Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

All things Middle East related

Debating with the enemy

Old 07-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #211
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: All things Middle East related

i doubt there will be any kind of action taken, that's the friendliest nation towards the US over there, and there are strong military ties (not to dubai, but the UAE).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #212
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Yes, and this horrific tale from 2007 makes it seem far more frequent than Dubai authorities would like people to think:

15 year old French boy

There were, in fact, three Emirati men in the car, including a pair of former convicts ages 35 and 18, according to Alex. He says they drove him past his house and into a dark patch of desert, between a row of new villas and a power plant, took away his cellphone, threatened him with a knife and a club, and told him they would kill his family if he ever reported them.

Then they stripped off his pants and one by one sodomized him in the back seat of the car. They dumped Alex across from one of Dubai’s luxury hotel towers.

And quite a few more.
Also from the article:

Quote:
The authorities not only discouraged Alex from pressing charges, he, his family and French diplomats say; they raised the possibility of charging him with criminal homosexual activity, and neglected for weeks to inform him or his parents that one of his attackers had tested H.I.V. positive while in prison four years earlier.

Despite its shortfalls, the United Arab Emirates have combined Islamic values with the best practices from the West to create “the most modern legal system among the Arab countries,” said Salim Al Shaali, a former police officer and prosecutor who now practices criminal law.
Really? the "most modern legal system" in all of Arabia? Charging the victims with homosexuality and fornication?

1) To call such a system barbaric is an to insult barbarians. It doesn't even rise to the level of Hammurabi's Code (an eye for an eye) from ~1800 B.C. If this is the most modern system, I would hate to be under the jurisdiction of the others.

2) What cowardly laws. The laws of these cultures are designed, in essence, to protect "the honor" of Islamic men by denigrating others, to institutionalize unequal treatment under the guise of the Rule of Law (we are all equal under the law - it's just that some of us are more equal than others), and to "protect" men from themselves i.e. women are punished for dressing in a manner that "tempts" men; rape is only provable by confession or the eyewitness testimony of two other men (so - two guys are just standing by watching a rape? Seems like the more manly thing to do would be to stop the attack. Guess that's just me). Sorry, but "real" men don't need laws to punish folks for tempting them, they just control their base urges and move on. But then, I guess these women (and boys) are just asking for it.

3) All in all, the Islamic Code ultimately fails and leads to inequities b/c it attempts to legislate divine morality and not just any divine morality - the divine morality of a 7th century BC nomadic culture. By claiming the law to be divine, and denying its human invention, the inequities have become so entrenched as to be unassailble by logic or rationality.

(Yes, I know there are many areas of the Sharia that deal with non-religious issues. At the same time, the code is a unified thing - much like the laws of the US or the individual States. Even if not directly referencing legislated divine morality, that morality forms the context from which all the law is viewed).

Until they divorce themselves from the Sharia code, Islamic countries will continue to be backwaters of justice, hindering their own growth and rightfully held in contempt by all who accept the Rule of Law.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #213
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I just wish we could free ourselves from the Great Oil Dependency so that we could let these backwaters of civilization go their own way and extinguish themselves through their own shortsighted pride.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #214
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Also from the article:

Really? the "most modern legal system" in all of Arabia? Charging the victims with homosexuality and fornication?
One of your better posts, JR. wordy but wise, sir.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by RedskinRat; 07-23-2013 at 12:28 PM.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #215
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

not a good time to go see the pyramids, horrible whats going on over there. We shouldnt support this

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #216
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
Now Morsi is equally unliked, but removing him power could be seen a major step backwards for the revolution. After all, Morsi — as he is quick to point out — was democratically elected. If he can be forced out by violent protests or military order, then what kind of democracy does Egypt really have? The people want him gone, but are they willing to do so at the cost of giving power back to a military that can order a president around? The world now waits for his answer.

^^^i found this section of an article fairly enlightening.
'Democratically' elected, to be fair. If the MB weren't out bullying the rural voters he wouldn't have got in.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #217
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
not a good time to go see the pyramids, horrible whats going on over there. We shouldnt support this

Talk about a weird time , even the New President of Iran is telling them to calm down .
Old 08-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #218
firstdown
Living Legend

Probably using the money and guns Obama sent them.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #219
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Egypt in terms of importance/influence within the region is maybe just behind Saudi Arabia. Not a good situation now. Probably should stop writing checks

He Gets Us
Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #220
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I just wish we could free ourselves from the Great Oil Dependency so that we could let these backwaters of civilization go their own way and extinguish themselves through their own shortsighted pride.
You can thank those greedy ****s for that. They lobby to kill any type of energy/fuel type improvements so they can continue bilking in the cash from oil.

That said, we only get a small supply from the middle east so why in the hell do we continue to **** around over there is beyond me.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #221
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Egypt turmoil deepens; militants kill 25 policemen

Real ugly over there.

Quote:
Hate to say it but our military would do the same to us if we revolted. Don't believe so, just look at history to see how wrong of a assumption that would be. People in power will do anything to stay in power.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 08-19-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #222
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post

Real ugly over there.

Hate to say it but our military would do the same to us if we revolted. Don't believe so, just look at history to see how wrong of a assumption that would be. People in power will do anything to stay in power.
This is the same military that helped the people over throw the last goverment in Egypt. So they go both ways. LOL
Old 08-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #223
firstdown
Living Legend

I guess some people will never learn you don't throw rocks at tanks or at people with guns.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #224
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post

Real ugly over there.

You think our military would fire on protestors? Or basically that incident could happen here...I really dont think so.

I dont know, think someone turned the lights off on you in the assumption room and locked the door.

He Gets Us
Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #225
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
You think our military would fire on protestors? Or basically that incident could happen here...I really dont think so.

I dont know, think someone turned the lights off on you in the assumption room and locked the door.
Really? I suggest you look up Kent State shooting and see the results. Military personnel firing on protestors.

May 4, 1970: The Kent State University shootings told through pictures (PHOTOS).

Why do people act as if that it won't happen here? Sure, there are many military men that would refuse that order, but there are many that would not. Especially when you have your superior officers telling you that they are "terrorists" or the "bad guys". We've seen our military men blasting away civilians at ease and being quite casual about it.

To think our own military would not fire on us is laughable at best. History and current events show otherwise.