RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Re: Pics For Sharing & Debating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
One Scientist opinion..,and a good one.

Science and miracles | Science and Belief
Science and miracles

I’m a scientist who believes that miracles can happen. I don’t think I’m all that unusual. I c<SNIP>
Written by Ruth Bancewicz
Yet another pseudo-science fronted Theological shell game.

I like Dawkins' take on the place, which not surprisingly I share.

a. I want a cup of tea
b. I put the water on the boil
c. Physics makes the water boil
d. But I made the tea!
e. Ergo Jesus.

Advertisements
Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #182
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 05-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #183
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #184
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Pat Condell on islam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz267A6jhbw

Moving pictures, not just a picture. I would like to hear a rational counter to his opinion, which I share.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #185
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #186
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Interesting.

On CNN or some news my dad and I were watching they showed how crucifixes had stayed on a wall through the tornado and how it was god's work.

Really? So he used his power to save two man made plastic crucifixes but allowed seven children to drown just down the road.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #187
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Interesting.

On CNN or some news my dad and I were watching they showed how crucifixes had stayed on a wall through the tornado and how it was god's work.

Really? So he used his power to save two man made plastic crucifixes but allowed seven children to drown just down the road.
Yeah, I never understand how people truly rationalize that kind of 'miracle' when stacked against the amount of havoc incurred.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #188
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Yeah, I never understand how people truly rationalize that kind of 'miracle' when stacked against the amount of havoc incurred.
Confirmation bias.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #189
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Sometimes, maybe most times, people that don't believe in God, or a higher power, misunderstand prayer, and the point of prayer. Prayer is not a child's christmas list to santa. It's not voodoo, or a magic incantation that summons an all powerful Genie to do your bidding. It's sole purpose is to communicate with the unseen creator of the universe, and allow him to communicate with you. Jesus' example of prayer does not place dictates on God, it opens with humility, acknowledging Him, and offering respect to Him, as a child would to a parent, or a citizen to one who is in position of authority.
It looks to Him and releases control of the uncontrollable events, (YOUR kingdom come, YOUR will be done). It asks reasonable, and necessary things (give us this day our daily bread), and for internal guidance and spiritual protection (lead us not into evil but protect us from the evil one).

The power and grace of prayer when come in humility, and respect, is not to suddenly have everything changed, but to have your internal spirit strengthened and renewed (And be renewed in the spirit of your mind EPH 4:23), and that the Lord would give those who are suffering the same internal calm to move beyond tragedy.

God never, ever, promised to make this world perfect in this age. He told Job to get over himself, and in the new testament, it is often acknowledged that in this world there will be strife, hardship, wars, rumors of wars, and calamitous weather events.

One more time, prayer is intended to change people, not circumstance.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #190
MTK
\m/

How about this load of hypocrisy

Arizona House Prayer Given By Atheist Lawmaker Sparks Do-Over From Christian Lawmaker

Meanwhile Rep. Jamescita Peshlakai nails it:

"I want to remind the House and my colleagues and everybody here that several of us here are not Christianized. I'm a traditional Navajo, so I stand here every day and participate in prayers," even without personally embracing them, said Peshlakai, D-Cameron. "This is the United States, this is America, and we all represent different people ... and you need to respect that. Your God is no more powerful than my God. We all come from the same creator."
Old 06-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #191
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Interesting.

Alot of that type of reverence probably goes all the way back to the origins of passover.

When the blood of the lamb was on the doorpost, the death passed over the house. Death, weeping, horror still occurred all around, but people who trusted and obeyed were kept safe. I am sure those that were saved praised and thanked God for that.

Spin forward to modern day, if God had said, there is a tornado coming, put a cross up on your house and it will pass. How many would actually have? I probably wouldn't, to much skepticism/cynicism, but when a protection of a sacrimental object occurs, we want to ascribe it to some level of care and concern by God. I think that is human instinct.

One last thought, again God may choose to save someone, but He makes it clear that in His timeline, everyone will be judged, there is no special clause that says he will set aside the workings of nature and science to impose His will. He allows us free will, and one day we will be brought before him, our actions, beliefs and heart will be judged.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #192
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
How about this load of hypocrisy

Arizona House Prayer Given By Atheist Lawmaker Sparks Do-Over From Christian Lawmaker

Meanwhile Rep. Jamescita Peshlakai nails it:

"I want to remind the House and my colleagues and everybody here that several of us here are not Christianized. I'm a traditional Navajo, so I stand here every day and participate in prayers," even without personally embracing them, said Peshlakai, D-Cameron. "This is the United States, this is America, and we all represent different people ... and you need to respect that. Your God is no more powerful than my God. We all come from the same creator."
I agree Peshlakai hit it on the head.

I am not sure I see hypocrisy, just stupidity, in Smith's comments. I also don't see anything wrong with what Mendez did.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #193
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Alot of that type of reverence probably goes all the way back to the origins of passover.

When the blood of the lamb was on the doorpost, the death passed over the house. Death, weeping, horror still occurred all around, but people who trusted and obeyed were kept safe. I am sure those that were saved praised and thanked God for that.

Spin forward to modern day, if God had said, there is a tornado coming, put a cross up on your house and it will pass. How many would actually have? I probably wouldn't, to much skepticism/cynicism, but when a protection of a sacrimental object occurs, we want to ascribe it to some level of care and concern by God. I think that is human instinct.

One last thought, again God may choose to save someone, but He makes it clear that in His timeline, everyone will be judged, there is no special clause that says he will set aside the workings of nature and science to impose His will. He allows us free will, and one day we will be brought before him, our actions, beliefs and heart will be judged.
I hear and respect your beliefs and you as a long term poster here. With that said I don't agree with your beliefs.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #194
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Confirmation bias.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #195
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote: