Other Sports

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #196
itvnetop
Playmaker

Re: Washington Wizards 2011-2012 Ongoing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Nene's contract is hideous? Have you seen Rashard Lewis's contract??
Lewis' contract was only taken to rid themselves from the even worse contract EG gave Gilbert (a year longer than Lewis'). They can essentially buy out Lewis' contract this summer.

Nene's almost 30, so I hope we haven't picked up a player on his decline (even if he hasn't played as many minutes as others his age). He's getting paid a whole lot for the next four seasons. You don't think Denver had buyer's remorse for that extension? They're happy as could be with this trade...

Amnesty Blatche, buy out Lewis. Salvage something next summer.

my blather

Advertisements
Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #197
itvnetop
Playmaker

Another upside is that our tank effort may have been solidified with these trades. We traded our only outside (streaky) shooter (Mason doesn't count) for nothing (2nd round pick in 2015?!). Nene doesn't play tonight against the Hornets... huge tank game.

my blather

Last edited by itvnetop; 03-15-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #198
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Lewis' contract was only taken to rid themselves from the even worse contract EG gave Gilbert (a year longer than Lewis'). They can essentially buy out Lewis' contract this summer.

Nene's almost 30, so I hope we haven't picked up a player on his decline (even if he hasn't played as many minutes as others his age). He's getting paid a whole lot for the next four seasons. You don't think Denver had buyer's remorse for that extension? They're happy as could be with this trade...

Amnesty Blatche, buy out Lewis. Salvage something next summer.

I doubt that. The Wiz won this trade. They got rid of two knuckleheads that weren't gonna resign anyways and get a legitimate C to pair with Wall. Now you go into the off season with: Wall/Crawford/Singleton/Booker/Nene/Vesely/Mack as your core sign a backup C and draft a Kidd-Gilchrist, Thomas Robinson, or Anthony Davis and your talking playoffs.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #199
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

really pissed if we didnt off Javale and Wall for Monte Ellis. Ellis wouldnt been nice here

He Gets Us
Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #200
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I doubt that. The Wiz won this trade. They got rid of two knuckleheads that weren't gonna resign anyways and get a legitimate C to pair with Wall. Now you go into the off season with: Wall/Crawford/Singleton/Booker/Nene/Vesely/Mack as your core sign a backup C and draft a Kidd-Gilchrist, Thomas Robinson, or Anthony Davis and your talking playoffs.
These things were going to happen anyway- we weren't going to resign McGee or Young, so they'd have been gone by the end of the year. We're still going to draft in the top 5 or 6. The only point of contention is how "legitimate" Nene is for the next four years. Not talking about the rest of this season or even all of next year... but will he be worth 13/season in years 3 and 4. For a guy who doesn't do a whole lot of rebounding at his position, I'm not sure. Although I do like his defense and overall smarts, I'm just not sold on paying him that much until he's 34. I'd also like to see what Kevin Seraphin could do with more minutes.

Tell me- why would Denver extend Nene in December for a total contract of 67 million... and then happily trade him just three months later? If he was really worth that for five years, you don't trade him... especially that quickly after you extend him. I highly doubt JaVale McGee's potential was the overriding factor for Denver- getting rid of this bloated contract was top priority.

In two years, Wall + '12 lotto pick provides an attractive destination for a possible max player. Picking up Nene's contract doesn't help if we'd like to sign him and re-up Wall.

Having said all that, I'll be happy if proven totally wrong these next few seasons. I'm just not sold on Ernie Grunfeld's moves, as a whole. Last few drafts have been pretty solid, however (minus Vesely).

my blather

Last edited by itvnetop; 03-15-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #201
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Thought I read somewhere that to amnesty Blatche and cut Lewis would be financial suicide.

I do like that the pick we got from the Clippers is actually the Hornets pick

Clippers are now Wizards West with Young, Foye, and Butler
Old 03-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #202
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Thought I read somewhere that to amnesty Blatche and cut Lewis would be financial suicide.

I do like that the pick we got from the Clippers is actually the Hornets pick

Clippers are now Wizards West with Young, Foye, and Butler
I think doing both would cost Leonsis- he'd basically be paying those guys for not playing... If I'm thinking correctly, whoever they amnesty will no longer count against the cap. If they bought out Rashard, he'd probably cost around $13.5 million- a pretty penny for sure. But at least the entire salary from his final season (~$23.8) wouldn't count against the cap. Net cap savings of more than $10 mill. Considering how bad attendance has been this year, I'm no longer even sure Leonsis would give Lewis 13.5 for the huge cap savings.

my blather

Last edited by itvnetop; 03-16-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #203
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Golden State fans are ruthless.

Wow. I almost felt bad for Joe Lacob.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #204
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I think doing both would cost Leonsis- he'd basically be paying those guys for not playing... If I'm thinking correctly, whoever they amnesty will no longer count against the cap. If they bought out Rashard, he'd probably cost around $13.5 million- a pretty penny for sure. But at least the entire salary from his final season (~$23.8) wouldn't count against the cap. Net cap savings of more than $10 mill. Considering how bad attendance has been this year, I'm no longer even sure Leonsis would give Lewis 13.5 for the huge cap savings.

I don't understand how the NBA hasn't gotten rid of these guaranteed contracts. It's disheartening to see guys get these huge contracts and just tank from there on. When it happens in the NFL, that guy will never see most of his contract because he'll get cut and that money goes bye bye. Not in the NBA, the likes of Lewis, Gilbert, and a slew of others grab the cash and coast on easy street. I also blame the owners more than I do the players. It's easy. Don't pay bums you know that are going to tank. Rashard Lewis should have never gotten a max contract (or Gilbert).
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #205
BabyLuku
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
really pissed if we didnt off Javale and Wall for Monte Ellis. Ellis wouldnt been nice here
Hey! come on!
Can't give up on wall, I still think he's going to kill it if we can get a legit scorer in the draft.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #206
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Hey maybe one day KD comes home to you guys? For now we are enjoying his mvp type career in OKC!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #207
BabyLuku
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Hey maybe one day KD comes home to you guys? For now we are enjoying his mvp type career in OKC!
We'll give you Crawford for him?
Wall would lead the league in assists forever with KD.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #208
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
No way, Wall has the potential to be a top 10 player in the league if he ever gets some help (and learns to know when to slow down). Dude's been on a tear the past few months, too. There's something about Ellis that just doesn't jive with winning basketball... not sure if it was the complete overhaul in Golden State after Nelson left, but he just hasn't been the same after his injury. We'll see what he can do in Milwaukee.

As for some good news:

LOL

Safe to say, AB is done as a Wizard.

my blather
Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #209
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
No way, Wall has the potential to be a top 10 player in the league if he ever gets some help (and learns to know when to slow down). Dude's been on a tear the past few months, too. There's something about Ellis that just doesn't jive with winning basketball... not sure if it was the complete overhaul in Golden State after Nelson left, but he just hasn't been the same after his injury. We'll see what he can do in Milwaukee.

As for some good news:

LOL

Safe to say, AB is done as a Wizard.
God only knows how long that's going to take. I feel like I've never seen a good Wizards team, even though they were good 4-5 years ago? I trust Leonsis to make good decisions, because hell, look at the Capitals. It just feels like the Wizards are a long ways away from being even a .500 team.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #210
BabyLuku
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
God only knows how long that's going to take. I feel like I've never seen a good Wizards team, even though they were good 4-5 years ago? I trust Leonsis to make good decisions, because hell, look at the Capitals. It just feels like the Wizards are a long ways away from being even a .500 team.
Last time I came to Washington was when Arenas was just entering his prime. Was great going to watch the Wizards for a couple of weeks and them actually consistently winning.
Closed Thread