Debating with the enemy

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #181
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Pro-gun article

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Gangbangers are 'children', too! Oh, the humanity!

....and more numbers.

Inter-country comparison of mortality for selected cause of death, European Detailed Mortality Database (DMDB). Children exposed to violence: https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/227744.pdf
More than one out of five teenagers has witnessed a shooting
The 2008 National Survey of Children’s Exposure to Violence found that more than one in five 14-17 year olds in a national representative survey of children had witnessed a shooting at some point in their lives. This number is thought to be much higher among low-income children; one study found that more than two out of five low-income Black school-aged children had witnessed a murder.
Black, Hispanic, American Indian and Alaska Native children and teens are disproportionately likely to die or be injured by guns.
In 2010, 45 percent of gun deaths and 46 percent of gun injuries were among Black children and teens, although they comprised only 15 percent of all children and teens.
Black children and teens were 4.7 times more likely to die from guns than White children and teens, and 8.5 times more likely to be injured. American Indian and Alaska Native children and teens were 2.4 times more likely to die than White children and teens. Hispanic children were 3.3 times more likely to be injured compared to White children and teens.
Two out of three gun deaths in children and teens are homicides and a little over one out of four are suicides. Among nonfatal gun injuries, a little over three out of four result from assaults and nearly one out of five is accidental.
Gun deaths and nonfatal injuries among children and teens (ages 0-19) in 2010 Firearm deaths
Estimated Nonfatal Firearm Injuries
Number
Percent
Rate*
Number
Percent
Rate*
100%
Total
100%
Total
66%
Homicide
78%
Assault
28%
Suicide
19%
Accidental
5%
Accidental
3%
Self-harm
1%
Undetermined
87%
Boys
88%
Boys
13%
Girls
12%
Girls
86%
Between ages 15-19
89%
Between ages 15-19
8%
Between ages 10-14
8%
Between ages 10-14
3%
Between ages 5-9
2%
Between ages 5-9
3%
Between ages 0-4
1%
Between ages 0-4
45%
Black, non-Hispanic
46%
Black, non-Hispanic
34%
White, non-Hispanic
23%
Hispanic
19%
Hispanic, all races
18%
White, non-Hispanic
2%
American Indian or Alaska Native, non Hispanic

10%
2%

Race not stated
Other non-Hispanic

1%
Asian or Pacific Islander, non Hispanic

Advertisements
Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #182
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Disturbing statistics.

Goat Trauma Statistics
Old 05-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #183
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Disturbing statistics.

Goat Trauma Statistics
The majority of goat traumas occur before age eight and after age fifty-two.

Phew, I turn 52 this year and I'm goat-trauma free! The numbers don't lie, but now I'll have to steer clear of petting zoos.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #184
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I wonder how many youths in mid east, african, central and south american countries have witnessed shootings?

sometimes stats are so meaningless that its funny when people try to assign meanings to them.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #185
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Shhhhhh.....they're trying to build a utopia.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #186
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Epidemic: Guns kill twice as many kids as cancer does

Dustin Racioppi, The Asbury Park (N.J.) Press7:28 a.m. EDT April 11, 2013

Children's group says gun deaths among youth also outnumber soldiers injured in Afghanistan.

Group to give away 30 guns in 30 days in PR bid(Photo: Seth Wenig, AP)
Story Highlights
  • Children's advocacy group says in 2010, 15,576 youth were injured by firearms
  • Accidental firearms injuries have been on the decline nationwide
  • Congress is set to vote on a series of gun-control measures aimed at reducing gun violence

ASBURY PARK, N.J. — Most victims of gun violence in 2010 were not on a battlefield or remote hillside in the Middle East fighting in a war. They were, like 6-year-old Brandon Holt, children and teenagers in America, according to the Children's Defense Fund.
Brandon was shot in the head by his friend and neighbor, an unidentified 4-year-old boy, on Monday night. He is now also a statistic of gun violence.
STORY: Family donates N.J. boy's organs after shooting death
In 2010, 15,576 children and teenagers were injured by firearms — three times more than the number of U.S. soldiers injured in the war in Afghanistan, according to the defense fund.
Nationally, guns still kill twice as many children and young people than cancer, five times as many than heart disease and 15 times more than infection, according to the New England Journal of Medicine.
"We see guns as much of a threat in their life as we used to see bacteria and viruses," said Dr. Judith S. Palfrey, a past president of the American Academy of Pediatrics and the co-author of the New England journal report. "If you look at what's actually killing children and disabling children, guns is one of the major things."
Accidental firearms injuries have been on the decline nationwide. In 2001, 5,091 children ages 19 and under were injured by a firearm. Those numbers steadily decreased through 2009, when 3,587 children under 19 were reported injured by a firearm, according to the defense fund.
A national issue
Monday night's shooting in Toms River comes during a high-profile period for guns and politics. Congress is set to vote on a series of gun-control measures aimed at reducing gun violence.
Meanwhile, gun violence persists. Since the shooting on Dec. 14 in Newtown, Conn., 58 children have been killed by guns, according to the online magazine Slate. On Saturday in Tennessee, a 4-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed the wife of a sheriff's deputy.
"Gun violence right now is an epidemic in our country," said Raymonde Charles, a Children's Defense Fund spokeswoman. "It's a moral imperative for us to really come together, work together to reduce gun violence."
It was not clear Tuesday how the Toms River boy got access to the rifle.
Nicola Bocour, director of Ceasefire NJ, which advocates for stricter gun laws, said the shooting underscores the need for a societal shift in attitudes toward guns.
"I think what it really shows is that the state of the gun culture in this country right now, the way it's approached, is not healthy," Bocour said.
Statistics on shootings
— In 2010 in the U.S., 606 people died from an unintentional shooting.
— In 2011,14,675 people were wounded in an unintentional shooting but survived.
— In 49 percent of unintentional shooting deaths, the victim is shot by another person.
— Thirty-three percent of U.S. households have a gun, and half of gun-owning households do not lock up their guns, including 40 percent of households with kids under age 18.
— A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to be used in a completed or attempted suicide (11 times more likely), a criminal assault or homicide (seven times more likely), or unintentional shooting death or injury (four times more likely) than in a self-defense shooting.
— Most unintentional shooting deaths occur in the home (65 percent), based on data from 16 states. The most common context of the death (30 percent) was playing with the gun.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #187
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Missouri tells the federal gun grabbers to go suck an egg!

Missouri Legislature Nullifies All Federal Gun Control
Old 05-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #188
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Missouri tells the federal gun grabbers to go suck an egg!

Missouri Legislature Nullifies All Federal Gun Control

LOL , lets see how long they go without" Federal Money".
Old 05-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #189
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post

So much for the will of the people.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #190
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I used to laugh at people that suggested the possibility of secession.
Not anymore.
Props to Missouri for defending the 2nd amendment.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #191
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Right, because that is how the Constitution and Bill of Rights viewed the balance between state and federal authority and responsibility(not to mention citizens rights)
Old 05-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #192
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
So much for the will of the people.

Prove it ,let them vote on it.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #193
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Prove it ,let them vote on it.
So, are you saying a veto proof vote in the state legislature does not represent the will of that State's voting public?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #194
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

the Missouri law is just for show. States cannot nullify or void federal laws. Either the federal law is determined to be unconstitutional by the Supreme Court and unenforceable or it is constitutional and binding on the States.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #195
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
So, are you saying a veto proof vote in the state legislature does not represent the will of that State's voting public?

Actually Joe answered the question but I say let voters decide on the new laws ,not some paid off politician who is acting in the best interest of a corporation and not John Q. Public.