Coaching and Front Office Changes

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-07-2020, 02:37 PM   #181
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Re: Coaching and Front Office Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
JP Findlay mentioned that he believes Doug, Kyle, and Santos are safe for now.

While Schaffer was good and I wanted him to stay, he was also very close to Allen. I think that may be have been his undoing.
Yeah, i listened to that too. I am curious whether, if they bring in someone in after the draft, if it would be to REPLACE any of those 3 or to be a team president-type whom the 3 of them would report to.

I don't see any reason why Doug has a job here based on anything he's done in the front office. He seems to be resting on his laurels and I don't like that. Could care less about Santos one way or the other. Really impressed with everything Kyle Smith has been able to do IN SPITE of Allen and Snyder's meddling, so I hope that, if we bring someone in, we can somehow keep Kyle.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #182
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I am seeing reports that Scott Turner has been hired as the OC.

Also, the Giants may be looking at Jason Garrett for their OC.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #183
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
And he really improved their offense - with a 3rd string QB - in those 4 weeks.

What has KOC ever done here to care about? He's NOT Matt Lafleur and he's certainly not Sean McVay. He may be there one day, but he's nowhere close to being in their league now.

KOC's days here were numbered the second the season was over. It would have been foolish to promote him to HC and unreasonable to expect any new HC to just hand him the job based on the mediocre (at best) job he'd done here. KOC and Turner are basically on the same level as far as i'm concerned.

Snyder was quick and decisive in hiring Rivera - clearly the top HC candidate in the offseason - and Rivera has been quick and decisive in assembling his staff. Its clear that Rivera is getting his top choices and not settling for anything. We've been screaming for YEARS that we need to let the football people make the football decisions. Its finally happening. I'm not going to whine because some Kevin freaking OConnell is leaving.
Just clarifying, I am fine that Rivera is hiring his guy. I was not a KOC must stay guy. But to say that KOC hasn't proven anything here is as true as Scott Turner hasn't proven anything either. Hopefully Scott Turner comes in, develops a relationship with Haskins, and our offense takes off.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #184
JoeRedskin

From 9:50 this morning

Quote:
Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer
Source: The Redskins are hiring ex-Panthers assistant Scott Turner as their new offensive coordinator. They’re working on finalizing his contract now.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/stat...04985897553920
Old 01-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #185
JoeRedskin

Story on Scott Turner working with Cam Newton:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/05/ca...s-scott-turner
Old 01-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #186
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Story on Scott Turner working with Cam Newton:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/05/ca...s-scott-turner
Wouldn't be shocked if Cam came here for a year and Haskins learned behind him.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #187
JoeRedskin

Turner's plan for the Redskins:

https://youtu.be/IC5YozmvPpM
Old 01-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #188
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Turner's plan for the Redskins:

https://youtu.be/IC5YozmvPpM
That was a bad rick roll, you got roll right into the rick it started with some weird halo rap.

Come on man you are rusty.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #189
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
KOC was an OC for like 5 minutes as well, and presided over the worst offense in the league. Turner is, by default, an upgrade.
You're trying to make it into a black-and-white thing with the stats, but it's not so cut and dry.

We had the worst offense in the league because we stuck a rookie quarterback out there who wasn't ready, with 3 rookie wideouts and Trey Quinn/Paul Richardson, and a 3rd string TE as the starter. And your starting running back missed half the year, came back and played like 6ish? games and then got injured again, and his backup is a 35yo HOFer who isn't the guy he once was.

Whereas if you look at the detailed picture, you'd see after struggling initially Haskins and co. came on strong in the last 2 games before Haskins got hurt. So there are pieces to work with for next year, and acting like KOC should've hit the ground running as soon as he became playcaller, with the talent he had to work with, is asinine.

Anyways it's a moot point because KOC is leaving. But the shit on him here knowing the talent he had to work with and all the dysfunction on the coaching and training staffs is amazing. There's a reason multiple teams wanted to interview him after 2018.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #190
JoLo
Impact Rookie

I’m fine with letting KOC leave and if Turner is who RR wants in RR I trust. I’m stoked we hired him. However, my only concern is based off of the reports I’ve heard about Haskins ability to learn a playbook over the course of his first season. Unsure how true they are, but I’ve read multiple times he struggled to pickup the playbook so him having to start ALL over worries me especially when he was finally appearing to pick things up there at the end of the season. I hope it doesn’t look like we’re starting from scratch come week 1 next year. The one caveat to all that is The Grudens are known to have an unnecessarily complex playbook and play calling style.
JoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #191
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
KOC was an OC for like 5 minutes as well, and presided over the worst offense in the league. Turner is, by default, an upgrade.
Actually he was the OC the entire year. But that's besides the point. You're asking a young QB who played one year of college, struggled with the playbook, protections, formations and spitting out the plays correctly to start all over. Once he finally starts to get all that down and we see a little bit of progress you make him learn a new offense.

I feel that RR should have taken notice of the things I mentioned and left KOC in place because that was what's best for DH.

As others have mentioned everyone does the good old boy hires in the NFL. I get that. It's just part of the business that will never change.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #192
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
You're trying to make it into a black-and-white thing with the stats, but it's not so cut and dry.

We had the worst offense in the league because we stuck a rookie quarterback out there who wasn't ready, with 3 rookie wideouts and Trey Quinn/Paul Richardson, and a 3rd string TE as the starter. And your starting running back missed half the year, came back and played like 6ish? games and then got injured again, and his backup is a 35yo HOFer who isn't the guy he once was.

Whereas if you look at the detailed picture, you'd see after struggling initially Haskins and co. came on strong in the last 2 games before Haskins got hurt. So there are pieces to work with for next year, and acting like KOC should've hit the ground running as soon as he became playcaller, with the talent he had to work with, is asinine.

Anyways it's a moot point because KOC is leaving. But the shit on him here knowing the talent he had to work with and all the dysfunction on the coaching and training staffs is amazing. There's a reason multiple teams wanted to interview him after 2018.
This...
Old 01-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #193
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Actually he was the OC the entire year. But that's besides the point. You're asking a young QB who played one year of college, struggled with the playbook, protections, formations and spitting out the plays correctly to start all over. Once he finally starts to get all that down and we see a little bit of progress you make him learn a new offense.

I feel that RR should have taken notice of the things I mentioned and left KOC in place because that was what's best for DH.

As others have mentioned everyone does the good old boy hires in the NFL. I get that. It's just part of the business that will never change.
I want to play devil's advocate here. What if KOC disagree with Riveria's coaching/teaching strategies in general? Should Riveria still keep KOC, just for sake of the continuity?
GridIron26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:22 PM   #194
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Wouldn't be shocked if Cam came here for a year and Haskins learned behind him.
Haskins doesn't need to be sitting behind anyone. He needs to play.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #195
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
I want to play devil's advocate here. What if KOC disagree with Riveria's coaching/teaching strategies in general? Should Riveria still keep KOC, just for sake of the continuity?
No, I'm going on the assumption that RR wanted to bring in his own guy which is Norv's son.

Anyhow it looks like Scott Turner has certainly paid his dues as he's been an assistant since 2005.