Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Haskins released

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #196
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Haskins released

Maybe Haskins should wait it out to see if Urban Meyer actually joins the NFL this offseason, which looks like a real possibility. Lions, Falcons, & Jaguars are reportedly interested in Meyer or at least are said to be potential landing spots along with several other teams. That might be Haskins' best bet to redeem himself. If Meyer won't take him, then that will tell you all you need to know.
Chief X_Phackter is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #197
rocnrik
Playmaker

I would absolutely give a 19-32 first round pick for Stafford.. he is 32 and could play at high level for 4-5 years or longer .. as far as a package I’m not sure i would give next years number one also ... this team is a Qb and Three players away from being legit.. another botched First round Can’t miss QB will sit us back years ... as far as injury goes with Stafford look what happened to Burrow..at least make a attempt .. what do is we offer for Cooper last year ?? I know no picks were involved but his price was steep ..I hope we at least get in the mix on trying to get Matt!
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:54 PM   #198
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I hope Stafford / Ryan / Rivers aren't even on their radar.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #199
AnonEmouse
The Starter

If you're a good scouting/coaching staff everyone with any talent or potential is on your radar, until they are ruled out.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:38 PM   #200
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
If you're a good scouting/coaching staff everyone with any talent or potential is on your radar, until they are ruled out.
Yeah, but if you're a good scouting/coaching staff, hopefully you also have a plan that involves getting younger and building something sustainable for a long time, rather than giving away pieces and picks and tying up 50+ million in the QB room next year.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:48 PM   #201
rocnrik
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I hope Stafford / Ryan / Rivers aren't even on their radar.
Okay ... so to get a QB in the draft we will have to move up which will require draft picks or players ... we will need to move from 19th( if we win Sunday) to top 6 to land a top qb prospect .. and you truly believe that a kid out of college will come in here and do what a Matt Stafford can do?? Not every kid is gonna be Pat M.. I agree about Rivers .. but I will get you dollars to donuts that Matt Stafford if he gets on the right team can lead them to a super bowl .. he will most likely end up in San Francisco.. we better get this right
Old 12-30-2020, 08:55 PM   #202
rocnrik
Playmaker

We got 3-4 years to get the Offense where the D allready is ... we currently have the 4th ranked D .. and still could use a few players there ...the fastest way to get our Offense into top 10 is a proven Vet... not some kid like Haskins who we wasted a 15th overall pick on ... even RGiii did not pan out .. look how many high pick Rookie QBs are just plain bad ... I would rather know what I’m getting ..
Old 12-30-2020, 09:23 PM   #203
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

If Alex comes off the books, I'm all for it. If not - no thanks. I'd rather dig into that 2nd tier of QBs on the free agent market and find a gem in the draft, than trade picks/players and pay that Stafford salary on top of Alex's. You can use those picks to try to get your future QB in the draft.

We're finally building something good here, and hopefully something sustainable for years to come, and people all of a sudden want this magic quick fix - trade a GREAT D-lineman, give up picks, etc... Why? Why is this defense only going to be good for the next couple years? Why can't it be better in a few years? You're willing to pay the QBs almost 60 million next year, but you don't think we can afford to maintain a good defense - a championship defense over the next few years? Sorry, I don't get the logic. This team came pretty close to winning 10 games this year - in a year that they had zero offseason, new coaches, new systems, and four different QBs. If they had averaged only one more TD per 1st half, this would have been a top 10 offense this year.

You see it differently than I do, and that's ok. We can agree to disagree.

Bottom line for me - don't trade any D-linemen, keep all the draft picks (unless there's a chance to maneuver a little to get your future QB in the draft), start to extend some contracts for guys that will be the core of this team moving forward, upgrade the QB, Oline, WR, TE, and LB positions via free agency, bring back Heinicke, draft a QB, and win the SB.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:42 PM   #204
rocnrik
Playmaker

I actually agree with the Alex part .. my thinking is if we bring in a pricey Vet Smith is gone ... so in that respect we agree ..
Old 12-30-2020, 11:13 PM   #205
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
If Alex comes off the books, I'm all for it. If not - no thanks. I'd rather dig into that 2nd tier of QBs on the free agent market and find a gem in the draft, than trade picks/players and pay that Stafford salary on top of Alex's. You can use those picks to try to get your future QB in the draft.

We're finally building something good here, and hopefully something sustainable for years to come, and people all of a sudden want this magic quick fix - trade a GREAT D-lineman, give up picks, etc... Why? Why is this defense only going to be good for the next couple years? Why can't it be better in a few years? You're willing to pay the QBs almost 60 million next year, but you don't think we can afford to maintain a good defense - a championship defense over the next few years? Sorry, I don't get the logic. This team came pretty close to winning 10 games this year - in a year that they had zero offseason, new coaches, new systems, and four different QBs. If they had averaged only one more TD per 1st half, this would have been a top 10 offense this year.

Bottom line for me - don't trade any D-linemen, keep all the draft picks (unless there's a chance to maneuver a little to get your future QB in the draft), start to extend some contracts for guys that will be the core of this team moving forward, upgrade the QB, Oline, WR, TE, and LB positions via free agency, bring back Heinicke, draft a QB, and win the SB.
You make some really good points here. I concur.
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:16 PM   #206
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:

The only QB's I would trade a Dlineman to move up for would be Lawrence or Wilson, not Fields or anyone else.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:21 PM   #207
Schneed10
A Dude

This defense is ready now. As in now, even with the lack of pieces at safety and LB. I’d be looking at the vet route over a rookie for sure.

Keep an eye on the cap casualties in February. The cap is so much lower this year, there might be a few more guys available than you think.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:34 PM   #208
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Even Haskins agent broke up with him:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dwayne-...172720892.html

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:17 AM   #209
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Really need a QB that is not just elite but a role model and character guy. You can only hope Haskins can really redeem himself!
Old 12-31-2020, 03:37 AM   #210
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
This defense is ready now. As in now, even with the lack of pieces at safety and LB. I’d be looking at the vet route over a rookie for sure.

Keep an eye on the cap casualties in February. The cap is so much lower this year, there might be a few more guys available than you think.
I don't know man. This defense is good and has played well, but they've also played the 4th easiest schedule in the NFL, and four of the six wins came against backup quarterbacks.

Plenty of work to be done. Can't be trading away D-linemen, and gotta shore up the LB position, but I like the state of the safety position with Collins, Curl, Everett, Reaves, Apke.