Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 01-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #211
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

re: Let's talk microbrews good beer

So I've lived in the same apartment in the same city for over 2 years now and somehow I just realized that a liquor store with the best beer selection I have ever seen is only about 5 miles away. It's called The Perfect Pour in Elkridge/Columbia and walking down the beer aisle made me feel like one of those kids in Willy Wonka when they first saw the river of chocolate.

Anyway, last week I picked up two types of Abita and I really loved both of them. My cousin went to law school in NO and has told me this beer was pretty good but this was the first time I actually tried it. The first one I had was Restoration Pale Ale, it's very crisp and hoppy but not overboard - I very highly recommend it. The other one I had is called Jackamo IPA and it was also very good. It's a strong IPA but it's not that bitter; I thought it was almost sweet. Both were very good IMO.

Right now I'm drinking Rogue Irish Lager and I'm also liking this one a lot. It's not hoppy at all, but kind of light and smooth. Its the type of beer I think I could drink all night.

Seriously, there's a good chance I'm at Perfect Pour every weekend for the foreseeable future!

Advertisements
Old 01-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #212
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Stone puts out some quality brews, I really like their Arrogant Bastard Ale

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co. - Escondido, CA - BeerAdvocate
I also got a bottle of this, Double Bastard Ale, that I'm going to crack open in a little bit after I finish these last few Abitas. Man, I think I'm going to be feeling it tomorrow!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #213
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
I also got a bottle of this, Double Bastard Ale, that I'm going to crack open in a little bit after I finish these last few Abitas. Man, I think I'm going to be feeling it tomorrow!!!
Double bastard sounds good, never seen it. officially on the list.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #214
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Anyway, last week I picked up two types of Abita and I really loved both of them. My cousin went to law school in NO and has told me this beer was pretty good but this was the first time I actually tried it. The first one I had was Restoration Pale Ale, it's very crisp and hoppy but not overboard - I very highly recommend it. The other one I had is called Jackamo IPA and it was also very good. It's a strong IPA but it's not that bitter; I thought it was almost sweet. Both were very good IMO.
I love Restoration
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #215
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

I mostly just drink Corona. I need to be taught.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #216
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

EQ - just head to your local beer store, pick something up and give it a whirl. If you're normally drinking Corona, give Landshark Lager a try. But if you go back over this thread, there are plenty of examples to give a try. At first, stick to the more mainstream beers (Guinness, Bass, Killians' Red, Yuengling, etc.) and then get adventurous. Check out BeerAdvocate - Respect Beer. and learn about beer and the different styles and start with ones that sound good to you.

Look at AMD. When I first met him, he was chugging Natty Light through a funnel. And now he's all growns up...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #217
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
EQ - just head to your local beer store, pick something up and give it a whirl. If you're normally drinking Corona, give Landshark Lager a try. But if you go back over this thread, there are plenty of examples to give a try. At first, stick to the more mainstream beers (Guinness, Bass, Killians' Red, Yuengling, etc.) and then get adventurous. Check out BeerAdvocate - Respect Beer. and learn about beer and the different styles and start with ones that sound good to you.

Look at AMD. When I first met him, he was chugging Natty Light through a funnel. And now he's all growns up...
It's funny because it's true!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #218
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:

Yuengling is good. I've had that but I am not a fan of Guiness for some reason. I know that will piss Matty off but I dont like Guiness. Then again I am probably the only black guy who hates watermellon.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #219
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Yuengling is good. I've had that but I am not a fan of Guiness for some reason. I know that will piss Matty off but I dont like Guiness. Then again I am probably the only black guy who hates watermellon.
BD list some great advice on aquiring a taste for real beer. Yuengling is a great starter beer. Im gonna suggest Blue Moon Belgian White. Along with really the obvious taste, which is more aquired as you drink it, the real difference is the "heaviness" of the beer. Where you drink a 12 pack of Natty and its "heaviness " or consistancy as i describe it is more like water, the style of good beers at first is gonna seem like eating a meal if you drink a sixer of something good. More filling. The taste will adjust naturally, like when everybody started drinking beer in early high school, the taste had to be aquired. Miller light tasted pretty nasty at first (still does) but the more you drink it, easier it became. So in suggesting Blue Moon Belgian White or Yuengling its a lighter tranistion. Drinking Guiness (which is a personal fav) and your not used to it, is like consuming a full course buffet, that sh*t is thick, super heavy. But that is the nature of the stout.

EQ, after you try a couple transitions, quickly move to the Sam Adams line...much better beer with a very wide selection of all styles. Sam Adams was break through in the mid 90s for me along with Seirra's PA.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #220
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Guinness is certainly an acquired taste. However, if you try it in a Black and (Tan, Blue, Red, etc., a mixture of half Guinness and half another beer, usually Bass or Smithwick's), it'll cut some of the heaviness of Guinness.

Chico makes mention of Blue Moon. Belgian Whites (for the most part) are quite palatable and are very easy to drink. Shock Top is Budweiser's version of Blue Moon and both are quite similar in taste. From there, check out Hoegaarden.

Beer is an adventure. Don't be afraid to branch out and try something different. Head to a local bar that has either many bottled beers or taps. It's a great cheap way to try different beers without committing to a 6 pack of something you might not like.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
Old 01-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #221
MTK
\m/

Blue Moon is actually good stuff, even if it's made by Coors.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #222
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Picked up a 6er of Sierra Nevada Glissade for the Super Bowl. Very good once I poured it into a glass (tried to drink the 1st one out of the bottle like an amateur...no offense to anyone), especially once it sat for a bit. Felt like the flavors melded together better once it sat in the glass. I'd buy it again, and certainly wouldn't mind trying it on tap.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #223
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I found these in a store in Chicago last week end.
Who new Missouri made good microbrew?
The Plowboy is a somewhat light but superior porter. It has a very complex rainbow of tastes with a nice dry finish.

The Headless Man is a sweet but very crisp amber ale that is somewhat highly carbonated but accents the crispness very well. I could drink a shipload of this on a hot summer day.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #224
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Picked up a 6er of Sierra Nevada Glissade for the Super Bowl. Very good once I poured it into a glass (tried to drink the 1st one out of the bottle like an amateur...no offense to anyone), especially once it sat for a bit. Felt like the flavors melded together better once it sat in the glass. I'd buy it again, and certainly wouldn't mind trying it on tap.
I have not seen the Glissade before.
I will definitely look for it.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #225
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Having a Famille Rue The Bruery™ TradeWinds Tripel

it's a "Belgian styled ale brewed with rice and thai basil"

the rice, vs using candy sugar is pretty refreshing, makes for a lighter easier-drinking tripel

I'm not used to trying many spiced tripels but I've had some coriander containing ones, I think that I prefer the thai basil honestly, if for nothing more than it's interesting

this would be very interesting to have around in the summer, unfortunately due to it being a seasonal that's likely the next time that I'll be able to enjoy it
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote