Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Sitting out an entire season

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-27-2004, 11:40 PM   #16
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

No, it was a college football game on Thanksgiving day between Penn and Cornell. Penn had this linebacker named Bednarik...

You may have heard of him because of his NFL career...

I was 5 years old at the time and froze my butt off that day because it was colder than a well digger's b*lls...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-27-2004, 11:43 PM   #17
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

that kinda sucks that there r so few courses of action to play in the nfl especially since that's the only way most of the guys coming out of college can make a living.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:43 PM   #18
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Awesome, Sports. When did you get into the skins?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:49 PM   #19
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

My wife moved to DC in 1969 because she had a job in this area. We spent a year "apart" and seeing each other on weekends because I was finishing up grad school. I moved here in 1970 and have been here ever since.

Obviously, I am a sports fan and if you live here and you are into NFL football, it is pretty obviousl where your interests and attention and focus will be.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:35 AM   #20
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Sports: I also moved to DC in 1969. (I was born three months earlier in NYC!) I agree: if you like football, and you're in the DC area, it's all skins. I have found that skins fans are very unlikely to switch alligiance when they move (but maybe this is true with most NFL teams). I've grown to like the Knicks, to tolerate the Rangers and Mets, but I can not stand the sight of giants or jets paraphenalia, much less the teams themselves.

Anyway, your expertise is much appreciated, even if you do tend to rain on our overly optimistic, pie-in-the-sky parade-like scenarios! Cheers.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:47 AM   #21
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

JWsleep:

Raining on parades is what curmudgeons do. I prefer to view it as a way for my generation to "keep it real".
Old 04-28-2004, 11:22 AM   #22
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
i agree and think he should be up there just as jim thorpe should be 2 with bo jackson and i agree that this discussion could never really have a definitive selection. i wasn't alive to fully appreciate what brown and thorpe did and that has something to do with my opinion of jackson being the top overall athlete. if anything he's the greatest athlete of my lifetime thus far.

I love Bo Jackson, he was definitly my favorite player growing up.I think I had everyone of his trading cards. I remember this one I had of him with Bart Simpson, cant recall why he was withhim but I always liked that one.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:24 PM   #23
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
Jim Brown is probably the best pure football player I ever saw play the game. And the first football game I ever saw was in 1948. In the NFL he averaged over 100 rushing yards per game FOR HIS CAREER. And that was done against defenses that often had 5 defensive linemen and two linebackers. the 4-3 defense was introduced after he got into the league and was not the prevalent defense until about the final two or three years of his career..
There is no question Jim Brown and Bo Jackson are two of the best of all time. I think you have to throw in Lawrence Taylor. He revolutionized the LB/DE position. Dick Butkus was no slouch either.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:57 PM   #24
manicd
Special Teams

Hey Sports, you've been following the game a long time. What do you make of the game today? Do you ever find yourself saying, "well, back in 19**, it was a lot better because". I find myself doing that with boxing. The sport in my mind sucks anymore. Just was curious to hear about the changes from somebody following the sport for so long.
manicd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:00 AM   #25
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

im only 22 but it seems to me that the most important thing used to be smarts, and playesr wernt any where near as athletic. Now it starts with how athletic you are, and then the elite playesr also have the smarts.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:20 AM   #26
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

There is no question that players today are bigger and faster and more athletic than ones from 20-40 years ago. Are they tougher? I doubt it. do they play the game as hard as players did 20-40 years ago? Not to my eyes.

Boxing has been a joke since about the Hearns/Hagler fight. Everything seemed to crash and burn after that.