Parkland Shooting

Debating with the enemy

Old 06-02-2022, 12:51 AM   #256
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Parkland Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
The same people saying we need to do a better job with mental health are the same people cutting mental health funding and laughing at the idea of sending out mental health counselors with PD on specific calls.

I'd sure as hell rather face a mass shooter with a 9mm than an AR-15.

Honestly I don't even know why I bother. This whole fucking discussion is stupid as fuck. You and so many other conservatives are so hardline against doing anything to make AR-15's slightly less accessible to nutjobs with no criminal records - there's no point in having this discussion.

Let's start at the source! Mental health is so terrible in this country! We need to figure out why these assholes keep doing this! Oh btw - the Dems proposed a budget with too much mental health funding - and we don't want to lose the support of our voters by compromising on them with anything - so we gotta shut that shit down. Talk is cheap.

Let's arm teachers! Great - so when the cops arrive they see a guy with a gun shooting at another person with a gun! Do we hold teachers liable if a stray from them kills one of the kids they're trying to be protecting? Do they need another license to carry in schools in addition to a license to teach? What do we do when an armed teacher shoots one of their kids because they're absolutely sick and tired of their working conditions? Or they pull a gun on a parent because the parent is sick and tired of the public schools teaching BLM/CRT/LGBTQ+ agenda?

I know! Let's build schools with only one accessible door from the outside! Or hire veterans to stand guard at every school every day! Nevermind you aren't even willing to fund teachers enough so they get paid fairly or have enough supplies for all their students.

Ya'll are so quick to put up any idea that doesn't involve making a gun a little harder to get. You'll do anything! Except blame the poor gun for being so goddamn easy to get. It's such a bad faith argument. I'm out. Don't bother responding.
I wouldn't respond except you called me out - and it's all BS.

I am not against making AR-15s or any other guns less accessible, or harder to get. It's quite clear that not everyone should own one. I'm just not for banning them completely - which is what you guys want to do.

I'm not against funding teachers. My wife is a teacher. That's just an ignorant assumption.

The one thing you said that was true is that I'll do anything except blame the gun. That is a fact. Just like I won't blame the car for running people over, or the bat for bashing someone's head in. I'll blame the person who pulled the trigger, the person who was behind the wheel, and the person who was wielding the bat - a l l d a y l o n g.

Look, we have had guns in this country for a long damn time - and way more accessible to kids than they are today.

Why do you think kids are picking them up or seeking them out and using them more today than they were in previous years?
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-02-2022, 04:45 AM   #257
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
The same people saying we need to do a better job with mental health are the same people cutting mental health funding and laughing at the idea of sending out mental health counselors with PD on specific calls.

I'd sure as hell rather face a mass shooter with a 9mm than an AR-15.

Honestly I don't even know why I bother. This whole fucking discussion is stupid as fuck. You and so many other conservatives are so hardline against doing anything to make AR-15's slightly less accessible to nutjobs with no criminal records - there's no point in having this discussion.

Let's start at the source! Mental health is so terrible in this country! We need to figure out why these assholes keep doing this! Oh btw - the Dems proposed a budget with too much mental health funding - and we don't want to lose the support of our voters by compromising on them with anything - so we gotta shut that shit down. Talk is cheap.

Let's arm teachers! Great - so when the cops arrive they see a guy with a gun shooting at another person with a gun! Do we hold teachers liable if a stray from them kills one of the kids they're trying to be protecting? Do they need another license to carry in schools in addition to a license to teach? What do we do when an armed teacher shoots one of their kids because they're absolutely sick and tired of their working conditions? Or they pull a gun on a parent because the parent is sick and tired of the public schools teaching BLM/CRT/LGBTQ+ agenda?

I know! Let's build schools with only one accessible door from the outside! Or hire veterans to stand guard at every school every day! Nevermind you aren't even willing to fund teachers enough so they get paid fairly or have enough supplies for all their students.

Ya'll are so quick to put up any idea that doesn't involve making a gun a little harder to get. You'll do anything! Except blame the poor gun for being so goddamn easy to get. It's such a bad faith argument. I'm out. Don't bother responding.
Great Post! +1!
Old 06-02-2022, 08:32 AM   #258
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Do you really believe that if we completely took away AR 15s that these mentally ill individuals won't resort to some other form of violence, that they won't gravitate towards a different weapon of choice?

The sooner we can all agree that it's not the gun's fault, the sooner we'll be able to work towards a solution to put an end to the needless violent attacks on innocent people.
What do we have to lose by trying? Gun manufacturers make a little less money? People have to find another gun to hunt with? I guess I don't see the downside if it could potentially stop children from getting killed. Isn't that worth it?
Old 06-02-2022, 09:15 AM   #259
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
What do we have to lose by trying? Gun manufacturers make a little less money? People have to find another gun to hunt with? I guess I don't see the downside if it could potentially stop children from getting killed. Isn't that worth it?
I'm not against trying. I just disagree with that particular effort.

You say "people have to find another gun to hunt with?" But that is exactly what wackos will do too - find another gun to go shoot up a classroom or supermarket with, or resort to classroom bombs, supermarket pipe bombs, etc. In reality though, these assholes will still get their hands on AR-15s or whatever they want - illegally, because that's what criminals do. So now it's just the nefarious characters out there with AR-15s.

Oh, but it will make it harder for them to kill as many people.... BS. Where there's a will there's a way. You won't have less of these incidents until you (as Mooby said sarcastically) go to the source. Fix what it is that is making these jackoffs want to go out and kill people, establish measures to identify them before they do, make it harder or illegal for kids to buy a gun, have the most severe penalties for any gun-related offense (and actually follow through on them)...

Most everything is on the table for me, but I won't support a ban on a semi-automatic rifle. It's a cop-out, and it's a rabbit hole I'm not willing to start down.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:21 AM   #260
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

You say "people have to find another gun to hunt with?" But that is exactly what wackos will do too - find another gun to go shoot up a classroom or supermarket with, or resort to classroom bombs, supermarket pipe bombs, etc. In reality though, these assholes will still get their hands on AR-15s or whatever they want - illegally, because that's what criminals do. So now it's just the nefarious characters out there with AR-15s.

Oh, but it will make it harder for them to kill as many people.... BS. Where there's a will there's a way. You won't have less of these incidents until you (as Mooby said sarcastically) go to the source. Fix what it is that is making these jackoffs want to go out and kill people, establish measures to identify them before they do, make it harder or illegal for kids to buy a gun, have the most severe penalties for any gun-related offense (and actually follow through on them)...

Most everything is on the table for me, but I won't support a ban on a semi-automatic rifle. It's a cop-out, and it's a rabbit hole I'm not willing to start down.
And that is the attitude will keep anything worth while from getting done.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:31 AM   #261
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
And that is the attitude will keep anything worth while from getting done.
What attitude is that exactly?

The one where I'm willing to do pretty much everything except for take something away from law abiding citizens?

You're such a quack man. You offer zero substance to any conversation on here. You reply with generalizations and memes...+1 to other individual's well though out posts because you can't come up with your own...I'm not even sure why you are here at all.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:38 AM   #262
MTK
\m/

Quote:

Obviously just banning them isn't the answer, making them harder to get in the first place is the bigger part of it.

Most Americans agree on some common sense gun reform and we can't even get that.

How about we start somewhere vs tossing our hands up at every possible solution.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:49 AM   #263
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Obviously just banning them isn't the answer, making them harder to get in the first place is the bigger part of it.

Most Americans agree on some common sense gun reform and we can't even get that.

How about we start somewhere vs tossing our hands up at every possible solution.
I am on board with that.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:50 AM   #264
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
What attitude is that exactly?

The one where I'm willing to do pretty much everything except for take something away from law abiding citizens?

You're such a quack man. You offer zero substance to any conversation on here. You reply with generalizations and memes...+1 to other individual's well though out posts because you can't come up with your own...I'm not even sure why you are here at all.

HS, you get called out because you say you want to try anything and then throw out "BUT" this or that !The attitude of acting like you care but you really don't. God forbid you actually admit the second amendment is outdated and needs to be amended. You're one of the many that believe that a bunch of old white plantation owners could make the Constitution back in 1776 know what was going to happen in 2022. As for my own post's I have laid out what it is I want and I 'm not doing it for everyone who won't go back and read them. I have three Teachers in the family and I have said my peace over and over and yes I agree 100% with Mooby tough shit!
Old 06-02-2022, 09:51 AM   #265
MTK
\m/

Meanwhile another shooting last night at a hospital in Tulsa, don't worry our lawmakers have plenty of thoughts and prayers ready to go
Old 06-02-2022, 10:01 AM   #266
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

When folks are ready to make a commitment to charge and prosecute all illegal gun offenses, then talk to me about more guns laws

Until then, kick rocks

Also the unwillingness to protect schools it’s laughable. Surveyed teachers say the threats against them from students and parents is a growing problem. Combine this with what just happened in Texas…let’s secure our schools

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:07 AM   #267
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
HS, you get called out because you say you want to try anything and then throw out "BUT" this or that !The attitude of acting like you care but you really don't. God forbid you actually admit the second amendment is outdated and needs to be amended. You're one of the many that believe that a bunch of old white plantation owners could make the Constitution back in 1776 know what was going to happen in 2022. As for my own post's I have laid out what it is I want and I 'm not doing it for everyone who won't go back and read them. I have three Teachers in the family and I have said my peace over and over and yes I agree 100% with Mooby tough shit!
I never said I want to try "anything", which means "everything". You continue to have a difficult time comprehending what is posted on here. I am not sure how to help you.

Just because I won't support a ban on a semi-automatic rifle doesn't mean I don't care. There are other ways to attack this issue. We just have to all get on board with doing that.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:13 AM   #268
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
When folks are ready to make a commitment to charge and prosecute all illegal gun offenses, then talk to me about more guns laws

Until then, kick rocks

Also the unwillingness to protect schools it’s laughable. Surveyed teachers say the threats against them from students and parents is a growing problem. Combine this with what just happened in Texas…let’s secure our schools
Let's raise our kids to respect authority too while we're at it, and not make parents out to be the bad guys when they discipline their kids. It's a shame parents have to look over their shoulders before they put their kid in his/her place - for fear that someone is watching them and will report them. I'm not talking about child abuse either, there's obviously a line you can't cross as a parent, but I'm afraid that "timeouts" aren't as effective as a good 'ole spanking.

I told my mom to go to hell one time as a young know-it-all teenager...my dad slapped the shit out of me. I'll never forget it, and it never happened again.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:28 AM   #269
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

Until then, kick rocks

Part of securing schools would involve making it harder to get these weapons in the first place.

A seriously frustrating part of all this is anytime there's a shooting and people bring up gun reform, the other side responds with well it's too soon to talk about that, or we need to address mental health first, or let's enforce existing laws, etc. We can do all of the above, it doesn't have to be a this or that situation, but let's just do fucking something already.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #270
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I watch a lot of crime shows, and I typically like to read more about the people after the show is over. The people that commit these type murders or become serial killers seem to have the same things in common most of the time:

Abusive parents, uninvolved parents, mental health issues, social awkwardness, lack of friends, lack of social interaction, and often times being bullied because of those things.

Until we can punish parents that abuse their kids, take signs of possible mental health issues more seriously, promote social interaction (outside of the computer/game consoles), and get rid of bullying to the best extent possible, things like this will unfortunately continue to happen.

I don't have some magic solution, but we need to come up with something better than we have now.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote