Broncos vs Skins Post Game Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #181
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Broncos vs Skins Post Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I think it's just because even the most efficient rushing offenses in the NFL don't put up a lot of points because it's difficult to get yards in chunks.

There was a run Morris had yesterday to the left where he broke a tackle and got to the outside, and a more explosive runner might have been able to get past the safety and take it the distance. But for Morris, it was only a productive run of 15+ yards. And ultimately, that's why they have to throw for their points. Even when the running game is working great, like it was yesterday, its still complementary.
I think it's give and take w/ Morris. Yeah he may not break off Chris Johnson type of runs, but he also makes yards when yards are not there. Besides, all the best offenses throw for their points.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #182
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Tell that to Lou Holtz. Lou demoted his son while at South Carolina. From what I gather from people close to Skip while he was here, Skip still harbored some ill will towards his dad in regards to that.

Star-News - Google News Archive Search

That said, Lou made the right call and did exactly what a good coach should do.
How hard is it to demote your son for the good of the team knowing that both you and your son will suffer the heartache of your son feeling that you have betrayed him? For most men, that is nearly an impossible thing to do.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #183
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
You say trying to find a passing game that wasnt there? Protection horrible, RG3 accuracy was a disgrace yesterday. So go away from a running game that was dominating? No that doesnt make much sense.

If you wanted to "find the passing", you find it but moving the pocket, or 3 step drop or do something different in the scheme. RG3 wasnt see the field, or getting crush by the pass rush. You dont abandon any part of game, you adjust whats not working. Look at RG3 numbers entering the 3rd quarter, why would you not run the ball.
In hindsight, the passing game never produced. And that's the real story from the game. The run enough/didn't run enough is a distraction from the fact that the passing game could not handle the Denver Broncos, who hadn't stopped anyone else prior to yesterday.

The point is, if you go run heavy in the second half because you don't trust RG3 to throw against the Broncos, you're going to lose anyway, and you're going to lose in the worst way possible: conservatively.

I am not going to let Kyle off the hook for the failure of the passing game he built, but the "run the football more" argument seems, on it's face, to be a bit of a distraction.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #184
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
We need to be very active on the trade market IMO We need another quality reciever, I saw on PFT that Fitz may be up for grabs and if this is the case we should jump on that opportunity. Front office needs to make some moves.

Larry Fitzgerald: If they decide to move me, that happens | ProFootballTalk

A combo of Garcon, Fitz, and Reed would change the dynamic of this offense greatly

DO you remotely understand the contract ramifications of bringing Fitz aboard? Also, we have no first round to give away, and you want to give up future picks ala Cerrato style? Fitz is going to count for 18 mil next season and 21 mill the season after.

Larry Fitzgerald Contracts, Salaries, Cap Hits, & Transactions

Not only that, why the hell would Fitz want to come to a 2-5 team?? His current team is better than we are.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #185
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think it's give and take w/ Morris. Yeah he may not break off Chris Johnson type of runs, but he also makes yards when yards are not there. Besides, all the best offenses throw for their points.
Morris is very, very, very good. He's just as good as he was last year. In some ways, better. But he's just a complementary player. Morris can be this awesome, and it won't prevent the Redskins from going 4-12 if they can't get production out of anyone else.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #186
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Same game but sometimes that protection goes on the RB and QB.. Not saying the line is perfect but RG3 didn't do anything to help them
I think adequate would be a better choice of words than perfect....
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #187
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I...I think that's what he was thinking too. Which makes be a bit miffed that you point that out while arguing the opposite.

If you shorten the game, it just makes every possession more valuable. It doesn't really change the equation as far as winning the game goes. It probably increases Peyton's effect on the outcome of the game.

It makes you a lot less likely to lose by 24, but much more likely to lose by 7.
Of course it changes the equation. If you are within 7, anything can happen. If you're behind by 24, your goose is cooked.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #188
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
If only someone would have suggested this in December 2009...
Well to be fair to Kyle didn't we have one of the top ranked O last year?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #189
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
So throw out all of the data, except the one week he had first team reps and played a garbage football team. You're saying that one game makes him a better option than the reigning ROY?

And mop up duty or not, you shouldn't need first team reps to know that staring down an out route is a bad decision.
I'm so tired of people talking about last year.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #190
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
In hindsight, the passing game never produced. And that's the real story from the game. The run enough/didn't run enough is a distraction from the fact that the passing game could not handle the Denver Broncos, who hadn't stopped anyone else prior to yesterday.

The point is, if you go run heavy in the second half because you don't trust RG3 to throw against the Broncos, you're going to lose anyway, and you're going to lose in the worst way possible: conservatively.I am not going to let Kyle off the hook for the failure of the passing game he built, but the "run the football more" argument seems, on it's face, to be a bit of a distraction.
Yeah Im just gonna disagree here, because of the way we won the first half. To allow the defense to breath and to bleed the clock was clicking just fine. Lets be honest, Haslett had Peyton yesterday until RG3 threw INTs and fumbled the ball away along with the win. So giving the game away to them due to the passing game was ok?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #191
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
More give than take, IMO. John Riggins didn't have many long runs but I'd say he was effective. Moving the chains is what it's all about. Most of the breakaway type runners in the NFL couldn't break the tackles that get Morris his 10 and 20 yard runs. So, where would that put them?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #192
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Of course it changes the equation. If you are within 7, anything can happen. If you're behind by 24, your goose is cooked.
But if it ends with you defending your goal the whole second half, you're out of the realm of anything can happen, and into the realm of defeatism.

The point is, it's the same probability of winning either way, unless you really like your chance of stopping Peyton Manning on any given drive. Like, if you kept a secret defense he's never seen in your pocket the whole game. But I don't think that exists, and by shorting the game, you're just giving the best player on the field more control over the outcome.

I thought clearly, the best opportunity to win was more posessions = more turnovers. The second Hall pick...total gamechanger if the offense wasn't busy crapping the bed.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #193
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
DO you remotely understand the contract ramifications of bringing Fitz aboard? Also, we have no first round to give away, and you want to give up future picks ala Cerrato style? Fitz is going to count for 18 mil next season and 21 mill the season after.

Larry Fitzgerald Contracts, Salaries, Cap Hits, & Transactions

Not only that, why the hell would Fitz want to come to a 2-5 team?? His current team is better than we are.
I understand the cap ramifications of a deal like that. I also understand that players and teams can make adjustments to contracts to make things work. The record doesn't matter. If you add a player of that caliber to the roster it will completely change the dynamic of the offense and make RG a better passer. Also, he will give more opportunites to Garcon, Morris, Reed, and Robinson.

I have a go big or go home mentality and if they don't get the quality talent around Robert, he will fail.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #194
JLee9718
Impact Rookie

I just don't understand the plays that were called. It seemed like our coaches felt sorry for Denver and wanted to let them score more points. I'm still shaking my head at the calls little Kyle made. Why did we ever want Kyle here in the first place? He was touted as the next Joe Gibbs (by his dad, that is!).
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #195
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
More give than take, IMO. John Riggins didn't have many long runs but I'd say he was effective. Moving the chains is what it's all about. Most of the breakaway type runners in the NFL couldn't break the tackles that get Morris his 10 and 20 yard runs. So, where would that put them?
Oh I agree. Yesterday they should've given him the ball 35 times. Kyle still thinks he's calling plays in Houston.