Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #166
FRPLG
MVP

Re: Redskins "Name Change" Volume 10000000

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
i just think it's weird that so many "analysts" and "journalists" are taking it up to talk on behalf of people that can speak for themselves.
Do-gooder progressive white people are the worst. They do-good not out of principle but out of guilt, ignorance, and arrogance. That's what is so ridiculous about this. These buffoons have sort of moved this issue to the point where they're starting to establish "Redskins" are ubiquitously offensive. Not that any actual group is offended by it but a tiny vocal percentage of a group is and because these people are wired to try and please all people all the time they just have to do something about it. Most of the media can't actually articulate why it is offensive or who actually is offended. They just know a few people have said it is so it must be. Not critical thought at all. For these people doing good has no end. I'll really care about this when a substantive group of Native Americans band together and present a cogent argument as to why it is offensive and has been for some period of time. Since it seems a more substantive group of them actually consider it an honorary name I doubt we'll see that any time soon.

Advertisements
Old 09-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #167
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Reilly makes good points, but he's ignoring some of the points on the other side. And it's a bit of a stretch to compare the moving people to reservations to those that support the name change.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #168
hooskins

That being said, points like the state of Oklahoma and the origins of the name should be discussed.

I
Old 09-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #169
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Reilly makes good points, but he's ignoring some of the points on the other side. And it's a bit of a stretch to compare the moving people to reservations to those that support the name change.
I agree. While I really like the positive points that Reilly makes, like Native American schools having Redskins mascots, he seems to imply that there is no Native American opposition to the name. Recent attempts to protest the name by the Oneida Nation, no matter how flawed or small, show that that is not true.

Personally I think that Dan Snyder should use his cash resources to help the Oneida Nation and others like them. Win the opposition over with gifts and there will be few left to complain.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 09-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #170
MTK
\m/

The media can pump up this issue up all they want, but at the end of the day there's just not strong enough opposition out there to push a name change. The media can also make it seem like it's a bigger issue today than it was 20-30 years ago, but it's just not.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #171
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
What points?
Old 09-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #172
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I agree. While I really like the positive points that Reilly makes, like Native American schools having Redskins mascots, he seems to imply that there is no Native American opposition to the name. Recent attempts to protest the name by the Oneida Nation, no matter how flawed or small, show that that is not true.

Personally I think that Dan Snyder should use his cash resources to help the Oneida Nation and others like them. Win the opposition over with gifts and there will be few left to complain.
If 1 in 10 Native Americans are offended yet some other larger percentage actually find it to be an honor who wins?

I'd certainly want to hear more about it if say 25 or 30% were offended but that isn't the case.

The reality is there are always a small percentage of nay group that are upset by something...that doesn't mean they are right.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #173
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

well dallas fans are offended by cowboys because they are cowmen
Old 09-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #174
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
What points?
For every school that's kept the name redskins there are schools that have changed their name. If you'd like examples I can get them but they've been well documented.

The historical origins of the name are a racial slur.

And finally, equating those that want a name change to the reservations movement is a bit...extreme?
Old 09-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #175
hooskins

Quote:

I agree.

Florida st and the ncaa have gotten buy in from a Seminole tribe. There have been times when they've had strained relationships, but its better than no communication.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #176
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
If 1 in 10 Native Americans are offended yet some other larger percentage actually find it to be an honor who wins?

I'd certainly want to hear more about it if say 25 or 30% were offended but that isn't the case.

The reality is there are always a small percentage of nay group that are upset by something...that doesn't mean they are right.
I agree about there always being someone who will whine. And the "How many must be offended?" question remains in the eyes of the beholder.

Someone should do an independent, impartial survey of Native American attitudes and publicize it widely. Earlier surveys were either not impartial or not well publicized.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 09-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #177
hooskins

Quote:
I agree about there always being someone who will whine. And the "How many must be offended?" question remains in the eyes of the beholder.

Someone should do an independent, impartial survey of Native American attitudes and publicize it widely. Earlier surveys were either not impartial or not well publicized.
That would great. Would be great to see the NFL and various tribes could come together to find someone to do a proper survey.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #178
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Please prove it.

The name wasn't originally used as a slur, nor is it used that way by us.

People who are offended should sue Hollywood. That's where the majority of the bigotry associated with the name came from, and where the most money to actually do some good for the NA population is anyways. Heck, we should join that lawsuit on the activists side for the damage those old westerns causes our own name brand.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #179
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
For every school that's kept the name redskins there are schools that have changed their name. If you'd like examples I can get them but they've been well documented.

And finally, equating those that want a name change to the reservations movement is a bit...extreme?
The historical origins of the name came from Indians themselves, and they did not mean it as a racial slur against their own people.

As to the High Schools that have changed their name. That is not much justification, because the schools with heavy Indian population are not for the name change.

You brought up Florida State. But even that is not much of a point because the Indians that want the names to be changed have called the Seminole tribe that OK'd the name a bunch of sell outs. The Indians that you are defending are still against Florida State being called the Seminoles and call Florida State using the name racist. If they are the only ones you are willing to listen to, then you should be against Florida State being called the Seminoles.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #180
SirLK26
The Starter

Closed Thread