More “educated takes” I see
You're to stupid to see.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:12 PM   #2313
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: The Most Fresh & Cordial Political Thread Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
So got into it with a couple of co-workers over that 14 year old that beat that 9 year old. They want more punishment dished out than I think is appropriate. And of course one raised that the only reason little was done (I dispute this say we don't know all of what was done). What does the board think is appropriate? punishment?
My argument is that age matters (he is still only 14). One of the guys doesn't think age should ever matter (he agreed with example of a separate case of a DA pushing to prosecute an 8 year old as an adult).

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/s...-in-homestead/
I think we have to get out of the mind set of a worthy punishment. Obviously there should be consequences but to what end? Punishment for the sake of punishment just leads to recidivism. There is no current outcome we have in place where this kid comes out of it and has great odds of becoming a solid citizen. IMO we have to develop something that gives these kids an opportunity to learn how to function in a society.

There also needs to be school reform. This is a K-8 school? In what minds in Florida and Miami-Dade think it is appropriate for a 14 year old to be in the same school building as a 5 year old? From a developmental standpoint that is woefully inappropriate.

I don't think it is as easy as saying the adults on the bus should have prevented this. It is too easy for people not in education to think there are simple solutions. We had an incident up here where teens were smoking pot on the bus. The bus driver pulled over and went to back to stop the behavior. Meanwhile students up front opened the door and ran off. The parents of the students that ran off took legal actions against the bus driver for leaving the seat unattended to deal with the pot smokers. It would be great to have additional adults on buses but we don't even have enough bus drivers in the nation let alone people willing to be monitors.

We had an issue in Baltimore City where a group of students left the Edmondson high school campus to go to Popeyes for lunch. This is against school policy. One was fatally shot. People were saying how could the teachers let these students leave campus. What is a teacher supposed to do? You can't prevent a student from leaving. Add more police? They can't do anything. A student will say "fuck you" and walk right past them if a police officer told them to return to class. A police officer can't do anything if they aren't breaking the law. Suspend them? Sure. Then they are out on the streets unattended and we get the same issues. Hold the parents accountable? That only works if the parents have buy in.

I remember when this incident below happened. I was mad at Rikki Spector's response. Looking back at it while this seems intensive I imagine it will save the city dollars in the long run if this could be applied. Hiring people to be mentors and funneling money into counseling and skill development when a young person gets in trouble instead of a detention center and then eventually an adult prison will have a lower life time cost.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...218-story.html
Old 02-08-2023, 10:54 AM   #2314
MTK
\m/

Big points for Mitt Romney last night calling out that fraud Santos right to his face.

Romney tells Santos 'you don't belong here' in a tense State of the Union run-in
Old 02-08-2023, 02:37 PM   #2315
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...ocial-security

Biden introduced bill to sunset all federal programs — including Social Security

Forgetful Joe

Also we need to talk reform in SS and Medicare, it’s a legitimate issue. Or Gen Z rather raise there income tax to 25-30% to cover the Boomers who already were more wealthy than them at the sametime, and continuing forward? They seem less concern about SS/Medicare then taxes, so fuck’em let them carry the boomers and then Gen X with higher taxes

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:49 PM   #2316
MTK
\m/

We're really going to hold Biden to what he said in 1975? Oy

Nobody cares about SS or Medicare until they need them, then all of a sudden they realize how much those programs need to be expanded.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:15 PM   #2317
SunnySide
Playmaker

I care about SS. Been paying into it since I was 14 working at baskin robins.

I just assume there will be nothing for me in 20 or so years when Im eligible.

------------

Fair to say the unspoken (or maybe spoken) point of raising the age limit for SS .. is so people die off and dont get to collect on what they put in?

Sounds .. a little morbid.
Old 02-08-2023, 04:37 PM   #2318
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

------------

Fair to say the unspoken (or maybe spoken) point of raising the age limit for SS .. is so people die off and dont get to collect on what they put in?

People are living longer tho. From what I read, SS can be fixed easier. Medicare is gonna be the problem

Biden been advocating for cuts, reforms in SS up to the late 2000s

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 02-08-2023 at 04:55 PM.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:30 AM   #2319
MTK
\m/

Hilarious

Republicans held a hearing to prove Twitter’s bias against them. It backfired in spectacular fashion
Old 02-09-2023, 09:41 AM   #2320
MTK
\m/

Quote:

------------

No the point isn't to have people die off, the point is to cut benefits.

