handle it even in the small ones.

Kind of like how Gibbs would take over in the red zone and just run all jumbo sets
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The main reason Zorn handles the 2-minute drill is because things have to be decided considerably faster during that time and the time it would take Lewis and Meidt to figure out the play, relay it down to the sidelines, and then to Campbell would have taken too long
Old 12-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #30
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
The main reason Zorn handles the 2-minute drill is because things have to be decided considerably faster during that time and the time it would take Lewis and Meidt to figure out the play, relay it down to the sidelines, and then to Campbell would have taken too long
logically I understand that, but Zorn's a slow playcaller. Didn't we run the no huddle last week outside the 2 minute mark. I would rather he not be involved in play calling at all...
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote