Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #211
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Redskins at Bears Post Game Thoughts

Tied Gould's own Bears franchise record of 57 yards, by the way.

Thing barely had the height of the crossbar the whole 57 yards.

Advertisements
Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #212
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Notes on defense:

The secondary is a huge liability, no doubt about it. Wilson is the only decent cover corner. Hall's risk/reward ratio is only positive if he creats at least one turnover every game.
My bigger concern is the front seven. Apart from Kerrigan this group looked weak yesterday. London's absence was unmistakable. Zoe isn't ready to play ILB during the regular season and Riley isn't consistent (yet).
But most importantly it's just not clear what the defense is trying to do. Is it a pressure based defense, or a stout front 7 that punishes the running game?
Someone said Haslett should be sacked. I would say if the FO doesn't see him as part of the picture beyond the Shanahan regime then there's no reason to keep Haslett.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #213
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
One could equally assert that he has done nothing right. Plus, I heard he grabbed the wrong clipboard while standing on the sideline, accidentally sat in the DL's spot on the bench and talked to the guy in the urinal next to him while taking a piss. What kind of leadership can you expect from a guy like that.
maybe he had a bluetooth in and wasnt actually talking to the guy next to him>? If thats the case I say start him!
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #214
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
You've exceeded your quota for smiley faces today.

Matty was correct. Did YOU watch that kick? It was ugly. I was shocked it went through. Gould is the man.

Oh and that dropped pass by Niles...it hit him right on both of his hands. That was not on Griffin in any way.
Correct. At the pro level if the ball hits a receiver in both hands he needs to make the catch. Paul's dropped a ton anyway there's no real defending his hands at this point, but hopefully he improves.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #215
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
A rookie QB will miss things and RGIII is no different. In one of his later series, on a 3rd down, he threw high downfield to a WR. It would have been a tough completion no matter what but RGIII was way off. The bigger thing on the play though is we had a TE, I think Davis, open enough across the flat for a 1st down. RGIII will see this on video and learn from it.
Really good post, agree on this point 100%, and it was Davis....WIDE OPEN. Just patience and trust in the play development, it will come. RG3 is a very bright guy, he'll get it.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #216
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

As you boys point out, Robert is bright....very bright. THAT and his motivation are undoubtedly his best attributes. Of the Rook mistakes he makes....He won't do it long. He'll improve....fast
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #217
Gtothearry
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsrk View Post
It'll be interesting if shanahan decides to start cousins in the next preseason game. After all its preseason, so there's no harm in preparing your second string qbs to take over in the event of rg3 getting injured midseason.
Shannahan isn't stupid. If he starts Cousins he opens the door for the BS hype for a qb controversy.
Gtothearry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #218
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Notes on defense:

The secondary is a huge liability, no doubt about it. Wilson is the only decent cover corner. Hall's risk/reward ratio is only positive if he creats at least one turnover every game.
My bigger concern is the front seven. Apart from Kerrigan this group looked weak yesterday. London's absence was unmistakable. Zoe isn't ready to play ILB during the regular season and Riley isn't consistent (yet).
But most importantly it's just not clear what the defense is trying to do. Is it a pressure based defense, or a stout front 7 that punishes the running game?
Someone said Haslett should be sacked. I would say if the FO doesn't see him as part of the picture beyond the Shanahan regime then there's no reason to keep Haslett.
I hope the Redskin defense isn't slacking off but I understand what you mean. I keep telling myself that it's just preseason and once the games count, the Redskins will get better defensively. The main problem is the secondary just like last season. Kerrigan, Fletcher, Riley, and Orakpo can certainly make plays as long as Carriker, Bowens, Cofield, and whoever else is on the D line find ways to constrict the opposing offensive line much like they did last season. If Cedric Griffin and Brandon Meriweather are not the answers in the defensive backfield, I would expect Jim Haslet and Raheem Morris to make changes. I'm looking forward to seeing Tanard Jackson play safety next Saturday vs. the Colts and lets hope that the rookie CB Crawford continues to shine. Crawford could be in line for the nickel back job if he continues to impress.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #219
30gut
Playmaker

OFFENSIVE LINE NOTEs:

Most of the mistakes and missed assignments came from the 3 TEs set.
The playing calling didn't account for the youth on the OL.
Adam Gettis showed well in the 1st preseason game but it doesn't make sense to have him out there without help.
And it showed he was getting pushed back in the running game and beat in the passing game.
While preseason is an evaluation its also time to prepare a rookie QB and putting him behind an OL that is struggling and not opening up holes doesn't teach him a lot. (except maybe to expect poor pass pro).
Imho they may as well start gameplanning for the players that are on the field right now because they're very likely gonna be the players we go into the season with.
A nit pick I have in the running game is appears that either the OL are in too much of hurry to get to the second level or their being taught that way.
But the end result is often an OL getting to the second level (not always making the block) but his neighbor losing at the point of attack on the LOS.
And if the POA is lost on the LOS it doesn't matter if the other lineman makes it to the second level while the play is being blown up in the backfield.
I don't mean to single out Gettis here, there were plent of OL screwing up (to include Trent Williams).
But, if Gettis is gonna be out there with the 1st unit he's gonna need some help through scheme/playaclling/blocking assignments.

Last edited by 30gut; 08-20-2012 at 05:48 PM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #220
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Once Lichtensteiger and Chester return the offensive line will be back to normal. Against a heavy strong defensive front like the Chicago Bears have, I would expect rookie linemen to struggle. Maurice Hurt played a decent game but right tackle is a concern. Mike Shanahan said in the offseason that Jammal Brown was going to have to prove that he could stay healthy in order to make the team. Well, he has proven once again that he can't stay healthy and the Redskins front office erred greatly in not pursuing a quality veteran right tackle in free agency.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #221
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Really good post, agree on this point 100%, and it was Davis....WIDE OPEN. Just patience and trust in the play development, it will come. RG3 is a very bright guy, he'll get it.
I'm not saying Griffin didn't make mistakes, he did.
But, I don't agree that Davis was 'wide open'.
I don't have the all 22 and from watching regular TV feed you can't see what Griffin saw before he threw the ball.
You only see how the defenses looks after the ball is halfway to Moss, by which time the defenders are gonna stop covering their previous assignments and follow the ball in flight.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #222
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Once Lichtensteiger and Chester return the offensive line will be back to normal. Against a heavy strong defensive front like the Chicago Bears have, I would expect rookie linemen to struggle. Maurice Hurt played a decent game but right tackle is a concern.
I don't have that same expectation.
Imo Chester isn't that good to begin with.
And I have to wonder whether two guys coming off injury (one old guy) are going to be better then the guys that have been practicing and playing in games together.

Imo Kory and Chris Chester have to play and look good against the Colts and get a little run against the Bucs to start against the Saints.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #223
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I'm not saying Griffin didn't make mistakes, he did.
But, I don't agree that Davis was 'wide open'.
I don't have the all 22 and from watching regular TV feed you can't see what Griffin saw before he threw the ball.
You only see how the defenses looks after the ball is halfway to Moss, by which time the defenders are gonna stop covering their previous assignments and follow the ball in flight.
I don't have all 22 either...yet.
You're 100% right, you can't see coverage downfield on that one and I couldn't see enough to even make an educated guess....but I sure saw a bunch of bodies there.
Possible he and the WR miscommunicated, he may have saw something in coverage that the WR missed or vice versa. But the TE progression was there, he just needed to be 1/2 sec more patient and trust his TE & OL.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #224
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Kory Lichtensteiger isn't expected to play until the season opener in New Orleans. You are probably right in your assessment of Chester. I thought he amounted to something simply because he was a free agent that Shanahan pursued that started a lot of games for us last season. Hopefully, all Gettis and LeRibeus needs is more and more practice time.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #225
MTK
\m/

Chester might not be all that, but I'd a lot feel better with him out there over Gettis at this point.