You can still file as early as age 62, but you take a reduced benefit the earlier you take it. Raising the retirement age is basically a cut in benefits since you have to wait longer to receive your full unreduced benefit, so if they raise the age from 67 to 70 for example you're taking a bigger cut if you file at age 62 as they are increasing the reduction factor.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:09 AM   #2321
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
People are living longer tho. From what I read, SS can be fixed easier. Medicare is gonna be the problem

Biden been advocating for cuts, reforms in SS up to the late 2000s
Covid changed that apparently. US has posted a decrease in life expectancy the past 2 years.

So we live longer .. so we work longer.

The finish line of the rat race keeps getting pushed farther and farther from us.

Capitalism really is a matrix social construct.

Im fine, I took the blue pill a long time ago. Let me enjoy my steak, cable tv, weed, beer, go home team sports! .. and Ill wake up everyday like a robot and get behind that wheel of my car and get in that commuter slug line.

260 days a year. Every year until my battery dies and I go face down on a keyboard in a non-corner office.

Old 02-09-2023, 10:17 AM   #2322
SunnySide
Playmaker

“I am aware of no unlawful collusion with, or direction from, any government agency or political campaign on how Twitter should have handled the Hunter Biden laptop situation,” James Baker, Twitter’s former deputy counsel, told the committee while under oath.

And Matt Taibbi, one of the journalists Musk handpicked last year to comb through Twitter’s internal messages for evidence of free speech violations, said himself that “there is no evidence — that I’ve seen — of any government involvement in the laptop story.”

---

Pretty straight forward
Old 02-09-2023, 10:28 AM   #2323
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I think we have to get out of the mind set of a worthy punishment. Obviously there should be consequences but to what end? Punishment for the sake of punishment just leads to recidivism. There is no current outcome we have in place where this kid comes out of it and has great odds of becoming a solid citizen. IMO we have to develop something that gives these kids an opportunity to learn how to function in a society.

There also needs to be school reform. This is a K-8 school? In what minds in Florida and Miami-Dade think it is appropriate for a 14 year old to be in the same school building as a 5 year old? From a developmental standpoint that is woefully inappropriate.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...218-story.html
My kid is at a school where you have elementary and middle school in same building, hallways etc

Juvenile Court is about counseling and helping .. there is no guilty finding, there is no punishment. I worked on Juvie cases as a clerk and the courts/staff go way out of their way to help but some kids are just unhelpable
Old 02-09-2023, 10:56 AM   #2324
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

------------

Many of you are younger and hear some of the BS about SS. (not a shot I swear!)
this is pretty good.

https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...explained.html

10 Social Security Myths That Refuse to Die
Old 02-09-2023, 11:11 AM   #2325
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Many of you are younger and hear some of the BS about SS. (not a shot I swear!)
this is pretty good.

https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...explained.html

10 Social Security Myths That Refuse to Die
Social Security does face funding challenges. For decades it collected more than it paid out, building a surplus that stood at $2.85 trillion at the end of 2021. But the system is starting to pay out more than it takes in, largely because the retiree population is growing faster than the working population, and living longer. Without changes in how Social Security is financed, the surplus is projected to run out in 2035, according to the latest annual report from the program's trustees.

Even then, Social Security won't be broke. It will still collect tax revenue and pay benefits. But it will only bring in enough to pay 80 percent of scheduled benefits, according to the latest estimate. To avoid that outcome, Congress would need to take steps to shore up Social Security's finances, as it did in 1983, the last time the program nearly depleted its reserves. The steps then included raising the full retirement age (see Myth #2), increasing the payroll tax rate and introducing an income tax on benefits (see Myth #8).

-------------

G .. how da fuq does that make me feel better?

2.85 TRILLION SURPLUS as of 2021 will be wiped out in 14 years?

Only pay 80% of its scheduled benefits?

If that shit is supposed to hit he fan in 2035 .. there wont be shit left over for me in the year 2049 when I (hopefully) turn 70.

Dang it .. its WORSE than I feared.

Am I reading this article wrong?