Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 04-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #196
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

You didn't like There Will Be Blood? That sucks, that was next on my list of movies to see.

Advertisements
Old 04-18-2008, 11:52 PM   #197
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I still haven't seen Juno or No Country For Old Men. I'd like to see both but I'm probably gonna wait until they hit HBO or one of the other movie channels on t.v.. Anyways, here are a few of my thoughts on movies I've seen recently.

I saw Fracture the other week, and I thought it was one of the most well put together films I've seen in recent memory. I absolutely loved the plot and the ending was great too. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who loves a good crime drama involving the courts.

I saw Blades of Glory as well about a month ago, and I actually thought it was a really funny movie. I wasn't expecting much of it because i'm not interested in ice skating and I thought it was just gonna be another Will Ferrell acts retarded (i.e. Talladega Nights) movie but he was really funny in it, along with Jon Heder. If you've got some free time and nothing else is on check it out.

I don't know if I said anything about American Gangster, but I figured I'd say something about it since it just came out on DVD. That movie probably ranks in my top five, and I only saw it once when it came out in theaters. It's definitely a movie to watch, and something I'm definitely gonna get on dvd when i get the chance. Denzel does another great job acting in it and Russell Crowe didn't do a half bad job at playing the cop who takes him down.

Flyboys is coming on tomorrow night on Showtime and I'm gonna check that out, I haven't seen it yet but I like classic war movies and it looks good so I'm gonna check that out.

I saw Freedomland a while back, and I thought it was okay. If nobody's heard about it, the basic premise is that this lady's son goes missing, and this detective (Samuel Jackson) tries to help her find him amid all this tension between cops and the citizens who live in the slums where she lives. It was okay but the plot didn't really keep me intrigued.

One movie that I thought was really good and definitely worth watching was Jet Li's Fearless. Very inspiring story of a martial artist who lives in China around the 1920's (I think). ////////SPOILER\\\\\\\\ The reason I thought this was such an awesome movie was because Huo Yuanjia (Jet Li) is this martial artist who only cares about winning and being the best, and it comes back to bit him because he kills his former master and so one of his former master's disciples kills his wife and daughter. So Yuanjia stops fighting in these contests and goes way out into the countryside, where this blind girl and her grandmother revitalize him and show him the error of his ways. He stops being this arrogant asshole who only cares about winning and transforms into this guy who sees Wushu (the fighting style he uses) as a way to unite the Chinese people and make the country stronger. /////END SPOILER\\\\\ Huo Yuanjia (Jet Li) is actually the founder of the Jin Wu Sports Federation (anyone in martial arts probably has heard of them as they are actually a big organization today) and it's a true story. It was very inspiring to me because it really shows that a person can change for the better. I'd definitely check that out.

Alpha Dog is a good movie too. It's another true story about something that happened back at the turn of the century. These guys kidnap the younger brother of a guy who owes one of them a bunch of money because of drugs, and long story short the kid stays with them a while and ////////SPOILER\\\\\\\ they kill him at the end. //////END SPOILER\\\\\ Overall though it's a very sad story because it's true. Another good film worth checking out.

Another thing you guys might want to check out is something I found on another forum. It's all about movies coming out in the next few years.

This link is 30 upcoming sequels coming out in the next few years.
30 Upcoming Movie Sequels You Didn't Know About - Den of Geek

Also while you check that out there are links in there for 13 computer games that are being made into films, 23 television shows that are gonna be made into movies, and 38 movie remakes that are gonna be made.

Last edited by SmootSmack; 04-19-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: hid the spoilers so no one accidentally reads them that doesn't want to
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:55 PM   #198
onlydarksets
Playmaker

No Country was 90% awesome, 10% awful. The 10% ruined it for me.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:06 AM   #199
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You didn't like There Will Be Blood? That sucks, that was next on my list of movies to see.
I saw There Will Be Blood the other night and it's a very good and interesting movie. Daniel Day-Lewis is one hell of an actor. Definitely a must see.

I'd also checkout Gone Baby Gone, 3:10 to Yuma.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:10 AM   #200
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
No Country was 90% awesome, 10% awful. The 10% ruined it for me.
What 10% are you talking about?

-Jenkins
Old 04-19-2008, 12:11 AM   #201
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I saw There Will Be Blood the other night and it's a very good and interesting movie. Daniel Day-Lewis is one hell of an actor. Definitely a must see.

Yuma? Who's that, some unheralded college guy you're hoping we draft?

Yeah, I'm going to start taking more advantage of RedBox I think and rent more movies. Not too much though, I want to read more as well. I'm all Renaissance man up in here!
Old 04-19-2008, 12:21 AM   #202
saden1
MVP

I have Netflix and I recently tried RedBox and it's a pain in the ass...more trouble than it's worth if you're lazy like me....$1 dollar a night will turn into $3 rental quick. It doesn't help that some people take 5 min to find something they like...movie dispenser is sooooo freaking slow. And what's up with how movies are returned? Is it too much to ask to let me insert the god damn disk and walk away without having to lineup?

-Jenkins
Old 04-19-2008, 12:41 AM   #203
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I have Netflix and I recently tried RedBox and it's a pain in the ass...more trouble than it's worth if you're lazy like me....$1 dollar a night will turn into $3 rental quick. It doesn't help that some people take 5 min to find something they like...movie dispensable is sooooo freaking slow. And what's up with how movies are returned? Is it too much to ask to let me insert the god damn disk and walk away without having to lineup?
Interesting. Thanks for the info on Redbox.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:09 AM   #204
dmek25
MVP

saden, did you see cloverfield? its coming out Tuesday, and im thinking of getting it
Old 04-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #205
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
saden, did you see cloverfield? its coming out Tuesday, and im thinking of getting it
Yeah, I saw it. It's a tad bit better than War of the Worlds in some aspects. It's watchable but story wise there's really nothing new or compelling in it.

-Jenkins
Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #206
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
One that I was pleasantly surprised by was Walk Hard,surprised to see the lead really did all the singing,I'm going to buy the soundtrack
John C. Reilly was the man in that movie...my wife wasn't impressed with the movie. Could be because I saw it in the theatre, and was pretty much laughing at parts before they happened.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #207
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I have Netflix and I recently tried RedBox and it's a pain in the ass...more trouble than it's worth if you're lazy like me....$1 dollar a night will turn into $3 rental quick. It doesn't help that some people take 5 min to find something they like...movie dispenser is sooooo freaking slow. And what's up with how movies are returned? Is it too much to ask to let me insert the god damn disk and walk away without having to lineup?
REDBOX Rocks! You need to learn how to use it best and that is on-line.

I go on-line check local Red Boxes for their inventory select what I want and reserve it. I usually do this Friday morning and get whatever new movies are out. So come Friday night after work I stop by pick up my hard to find New Release for a buck. Then drive by Blockbuster and wave to all the folks who have gone there to find out that the movie they wanted is sold out and they are now renting Out of Africa for five bucks.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #208
Redskin
Impact Rookie

Ok ill share this with you, Forgeting Sara Marshall funniest movie this year at least.
#21#RIP Sean Taylor a TRUE Redskin#21#
<--Hey wheres my green approval rating?
Redskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #209
12thMan
MVP

Quote:

3:10 was great. Gone Babay Gone was really good. Shocked me, actually. And yes, There Will Be Blood was good. DD Lewis is a great actor.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #210
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
Ok ill share this with you, Forgeting Sara Marshall funniest movie this year at least.
I'll call your bluff. While it looks funny, and it's a Judd Apatow movie, 2 things bother me. We've yet to see Jason Segel carry a movie as the male lead (he's funny on How I Met Your Mother, but NPH carries that show), and I can't stand Mila Kunis.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote