Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #196
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Redskins "Name Change" Volume 10000000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Well see, the problem with that logic is that you assume everyone offended is a rationally minded person. I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could find multiple people offended about anything. But that doesn't mean they are all sane, level-headed people. Now before you start no, I am not saying that Native Americans are not rationally minded people, I am saying if you get up in arms about a very small minority of people that get offended over something a large majority of people don't care about, well then you've created a never-ending supply of problems that are far less important than serious issues that actually need to be taken care of.
your logic offends me.

Advertisements
Old 09-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #197
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Monk Machine View Post
Unless I've misread this but it seems according to a 2012 census, native Americans only make 1.2% of the US population. USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I dont have a number, but not all NA's are opposing the redskins name.

I'm not sure what reservations really mean b/c it seems to be out of US legal jurisdiction- or at least they have certain rights to their areas, so....they aren't really apart of the US in my political view.

It really seems like just a couple hundred to a few thousand NA's in all of America could have an issue. Democracy protects us from the opinion of a few vs. millions.

I'm no longer concerned this debate gains momentum b/c it's not important.
You are also operating on the assumption that only Native Americans are offended by the name redskins when that is not the case. For instance, I think most Americans would be offended if they heard the word "chink" used derogatorly towards Chinese and Chinese Americans. Just because they represent a minority of the population doesn't mean we should accept it as tolerable. For better or worse what is considered socially acceptable evolves.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #198
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

This is what happens when hippies are permitted to breed. <rolls_eyes>

Anyone using any kind of derogatory term immediately sets themselves apart as bigoted, depending on the intent. The word only has the 'power' others give it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #199
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
You are also operating on the assumption that only Native Americans are offended by the name redskins when that is not the case. For instance, I think most Americans would be offended if they heard the word "chink" used derogatorly towards Chinese and Chinese Americans. Just because they represent a minority of the population doesn't mean we should accept it as tolerable. For better or worse what is considered socially acceptable evolves.
Except chink wasnt used by the Chinese themselves to describe themselves with it before the racists got a hold of it. Can chink be used against a Chinese person and it not be derogatory? Any time the intent is negative, its derogatory. Calling someone a dog is derogatory, but do we accept murdering puppies due to that? Are we lobbying congress to make all dog names not allowed?

Look at it this way. It has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Indians themselves used the term Redskin to describe themselves. Indians against the term Redskins have a choice to make. Side with their own ancestors, or side with the racists. They choose to side with the racists over their own forefathers. Which is one of the biggest problems I have with this whole debate. Why would they do that?

As far as socially acceptable. If this country wants to honor Indians. The VERY FIRST thing we should do is redo the $20 bill. It has a picture of Andrew Jackson on it. The president that pushed for the Indian Relocation Act and is responsible for the trail of tears. Yet very few, if any, asks for that. Have you ever heard of anyone raging against the term Redskins calling for the $20 bill to be redesigned? Lets also not forget that some Indians flat out call the term Native American racist. Does anyone care? Certainly not the people calling Redskins racist. They are inconsistent in their views.

As for what is socially accepted evolving. Then we need to get rid of the Green Bay Packers name as well. That is a derogatory term for a gay man. It started as fudge packer but has been shortened to packer. Do you honestly believe that someone talking about a packer today is talking about a meat packer? It is the word replacing "faggot" in todays society. I have heard it a fair amount of times when someone was talking about gay men, and it was clear it was meant in a derogatory way. I have heard an openly gay man say he cant stand the term. It is meant in a derogatory way. So why no outrage over the Packers name (other than PETA who do mean it as a meat packer)?

Its all selective outrage, and here in lies the problem with the white/black people feigning outrage over Redskins. They arent consistent with their views of morally acceptable. They are happy to have a stack of Andrew Jacksons in their wallets while referring to them as Native Americans. If they did just a bit of research, they would realize that some Indians call that racist... But do they care? Not at all...
Old 09-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #200
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
This is so scary. Is this how majorities think? If there are 2 Native Americans and they're offended than it's a problem.
Such an idiotic statement deserves nothing but contempt.

I am offended at this. If anyone cares to join me, I think we have "a problem".
Old 09-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #201
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
So if we as Redskins fans decide that the word Cowboys is offensive to actual Cowboys then we can be offended and demand a change? Not how it works...you can understand and agree that a word is offensive...but you can only be offended when the word or term is used towards you. There is a difference in my opinion.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #202
scowan
The Starter

Is the Redskins name offensive? For some it's personal - NFL - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

Here is another one!!! Really, I am so tired of this.

Last edited by scowan; 09-27-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #203
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowan View Post
Here is another one!!! Really, I am so tired of this.

SO why do you keep reading the articles and posting them? It's kind of like that person you know who eats or smells something bad, and then they turn to you and ask if you want to partake in their unpleasant experience.

No, no I do not.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 09-30-2013, 03:38 AM   #204
ram29jackson
Special Teams

I cant post links n stuff yet but I read that its Indians that told the redskins to use a indian head logo in the first place
Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #205
scowan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
SO why do you keep reading the articles and posting them? It's kind of like that person you know who eats or smells something bad, and then they turn to you and ask if you want to partake in their unpleasant experience.

No, no I do not.
I guess because I kind of find it funny at this point. It seems like everyone out there has to write an article these days on their opinion of the "Redskins name". We live in such a politically correct world. Here is my question for all of these media types. Take a survey of indians and find out if they even read your stuff. These articles seem to be whites or blacks trying to explain to other whites or blacks how Redskins in offensive.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #206
44Deezel
The Starter

Good "mailbag" feedback on the Rick Reilly article.

Rick Reilly Mailbag: Sept. 25, 2013 - Rick Reilly Go Fish Blog - ESPN
Old 09-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #207
scowan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Good "mailbag" feedback on the Rick Reilly article.

Rick Reilly Mailbag: Sept. 25, 2013 - Rick Reilly Go Fish Blog - ESPN
Deezal, thanks for posting this. Rick Reilly kind of thinks about it the way I do. Why are white media types "championing" this cause. I need to hear from some native american media types. Would not that carry more weight? It would for me.

At least he quotes from some native americans in his follow-up piece you have linked and they seem to be fine with the word Redskins. I'm in no way saying they speak for all indians, but it is at least encouraging to see them have pride in the name like we do.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #208
ram29jackson
Special Teams

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 09-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #209
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Excellent post!
Old 10-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #210
ram29jackson
Special Teams

the mere fact that reservation schools call themselves redskins should just kill the issue outright. That and any indian team name or logo are the only things keeping their history alive in the first place. Its sports that got me interested in Indians. I was goth in the 80s LOL...and theres just something unique and fascinating about their art etc.

but the fact is , people and cultures do pass on and that woman cant figure that out but is more willing to kill our view of Indians then actually help it grow and be remembered.

in the 30s through the 50s many,many high schools and colleges had indian names of tribes near their territory. Now dumb asses like Wisconsin high schools and various colleges have given in with all this evidence it wasn't necessary at their finger tips...pathetic

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

old school black and white that I messed with in pixlr to use in ncaa teambuilder game
Closed Thread