Merged: The Movies Thread

Parking Lot

Old 03-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #181
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
Without a doubt, worst movie since Dungeons & Dragons ...

what a review!!!

Advertisements
Old 03-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #182
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
You're not alone... in fact most people were put off by the ending. But it's technically a near flawless film... it's going to be used over and over in film classes to dissect elements like cinematography, pacing and writing.

* Spoilers *

The movie works because it accomplishes the vision of the original book. NCFOM is a thematic movie, moreso than character-driven. The Coens have a knack for straying from traditional film structure- you didn't really have a "good guy protagonist" to root for, per se... there was Brolin's character, who played an average Joe- the audience wants him to get away with the money, but he still pulls off an unethical action (stealing money that's not his). Bardem's psycho character is definitely not the guy to root for, but he displays his own abstract sense of morality. And Tommy Lee Jones was the dude that verbalizes McCarthy's (the original book's author) overarching message- the world is becoming evil and good can no longer stop it... only fate can hope to stumble it...

Leaving out the death scenese for major characters is intentional to the overall theme. You're left wondering "wtf" during certain aftermath shots (and the ending) b/c the storytelling is so un-Hollywood. The movie's not wrapped up in a bowtie at the end and that surely pissed a bunch of people off.

/film geekness
I'm totally fine with the good guy not coming out on top ie Arlington Road cuz most of the time that actually sadly reflects real life. But with NCFOM, the ending just left me feeling no emotion what so ever. No "WTF" or a "hell yeah", just a "is that the end?" kind of thing. Pacing was decent and I wasn't blown away by the cinematography, but like I said the lack of any real substantial story or even character development just left me feeling like I had wasted the last almost 2 hours. I guess I just had different expectations tied to a movie of such high acclaim and felt like I had seen a completely different movie than everyone else.

oh and anyone looking for a good popcorn action flick, Doomsday was a kewl nod to classics like Road Warrior and Escape From New York.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #183
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
Without a doubt, worst movie since Dungeons & Dragons ...

I think it trumps the crappiness of D&D. Like I said I'd put it up there as one of the worst movies in a long, long time with the likes of Battlefield Earth, Catwoman, & Bloodrayne.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:19 AM   #184
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post

oh and anyone looking for a good popcorn action flick, Doomsday was a kewl nod to classics like Road Warrior and Escape From New York.
I've been looking forward to Doomsday... I loved the director's last film, "The Descent."
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #185
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
I've been looking forward to Doomsday... I loved the director's last film, "The Descent."
I've enjoyed his first 2 films now and I know one thing's for sure, this guy knows his gore.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #186
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
I've enjoyed his first 2 films now and I know one thing's for sure, this guy knows his gore.
Awesome that you saw Dog Soldiers too... very slept on.

Just saw Doomsday today- very different from the other two, but extremely enjoyable as what it was. Like the influences you mentioned above, it definitely payed homage to a bunch of different films (but stamped its own identity just the same). The guy knows how to shoot action and violence for sure.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #187
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Just saw "Into the wild".

Amazing little movie. I hit up one of those Redbox things in the grocery store and just rented it because I thought it looked good. Never heard of it... just sort of a spur of the moment decision.

Emile Hirsch puts on a pretty solid performance... If you're kind of a hippie you'll love this movie.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #188
KLHJ2
Inactive

POSSIBLE SPOILER

I recently saw Stop Loss and I am torn on wheter or not I like this movie. You must realize what it is first, which is a ploy to unite the bleeding hearts of the world to feel sorry for the U.S. servicesmembers who got stop lossed during Iraqi Freedom. It uses nothing but the pathos side of the argument all of the way through, but I will get more into that later. Secondly, this is a film made by Hollywood that attempts to bring you a story that hits home. Of course in Hollywood they have to spice it up a bit, because real life is apparently, boring.

Now before I rip this film to shreds I would like to point out that the acting was dead on. The actors really nailed the mannerisims, speech, and humor posessed by the average Army Soldier (each branch is slightly different). I also like the fact that the enlisted soldiers were getting some love in this movie. Most other military movies are always about those damn officers.

Now, in the beginning of the movie you saw a vehicle rapidly approaching a checkpoint. It would have gotten shot at if it hadn't slowed down within 50ft. In the movie it stopped at the last second, so it didn't get shot, but it would have at least gotten inspected.

When the second vehicle approached, it did get shot at, because it shot at the soldiers. When it drove off the soldiers chased it. Later in the movie they say that it was Standard Operating Proceedure. I can assure you that it is in no-ones proceedures to chase a vehicle away and into an alley. You might call in air support to track it down (if feesable). We are smarter than that.

I could go over all the things wrong in the alley, but that would take too long.

Without going into much more detail here are the rest of the flaws.

A LT. COL and a SSG would not have been buddy buddy like they were in that movie.

A Stop Loss is issued to either an entire MOS or to an entire Unit. In other words, both the Sergeant (Sniper school guy) and the Staff Sergeant (Main character) would have been stop lossed. Both were infantry, both were in the same unit, and both were ETSing (getting out).

Not everybody suffers from PTSD when they come home, but the movie portrayed it that way. (It was excellent acting though)

You will not get kicked out for getting drunk all of the time. You will get busted and your life will be miserable for a while, but you will not get kicked out. At least not as fast as the PFC was.

The Army does not use the old hand to hand techniques displayed in that movie. The old techniques kept getting soldiers asses whooped whenever they went on leave. Combatitives (similar to Bazillian Jujitsu or submission fighting) is used now instead.

The main Character would have been demoted to E-5 or SGT (possibly even E-4 in times of war) after beating up 2 MP's (If not Court Martialed).

And the headlock in the final fight scene at the graveyard was not locked.

Basically they made the main character and SSG's look like Puss***.

Everyone who enlists signs up for an 8 year obligation, and they are aware of it from day 1. The amount of years active duty vs. inactive duty is up to you unless you are at war. After 8 years they cannot stop loss you unless you are indefinate (over 10 and going to retire). The main character had 9 years. He would not have been Stop Lossed.

I can delve into this even deeper, but I have hit most of the points that I wanted to.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #189
MTK
\m/

Angry, did you see In the Valley of Elah?

If you did what were your thoughts on that?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #190
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Angry, did you see In the Valley of Elah?

If you did what were your thoughts on that?

Havent seen it yet. It is on my list.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #191
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

So I finally got around to seeing Juno tonight. Great movie. I laughed, I cried. If you see one movie with Michael Cera this year...make it this one
Old 04-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #192
onlydarksets
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So I finally got around to seeing Juno tonight. Great movie. I laughed, I cried. If you see one movie with Michael Cera this year...make it this one
What about Superbad?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #193
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
What about Superbad?
I didn't cry as much

Seriously though, I liked this one better. Ellen Page (Juno) was fantastic.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #194
onlydarksets
Playmaker

I saw it in the theater a couple of weeks ago. The concession dude mocked me for seeing it (I can't say I disagree with him, since the movie tix were a Christmas gift from my wife to see any movie that I wanted, and we wound up seeing the movie she wanted to see), but I thought it was pretty good. I'm shallow, though - I liked Superbad better.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #195
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I am usually a softie for movies but didnt shed any tears for this movie,liked the girls performance,just thought the movie was ok,does anybody still actually wear those kind of shorts? Out of the 3 movies I've seen that were up for oscars I've been dissapointed with all of them,Juno,there will be blood,no country
One that I was pleasantly surprised by was Walk Hard,surprised to see the lead really did all the singing,I'm going to buy the soundtrack