Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #181
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Over the years with the Redskins team regardless who the coach was or what era it was, since the end of the first Joe Gibbs era, players have been drafted or either signed by the Redskins front office and lasted a few years and then they are waived only to be picked up by other teams. Before you know it, those players end up with Super Bowl rings or at least Super Bowl appearances. Essentially what I'm suggesting is it's happened so often that I wouldn't be at all surprised if Brandon Banks is cut and then is picked up by one of the other 31 NFL teams and flourishes into one of the best return men in the NFL.

Case in point the most recent Redskin to benefit from no longer being a Redskin was Devin Thomas, who everybody in Redskins Nation don't think is that good. If Mike Shanahan wasn't that much of a micro managing head coach and overlooked what Thomas was doing, he might have still been on the Redskins roster and never earned a Super Bowl ring with the NYG. The fact of the matter is being released and picked up by other teams and then moving on to do better elsewhere has happened with former Redskins players more than it should have.

Last edited by REDSKINS4ever; 07-13-2012 at 12:59 PM.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #182
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Over the years with the Redskins team regardless who the coach was or what era it was, since the end of the first Joe Gibbs era, players have been drafted or either signed by the Redskins front office and lasted a few years and then they are waived only to be picked up by other teams. Before you know it, those players end up with Super Bowl rings or at least Super Bowl appearances. Essentially what I'm suggesting is it's happened so often that I wouldn't be at all surprised if Brandon Banks is cut and then is picked up by one of the other 31 NFL teams and flourishes into one of the best return men in the NFL.

Case in point the most recent Redskin to benefit from no longer being a Redskin was Devin Thomas, who everybody in Redskins Nation don't think is that good. If Mike Shanahan wasn't that much of a micro managing head coach and overlooked what Thomas was doing, he might have still been on the Redskins roster and never earned a Super Bowl ring with the NYG. The fact of the matter is being released and picked up by other teams and then moving on to do better elsewhere has happened with former Redskins players more than it should have.
And what I would suggest is more often than not players don't succeed after leaving here, it's just we remember the ones who do

And Devin Thomas getting a ring was just dumb luck. Not a product of him being so great. We don't miss Devin Thomas...do we?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #183
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Banks is a better return man than Thomas right? Well thats y he was cut because he's a horrible WR, he won a ring doing pretty much nothing with the giants
Old 07-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #184
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
And what I would suggest is more often than not players don't succeed after leaving here, it's just we remember the ones who do

And Devin Thomas getting a ring was just dumb luck. Not a product of him being so great. We don't miss Devin Thomas...do we?
Of a surety I don't miss seeing Devin Thomas in a Redskins uniform at all. Yes, the Giants playoff run through Green Bay and San Francisco was a fluke that never should have happened.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #185
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I don't miss Devin Thomas. The guy still can't run a route. The Giants can have him and the tiny role that he plays on their team. He's still a waste of roster space.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #186
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Of a surety I don't miss seeing Devin Thomas in a Redskins uniform at all. Yes, the Giants playoff run through Green Bay and San Francisco was a fluke that never should have happened.
So what's your argument here? You claim that if we cut Banks he will move on to tear it up with another team. As evidence for this claim, you cite...Devin Thomas? And then you say you don't miss Thomas?
We won more with Vinny
Old 07-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #187
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I don't miss Devin Thomas. The guy still can't run a route. The Giants can have him and the tiny role that he plays on their team. He's still a waste of roster space.
He is a waste of a roster space for the Bears now if I'm not mistaken.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #188
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
He is a waste of a roster space for the Bears now if I'm not mistaken.
You are correct, good catch.
We won more with Vinny
Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #189
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

If your argument for post-Redskins success is Devin Thomas, you are setting the bar tremendously low.

Last edited by mooby; 07-13-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Because Herp Derpson told me to.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #190
MTK
\m/

This thread...

wtf
Old 07-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #191
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:

Desmond Howard would be a lot better example than Devin Thomas,but Shanahan didnt cut Howard so we cant blame him for that
Old 07-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #192
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Mike Shanahan just told me I need to learn how to hyper-classify Chesterfield oysters.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #193
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
So what's your argument here? You claim that if we cut Banks he will move on to tear it up with another team. As evidence for this claim, you cite...Devin Thomas? And then you say you don't miss Thomas?
No, I don't miss Thomas. What did he ever do while he was in Washington? He only had one productive game for the Redskins, catching 6 passes for 101 yards in a 2009 game against New Orleans. I mentioned Thomas because he was the last Redskin to be waived only to end up on a Super Bowl team. If the Redskins give up on Banks, whose to say Banks won't become a dangerous return man with another NFL team or win a Super Bowl ring with another team?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #194
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Mike Shanahan just told me I need to learn how to hyper-classify Chesterfield oysters.
I needed that this morning, thanks Alvin!! I can always count on you

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #195
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Post Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Quote:

Name former skins who have played a significant role in the success of their following teams not named Antonio Pierce
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote