Debating with the enemy

Old 12-02-2021, 08:49 PM   #271
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Supreme Court vacancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Not quite see my response.

I did. On the whole Europe is still better than Mississippi.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-02-2021, 08:51 PM   #272
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Supreme Court vacancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
How many guys here have had an abortion, asking for a friend.

Yeah i posted that at like 9 am. Yet here i am.

Completely off topic but is Rave the only female on this site? It would be really weird if one if you was a female and I just didn’t realize it. I have these ideas in my head about what you all look like, and act like outside this forum. Man there are some people that must think of some Jersey douchebag when they imagine me. LOL. That would be a good thread.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:04 PM   #273
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post

Completely off topic but is Rave the only female on this site? It would be really weird if one if you was a female and I just didn’t realize it. I have these ideas in my head about what you all look like, and act like outside this forum. Man there are some people that must think of some Jersey douchebag when they imagine me. LOL. That would be a good thread.
My enduring picture of you is a guy giving the finger to granny the cowboy fan. I am not even sure that's the right story but it's how I see you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:08 PM   #274
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
I did. On the whole Europe is still better than Mississippi.
Something we can agree on - they are better and if Mississippi's law isn't upheld they will return to being enormously better.

BTW speaking of half truths the Politifact is being extremely deceptive thru omission. Take this for example

" Reeves relied on one analysis, but that study made no allowances for broad exceptions in countries’ laws that could extend the cutoff point for a legal abortion well past the 15-week mark."

What Politifact fails to mention is that the longest extension they are alluding to takes it to 24 weeks (the UK) with most others ranging from 16-22 weeks. And again that is with extenuating circumstances. You know the ones that don't even begin to be considered in the US until 24 weeks.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:11 PM   #275
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
My enduring picture of you is a guy giving the finger to granny the cowboy fan. I am not even sure that's the right story but it's how I see you.

MY mind is blown. Today at work after one of your posts I completely thought about that. Its bizarre that you mention it tonight because it had to be ten years ago. It is exactly the story. I flipped off some person with a Cowboys sticker on their car - goin opposite directions sort of, wasn’t looking to rumble or anything it was just a spur of the moment, fuck that stupid star, flip off. Anyway last second i see it is some old lady. Felt terrible. Kind of. But yeah I remember you being like “wtf would you do that” haha.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:14 PM   #276
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
MY mind is blown. Today at work after one of your posts I completely thought about that. Its bizarre that you mention it tonight because it had to be ten years ago. It is exactly the story. I flipped off some person with a Cowboys sticker on their car - goin opposite directions sort of, wasn’t looking to rumble or anything it was just a spur of the moment, fuck that stupid star, flip off. Anyway last second i see it is some old lady. Felt terrible. Kind of. But yeah I remember you being like “wtf would you do that” haha.

Time frame wise, hard to believe how long I have known some of y'all.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #277
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

Time frame wise, hard to believe how long I have known some of y'all.

I still feel like the new dude and its been almost ten years. Right around the time I flipped that bitch off.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #278
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I still feel like the new dude and its been almost ten years. Right around the time I flipped that bitch off.
Tangential again, but in my new job I work side by side with a cowboys fan. We better not lose to them!

Old 12-03-2021, 05:49 AM   #279
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
That is a bit of a stretch. Mississippi's exceptions for medical emergency or "severe fetal abnormality" is similar to European exceptions or in other words about as "broad and liberal." Of the examples below I prefer the French policy.

Germany - permits late-term abortions in cases of rape or if the physical or psychological health of the mother is considered at risk of serious harm.
(vice any medical reason, even temporary, for the US).

France - Abortions in the second and third trimesters are permitted only if two physicians certify that it is necessary to save the life of the mother, to prevent grave and permanent harm to her health, or the child has a severe and incurable illness.

UK - permits abortion for socio-economic reasons up to 24 weeks, but up to birth if “there is a substantial risk that if the child were born it would suffer from such physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously handicapped.”

Netherlands - Abortions after 24 weeks are permitted in certain circumstances, such as when the unborn child has an untreatable “disorder” or is deemed likely to suffer after its birth.

https://lozierinstitute.org/chief-ju...an-mainstream/
Question - how many clinics does it country offer? More than 1 each I assume?

Asking because not only does Mississippi want to criminalize abortion after 15? weeks - IIRC they only have like one clinic in the state which I assume is packed 24/7 because 1 clinic for an entire state is nowhere near enough to serve the population.

You keep arguing about specifics or individual line-items but you're ignoring the big picture. The big picture is to restrict or fully criminalize all abortion so that woman are completely deterred from doing it.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:44 AM   #280
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Question - how many clinics does it country offer? More than 1 each I assume?

Asking because not only does Mississippi want to criminalize abortion after 15? weeks - IIRC they only have like one clinic in the state which I assume is packed 24/7 because 1 clinic for an entire state is nowhere near enough to serve the population.

You keep arguing about specifics or individual line-items but you're ignoring the big picture. The big picture is to restrict or fully criminalize all abortion so that woman are completely deterred from doing it.
Limited facilities is a different type of apple (both are apples). My main concern is what is actually legal. The legality of the late term abortions that verge on infanticide is repugnant. Several thousand viable and healthy fetus's are aborted in the United States every year because of the extreme policy position the US has on abortion - Mississippi's law addresses some of that. Heck even if the Supreme Court rules that states can regulate from conception there will still be other states that permit abortions of healthy viable fetus's up to the second they would have been due (ie Vermont).

The argument that it is relatively rare holds no water with me - it being legal to abort a fetus that if delivered can live on it's own is unconscionable.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:54 AM   #281
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Limited facilities is a different type of apple (both are apples). My main concern is what is actually legal. The legality of the late term abortions that verge on infanticide is repugnant. Several thousand viable and healthy fetus's are aborted in the United States every year because of the extreme policy position the US has on abortion - Mississippi's law addresses some of that. Heck even if the Supreme Court rules that states can regulate from conception there will still be other states that permit abortions of healthy viable fetus's up to the second they would have been due (ie Vermont).

The argument that it is relatively rare holds no water with me - it being legal to abort a fetus that if delivered can live on it's own is unconscionable.
^this this this.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:10 AM   #282
SunnySide
Playmaker

In general, infants that are born very early are not considered to be viable until after 24 weeks gestation. This means that if you give birth to an infant before they are 24 weeks old, their chance of surviving is usually less than 50 percent.

Some infants are born before 24 weeks gestation and do survive. But these infants have a very high chance of severe long-term health problems. About 40 percent of these preemies will suffer long-term health complications because they were born prematurely.

https://healthcare.utah.edu/womenshe...to-deliver.php

If we go by viable ... it appears to be roe v wades 24 weeks. There were 638,169 abortions in 2015, less than 1% were after 24 weeks. Thats 6,381 late abortions. How many of those were for life threatening medical reasons? How many 26 week pregnant moms were in horrific car accidents or injuries?

I hope there would be 0 elective abortions after 24 weeks. Id be curious to see the number.

------------------------------

Europe - never did a deep dive into their abortion laws but now I know and I was surprised. There is a push in France, Italy and some other s to reform the abortion cutoff and extend it from 12 to 14 weeks. Yes, 14 is still less than 15.
-------------------

Here’s one way of looking at the difference between abortion laws in Europe and those in the U.S.: in America, abortion laws are about morality, while in Europe, they reflect national ideas of what constitutes the common good. …

Paternalistic abortion laws are, perhaps, the flip side of generous government benefits: The government provides amply for the babies you do have, but in return it gets to quiz you about your reproductive choices.

Subsequently, while a lot of these nations have abortion laws that formally reflect Christian paternalism about reproduction and women’s roles, in practice, abortion is much easier to get than it is in the United States. You may have to provide a reason for your abortion in many nations, but it’s simply a formality, a box checked and not an obstacle. More importantly, the abortion providers aren’t being hounded out of existence and in many cases, the cost of the abortion is paid for by the state health care plan. Katha Pollitt recently elaborated in The Nation:

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...-religion.html

------------------

Russia and other countries with decreasing populations are placing more restrictions on abortion.

China wants to decrease population and has liberal abortion laws.
----------------

Israel - i read a quote yesterday that a woman's womb is the womb of Israel. Something like that.

---------------------

20 weeks is my line. I feel like that is when the cerebral cortex just starts to develop.

Interesting conversation, I certainly googled a lot

Last edited by SunnySide; 12-03-2021 at 10:27 AM.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #283
SunnySide
Playmaker

The New York law allows for women after 24 weeks of pregnancy to get an abortion if “there is an absence of fetal viability, or the abortion is necessary to protect the patient’s life or health.”

---

Seems the only time a woman can get an abortion after 24 weeks is if the fetus isnt viable or moms life or health is threatened.

Are there elective abortions after 24 weeks?

Seems not.

No one is aborting a viable fetus unless it medically necessary.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #284
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Something we can agree on - they are better and if Mississippi's law isn't upheld they will return to being enormously better.

BTW speaking of half truths the Politifact is being extremely deceptive thru omission. Take this for example

" Reeves relied on one analysis, but that study made no allowances for broad exceptions in countries’ laws that could extend the cutoff point for a legal abortion well past the 15-week mark."

What Politifact fails to mention is that the longest extension they are alluding to takes it to 24 weeks (the UK) with most others ranging from 16-22 weeks. And again that is with extenuating circumstances. You know the ones that don't even begin to be considered in the US until 24 weeks.
I'm sorry, what percentage of American abortions are performed in the third trimester due to non-medical reasons (i.e. the mother doesn't want the baby)?
Old 12-03-2021, 11:45 AM   #285
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:

This is my mental image of ya'll

Punch

Chico

Sunny

Cred

G1

Jamf

Matty

Nonniey

SD

Mooby

BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote