2022 Midterms thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 11-15-2022, 07:32 AM   #241
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: 2022 Midterms thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
So when the election is over we don't have to wait and wait and wait. It's ridiculous. Send the ballots in earlier and start counting them once they are received. It shouldn't be that difficult to do.
These are the checks in place to ensure mail ballots are cou nted accurately and not part of fraud. While I would be okay if mail in ballotin g finished earlier I don't think it would negate the problem of timeliness. We still have issues with in person counting for various reasons and then there are legalities of denying people access to voting if they were planning to vote in person but in the last two weeks there is something that prevents them, (jury duty for example). I get it though it is annoying.

Advertisements
Old 11-15-2022, 08:29 AM   #242
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
These are the checks in place to ensure mail ballots are cou nted accurately and not part of fraud. While I would be okay if mail in ballotin g finished earlier I don't think it would negate the problem of timeliness. We still have issues with in person counting for various reasons and then there are legalities of denying people access to voting if they were planning to vote in person but in the last two weeks there is something that prevents them, (jury duty for example). I get it though it is annoying.
I'm not against the checks, in-fact I fully support them. But to me, that's all the more reason to send in your mail-in ballots early. I also think election "day" should be Saturday - Tuesday.

So for the mid-terms for 2022 as an example:

- Mail-in ballots need to be post-marked by 10/25/2022
- In person voting held 11/5/2022 - 11/8/2022

Even if you can't count all of the mail-in ballots prior to the election, you would still be able to know exactly how many you have and allocate your resources/structure how the votes will be counted once you are able to count them.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:13 AM   #243
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
So when the election is over we don't have to wait and wait and wait. It's ridiculous. Send the ballots in earlier and start counting them once they are received. It shouldn't be that difficult to do.
Since it's mostly seniors that vote early if one candidate takes a lead others might think why bother? Nope! Still believe election day should be a National Day off .
Old 11-15-2022, 02:22 PM   #244
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Since it's mostly seniors that vote early if one candidate takes a lead others might think why bother? Nope! Still believe election day should be a National Day off .
Florida begins counting early. They don't know the results until polls close on election day. Not sure what their process is just saying you can count early without people knowing what the results are (Imagine the machine has a system of counting but not showing the results until certain date time group).
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:23 PM   #245
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Florida begins counting early. They don't know the results until polls close on election day. Not sure what their process is just saying you can count early without people knowing what the results are (Imagine the machine has a system of counting but not showing the results until certain date time group).
Maryland they count early too.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:10 AM   #246
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

2022 Midterms thread

Quote:
I'm not against the checks, in-fact I fully support them. But to me, that's all the more reason to send in your mail-in ballots early. I also think election "day" should be Saturday - Tuesday.

So for the mid-terms for 2022 as an example:

- Mail-in ballots need to be post-marked by 10/25/2022
- In person voting held 11/5/2022 - 11/8/2022

Even if you can't count all of the mail-in ballots prior to the election, you would still be able to know exactly how many you have and allocate your resources/structure how the votes will be counted once you are able to count them.

What is the rush to know who wins the seats in November? Does it change anything? Serious question. If we knew a week ago the result of every seat would it matter other than for us to say haha we won?
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:15 AM   #247
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

2022 Midterms thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Recession yall!

I don’t want to hear any complaints.the democrat economic policies lead us to it. Nothing to do with anything else, no excuses…they have control

I love how simple you think the world economy is. Lol. Nothing to do with anything else. Hahaha.

This recession started in February of 2020. We don’t feel a recession when it starts. It doesn’t work that way. Not even for your talking points Chico. Do your homework before you post. The last 5 recessions all started under Republican administrations.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:26 AM   #248
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I love how simple you think the world economy is. Lol. Nothing to do with anything else. Hahaha.

This recession started in February of 2020. We don’t feel a recession when it starts. It doesn’t work that way. Not even for your talking points Chico. Do your homework before you post. The last 5 recessions all started under Republican administrations.
To quote Forrest Gump(almost), "simple is as simple does"!
Old 11-16-2022, 08:34 AM   #249
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Second, the national debt (adjusted for inflation) increased more rapidly under the past four Republican administrations — at an average annual rate of 10.2 percent during the Reagan administration, 8.2 percent and 5.9 percent during the two Bush administrations, and 6.8 percent during the Trump administration — compared with only 1.6 percent and 4.6 percent during the Clinton and Obama administrations, respectively.
If those four Republican administrations had been as fiscally responsible as their Democratic counterparts, the national debt would be about 70 percent lower than it is, increasing from 31 percent of gross national product in 1981 to 37 percent today — rather than the actual 123 percent for fiscal 2021. For Republicans to oppose raising the debt ceiling, and to frame this hostage-taking as a commitment to fiscal restraint, is the height of hypocrisy when their administrations have been in charge during most of the debt increase of the past 40 years.

Those are facts. But please go on about how Biden could have just waved his magic wand. Lol
Old 11-16-2022, 08:48 AM   #250
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
What is the rush to know who wins the seats in November? Does it change anything? Serious question. If we knew a week ago the result of every seat would it matter other than for us to say haha we won?
Call me old fashioned, but I come from a land where election day use to mean something.

Also, it definitely creates more doubt about the elections for lots of people. When it takes weeks to figure out, there will be more people that will think something fishy is going on than if results came in right away.

Why can't people send in their ballots 2 weeks before? Is 14 days a huge difference? The elections are every 2 years. I don't think it's asking too much for people that don't want to vote in person to request and send in their ballots 2 weeks early. If there was a deadline, people would meet that deadline if they really cared about voting.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:49 AM   #251
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
The Federal Reserve likely will need to push unemployment far higher than its 4.1 percent projection if it is to succeed in bringing inflation down to its 2 percent target by the end of 2024, suggests a paper discussed at the Brookings Papers on Economic Activity (BPEA) conference on September 8.

https://www.brookings.edu/bpea-artic...the-covid-era/

Dont worry .. Dems and Biden will get all the blame for this global covid inflation/recession and come 2024, just when the sun is starting to peak out ... an R president will take credit for inheriting a growing recovering economy.

Good thing grown ups are in charge for the 4 years when we need grown ups in charge to clean up this covid mess and not people who would just deflect and blame others.

America ... even those red hate filled states ... youre welcome.
The grownups who policy decisions lead us here which we can once again point too and clearly how we got here.

Democrats lead us to record inflation and then lied about it, fentanyl deaths, record energy prices, contributed to the Covid crisis with not having testing ready for the omicron wave, masked children for zero reason and kept businesses and schools shutdown….didn’t see the baby formula shortage, couldn’t stop Putin from European war, record illegals crossing, Afghanistan debacle where soldiers died.

The gaslighting ain’t gonna work…the excuse making when y’all were in charge ain’t gonna work.

The buck stops at the clown in the White House.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:51 AM   #252
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Second, the national debt (adjusted for inflation) increased more rapidly under the past four Republican administrations — at an average annual rate of 10.2 percent during the Reagan administration, 8.2 percent and 5.9 percent during the two Bush administrations, and 6.8 percent during the Trump administration — compared with only 1.6 percent and 4.6 percent during the Clinton and Obama administrations, respectively.
If those four Republican administrations had been as fiscally responsible as their Democratic counterparts, the national debt would be about 70 percent lower than it is, increasing from 31 percent of gross national product in 1981 to 37 percent today — rather than the actual 123 percent for fiscal 2021. For Republicans to oppose raising the debt ceiling, and to frame this hostage-taking as a commitment to fiscal restraint, is the height of hypocrisy when their administrations have been in charge during most of the debt increase of the past 40 years.

Those are facts. But please go on about how Biden could have just waved his magic wand. Lol
“Those are the facts”….lol.

The excuse making for this economy ain’t gonna work. It’s completely owned by this administration.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:52 AM   #253
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Call me old fashioned, but I come from a land where election day use to mean something.

Also, it definitely creates more doubt about the elections for lots of people. When it takes weeks to figure out, there will be more people that will think something fishy is going on than if results came in right away.

Why can't people send in their ballots 2 weeks before? Is 14 days a huge difference? The elections are every 2 years. I don't think it's asking too much for people that don't want to vote in person to request and send in their ballots 2 weeks early. If there was a deadline, people would meet that deadline if they really cared about voting.

Election day does mean something. But it is just symbolic. Every vote means something. Its a process that is all. Im not in favor of speeding up or changing the rules to appease conspiracy theorists though. If people think something fishy is going on it is because they are paranoid and or unhappy with the results they see. Oh well. It changes nothing if we know who holds every seat sooner. Other than, like you said, to appease the people who “think” something fishy is going on.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:55 AM   #254
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
It's more than annoying, it is damaging. The delays feed lies and conspiracy theories which undermine our democracy. There are best practices out there (from large states) that show the count can be completed on election day. Implement those practices.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #255
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
“Those are the facts”….lol.

The excuse making for this economy ain’t gonna work. It’s completely owned by this administration.

No. It is not. Everyone knew in February of 2020 a recession was possible because of Trumps handling of the economy for four years. There were rumblings of a recession well before that actually. But you and others ignored it because you and others think that our pocket books feel the economy in real time. They don’t. Republican administrations and their fiscal irresponsibility have started the last four recessions. Fact. Than Democratic administrations have to bail them out, and that is not simple to do. Im not going to go back and forth with you because you clearly do not understand how a recession works. It isn’t instant. It takes time for it to come back to us. People were saying this in 2018, 19, and 20. You refused to listen.